Boston Celtics' P.J. Dozier, Reggie Lewis' cousin, gets first minutes as a Celtic in win over Cavaliers

4 posters

Go down

Boston Celtics' P.J. Dozier, Reggie Lewis' cousin, gets first minutes as a Celtic in win over Cavaliers Empty Boston Celtics' P.J. Dozier, Reggie Lewis' cousin, gets first minutes as a Celtic in win over Cavaliers

Post by bobheckler Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:13 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2018/12/boston_celtics_pj_dozier_reggi.html

Boston Celtics' P.J. Dozier, Reggie Lewis' cousin, gets first minutes as a Celtic in win over Cavaliers

Updated 8:38 AM; Posted 8:35 AM

Boston Celtics' P.J. Dozier, Reggie Lewis' cousin, gets first minutes as a Celtic in win over Cavaliers Pj-dozier-523a51963346ff47
P.J. Dozier got his regular-season Boston Celtics debut against the Cleveland Cavaliers. (AP Photo / Charles Krupa)

By Tom Westerholm

BOSTON -- When P.J. Dozier was choosing a number with the Oklahoma City Thunder prior to the 2017-18 season, he went with 35 -- the former number of a family member who passed away.

This summer, Dozier agreed to a two-way contract with the Boston Celtics. The only problem: The No. 35 is retired for the Celtics in honor of that family member, Dozier's late cousin Reggie Lewis.

"When I was able to have the opportunity to sign a two-way with the Celtics, that's the first thing I thought about," Dozier said on Friday, when asked about playing for Lewis' old team. "Giving God all the thanks for the great blessing, and being able to share it with my family is a great blessing."

For the record, Dozier -- who dropped seven points in his Celtics debut vs. the Cleveland Cavaliers -- now wears the No. 50.

Lewis was part of a transition period for the Celtics, rising through the ranks in the early 1990s when the Larry Bird era was coming to a close. He was an All-Star in 1992, and he averaged 20.8 points per game in both 1991-92 and 1992-93. At an offseason practice in the summer of 1993, Lewis collapsed -- for the second time in a matter of months -- and couldn't be revived. His passing was attributed to a heart condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, one of the more common causes of death among young athletes.

Dozier -- Lewis' first cousin on his father's side -- is just 22, so he has only ever seen clips of his star relative.

Still, "it's crazy," Dozier said. "He was a talented guy, and from what I hear, even a better guy off the court, so it's definitely a blessing."

Dozier got his first minutes with the Celtics on Friday in a blowout victory, and he made the most of them. His first basket was a tip-in -- leaping and stretching to finish off a miss by Semi Ojeleye. Less than a minute later, he smashed home a two-handed dunk on a missed layup by Brad Wanamaker, then he buried a corner triple on the next possession off a kick-out by Wanamaker.

"The atmosphere was crazy," Dozier said. "That's what we all dream about, coming out and playing in front of a great crowd like this."

Players on two-way contracts often don't get playing time even when they are called up to their NBA team. Two-way deals only allow for 45 days in the NBA per season, so those players are almost never a part of a regular rotation. For that reason, Brad Stevens didn't expect Dozier to get in the game when the Celtics called him up.

"You're hoping to say hello, and maybe eat a meal together, and enjoy warm-ups and those type of things," Stevens said, when asked on Saturday what he wants to see from two-way guys. "But he's got to be ready, and we were fortunate enough to be in the situation where we could play our whole bench last night, and if we had to go into that position last night, we didn't have enough guards. With Jaylen out, with Al sitting out, it made sense to bring him. If we would have had anybody else out tonight, we would have flown him (to Minnesota) with us. I just think the more nights you have 13 available bodies the better, and obviously I think he did a good job when he got in there."

Robert Williams was only vaguely aware of Dozier's family history with the Celtics, but he played against Dozier at Texas A&M. The wing hit a big three against the Aggies in one showdown ("We ain't gonna speak on that," Williams said, grinning), and Williams has now had some time in Maine with Dozier.

Williams believes the 22-year-old has a bright future.

"P.J. dedicates it all to the team man, all the energy. Even when its dull moments he's trying to pick everybody up," Williams said. "He's a leader, even amongst older guys. I actually kind of followed in his footsteps a little, just the stuff he was doing when I first got here. He taught me a little bit.

