Chris Herren In Town

5 posters

Go down

Chris Herren In Town Empty Chris Herren In Town

Post by dbrown4 Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:55 pm

Hey Guys and Gal,

Just wanted to let you know I'll be seeing Chris Herren live tonight here in Raleigh! A very good church friend of mine and our family invited me to see him. This is the second time he's been here. I missed the first time. Told my friend if he EVER comes back, please let me know. While the 30 for 30 Unguarded is in my humble but accurate opinion the best of all the ESPN documentaries, my buddy says seeing him live is an unforgettable, one in a lifetime experience. Can't wait! Will let you all know how it goes!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Chris Herren In Town Empty Re: Chris Herren In Town

Post by swish Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:53 pm

dbrown4 wrote:Hey Guys and Gal,

Just wanted to let you know I'll be seeing Chris Herren live tonight here in Raleigh!  A very good church friend of mine and our family invited me to see him.  This is the second time he's been here.  I missed the first time.  Told my friend if he EVER comes back, please let me know.  While the 30 for 30 Unguarded is in my humble but accurate opinion the best of all the ESPN documentaries, my buddy says seeing him live is an unforgettable, one in a lifetime experience.  Can't wait!  Will let you all know how it goes!

db  

dbbrown4

I followed his career closely when he was starring for Durfee High school of Fall River Ma. He's come back from the depts. On ocassion I get to chat with Chris Sullivan here in North Attleboro Ma. -  ex Patriot who is travelling the same road as Herron. Great human interest stories.

swish

Last edited by swish on Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:55 pm

It is still oh so sad that so many young people still choose the drugs to help them solve their problems.

dbrown, you are correct the 30-30 on Herron was a magnificent show.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:21 am

What a great presentation live! I can't watch the 30 for 30 without balling like a baby, (and I've seen it at least 5 times all the way through) but ESPN leaves a whole lot out vs. his live presentation. This was done at a private school here in Raleigh where he came back after 6 years from the first time he was here.

One of the most amazing stories he told as he was in and out of rehab was one counselor told him he was going to get him back on the right track, straighten his life out and to meet him in his office at 10pm to get started. At this point Chris was at what turned out to be his last "bottoming out" and knocks on the counselor's door precisely at 10 pm in the rehab center. After being told to enter, the counselor throws a cell phone at him and tells him, "You think things are difficult in your life right now? I'm going to make you do the most difficult thing you can ever imagine...you are going to sit down and call your wife tonight. You are going to tell her tonight you will never see her again. You will not talk to your children on this call. And then after she gets over the total shock of this which could be then or weeks or months, but you will instruct her to tell your children that their father will never be around anymore because you have died."

That person was not messing around!! OMG! Absolutely brutal. I got so caught up in the mere gut-wrenching part of that, I missed what happened next! Obviously, he didn't make that call but it was the mindset he had to to get into to get the process going without falling back in. That meeting was August 1, 2008 which he points out was his first day sober. He has been clean ever since.

We all either have addictions, mild or extreme, or know family members and/or friends who have them. Chris' story is so extreme or at least told with such brutal honesty that our stories pale in comparison. But you can relate for part or some of a side by side walk with him. But they all leave a huge mess behind them.

Chris is doing the main address today to the students as what I saw was for the parents. There were some kids there last night.

I love what Chris says right off the top. "I am not here today to talk to you about how to reach your goals. I'm here to show you a complete mess on how your life can get completely out of control." Priceless.

He one hope and reason for doing these speeches is he hopes to help just one kid, one parent get out of their addiction. He'll have a room of about 550 children today. God bless him!

db

dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:31 am

There truly can be Redemption. This is Chris Herren earning his.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:36 am

WOW!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content