"All I know, that's my brother, man. He got 100 percent effort."

bob
MY NOTE: Did not know Dozier was Reggie's cousin. Dozier looked good in the minutes he got. Garbage time, true, but it would be even worse if he stunk it up in garbage time. He's almost 6'7" with a 6'11" wingspan. If he can shoot, and he can, then he is exactly the type of player Brad and Danny love.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics' P.J. Dozier, Reggie Lewis' cousin, gets first minutes as a Celtic in win over Cavaliers Empty Re: Boston Celtics' P.J. Dozier, Reggie Lewis' cousin, gets first minutes as a Celtic in win over Cavaliers

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:48 pm

Don’t remember seeing him play, but now will be looking for him and rooting for him!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics' P.J. Dozier, Reggie Lewis' cousin, gets first minutes as a Celtic in win over Cavaliers Empty Re: Boston Celtics' P.J. Dozier, Reggie Lewis' cousin, gets first minutes as a Celtic in win over Cavaliers

Post by dboss Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:47 pm

We have not talked about this kid at all.

When he went in the game the other night, I had no idea who he was. He is another wing player with great length that can handle the ball.

Here is a video from 2017 pre draft http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/P.J.-Dozier-7268/videos/

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:16 pm

Here's Dozier highlights from the Cleveland blow out last Friday.  7 points on 3-5, 1-1 from 3 and 4 rebounds in 6 minutes.  He's wearing #50.  He wears #35 in Maine, to honor his cousin Reggie Lewis, but he can't wear it in Boston, obviously.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:24 pm

I guess he really does replace Jabari Bird
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:24 pm

I was watching the game, and trying to figure out who the heck #50 was when Mike Gorman said his name. He score.d a basket shortly after that.

On another note, When will the Bird situation be resolved? Or will they carry him for the year? There is no talk whatsoever about him, not even his name. Strange that he has not gone to court yet, this kid must really be messed up. Such a sad story.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:31 pm

Rosalie

I too was wondering about that. We have heard nothing. No updates.

He has a guaranteed contract for this year and since he has been diagnosed with mental problems Boston will not be able to get out of the contract.

Next year he will not be on the roster.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:37 pm

even if he is a convicted felon? I thought there was something about them being able to cut him if he violated the rules of the NBA. When everything was fresh, it had been said that it was all in the hands of the NBA. Interesting and sad
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:37 pm

dboss wrote:I guess he really does replace Jabari Bird

dboss,

The pre-draft knock on Dozier is that he doesn't have a great outside game, which separates him from Bird who could shoot well. He sure looked confident on that 3 he took and hit but who knows in the bigger picture? I've watched some highlight games of his since that game on Friday. He looks really nifty, to quote Tommy, on getting to the rim and has great athleticism. Defensively his almost 7' wingspan earns him a lot of pass deflections.

As far as Jabari Bird's situation goes, no news since September. The league is still reviewing it and Danny is in wait mode. They're probably trying to give the kid the benefit of the doubt and are waiting until the DA decides what to do. In the end I don't think it matters. He's either going to go to trial or he's going to be referred to a mental health professional, or both, and when he is he will be released by the Celtics because of his unavailability.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:11 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:even if he is a convicted felon?  I thought there was something about them being able to cut him if he violated the rules of the NBA.  When everything was fresh, it had been said that it was all in the hands of the NBA.  Interesting and sad

Jabari Bird has a very serious mental problem.  Although his act was a felony the NBA may treat it as an impairment just like any other injury.  

Since the Celtics were at least aware that he had some issues before the incident they accepted that risk and signed him to a new contract.  I assume that he was expected to get counseling even before the incident occurred.  

The NBA has the ultimate power in this instance

I think the Celtics are on the hook for his salary this year.  I think Bird has been placed on Administrative Leave by the NBA with pay and is required to undergo counseling.  See Section 8. Counseling for Violent Misconduct under the CBA.

https://nbpa.com/cba/

Regardless of what happens this year, he has a nonguaranteed contract next year and I do not see the Celtics retaining his services.  His opportunity to ever play in the NBA is probably over.  Maybe he can find work overseas.

I wish him the best.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:51 pm

Sad story, isn't it? I wonder if they will even touch him overseas. My thoughts are with him as mental illness can destroy a person's life. He had the world by the tail here. Too bad
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:53 pm

Roalie it is very sad.

I hope that through counseling he will be able to exorcise his demons.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down