Atlanta Hawks’ DeAndre’ Bembry on Marcus Smart ejection and explosion: “that’s what he does”

+4
worcester
mrkleen09
Ktronic1
bobheckler
8 posters

Go down

Atlanta Hawks’ DeAndre’ Bembry on Marcus Smart ejection and explosion: “that’s what he does” Empty Atlanta Hawks’ DeAndre’ Bembry on Marcus Smart ejection and explosion: “that’s what he does”

Post by bobheckler Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:20 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/01/atlanta-hawks-deandre-bembry-on-marcus-smart-ejection-and-explosion-thats-what-he-does.html

Atlanta Hawks’ DeAndre’ Bembry on Marcus Smart ejection and explosion: “that’s what he does”

Updated Jan 19, 8:12 PM; Posted Jan 19, 8:12 PM

Atlanta Hawks’ DeAndre’ Bembry on Marcus Smart ejection and explosion: “that’s what he does” JFWLI7QGX5H6FDANVA6CHAIGTQ
Atlanta Hawks forward DeAndre' Bembry (95) walks to the bench holding his lip in the second half of an NBA basketball game against the Boston Celtics on Saturday, Jan. 19, 2019, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/Todd Kirkland) (Todd Kirkland)

By John Karalis | JKaralis@masslive.com

Marcus Smart seemed calm when he and DeAndre' Bembry lined up next to each other for a jump ball with 7:35 left in the third quarter of the Boston Celtics game against the Atlanta Hawks. There’s always jostling, and Marcus Smart is never shy about giving someone a bump or a choice word. Even when he turned to face Bembry in the middle of their exchange, he gave the Hawks forward a tap on the side as if he was letting something go.

At that same moment, both were whistled for technical fouls, which was Smart’s second, leading to an automatic ejection. After the game, Bembry gave his side of the story, saying he was merely defending a teammate.

Brad Rowland
✔️
@BTRowland
· 13h
DeAndre’ Bembry on keeping his cool when Marcus Smart got ejected: “I’m good on taking a $50,000 fine.”

Brad Rowland
✔️
@BTRowland
Bembry said he stepped in when Smart said something to Trae Young and he was getting his teammate’s back.

7:35 PM - Jan 19, 2019

Bembry, a third-year forward from St. Joseph’s University, then commented about Smart’s propensity for getting into showdowns like this, saying "that’s what he does. You obviously see him doing that plenty of times. It happens. I just tried to keep my cool. I’m trying to win the game.”

Brad Rowland
✔️
@BTRowland
· 13h
Replying to @BTRowland
Bembry said he stepped in when Smart said something to Trae Young and he was getting his teammate’s back.

Brad Rowland
✔️
@BTRowland
Bembry on Smart: “That’s what he does. You obviously see him doing that plenty of times. It happens. I just tried to keep my cool. I’m trying to win the game.”

Also said Smart lost his cool after the referee told him he was ejected.

7:39 PM - Jan 19, 2019

Bembry mostly stayed out of the altercation after the double-technical fouls. Smart made a dash at Bembry but was caught before any punches could be thrown, but there is now a question as to whether that rush will cost him a big fine or a suspension. For Bembry, keeping cool was as much about saving his money as it was avoiding an actual fight.

Brad Rowland
✔️
@BTRowland
DeAndre’ Bembry on keeping his cool when Marcus Smart got ejected: “I’m good on taking a $50,000 fine.”

7:34 PM - Jan 19, 2019

bob
MY NOTE: OH MY GOD!!! Can you believe this!? Marcus Smart actually SAID something bad to Trae Young! Poor Trae Young. I hope it doesn't permanently damage his psyche for the rest of his life. Maybe we should start a Go Fund Me page to finance his therapy.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Atlanta Hawks’ DeAndre’ Bembry on Marcus Smart ejection and explosion: “that’s what he does” Empty Re: Atlanta Hawks’ DeAndre’ Bembry on Marcus Smart ejection and explosion: “that’s what he does”

Post by Ktronic1 Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:56 pm

I’m willing to bet my mortgage that Bembry said something pertaining to Marcus’ mother. That’s the only reason l can see to make him go after him like that.
And if that’s the case, then I don’t fault Marcus at all.
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Atlanta Hawks’ DeAndre’ Bembry on Marcus Smart ejection and explosion: “that’s what he does” Empty Re: Atlanta Hawks’ DeAndre’ Bembry on Marcus Smart ejection and explosion: “that’s what he does”

Post by mrkleen09 Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:40 pm

This all starts with two bonehead calls in a row by Scott Foster (one of the most arrogant assholes in the NBA), Marcus was playing his ass off and getting no calls.

The NBA is soft as a sneaker full of mud at this point. My favorite sport, but really becoming something that doesn't resemble the game I fell in love with.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:01 pm

Marcus's mom died recently. Must be a sensitive subject for him.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:14 am

I'm as big a Smart fan as anybody, but that mom stuff is a hell of an assumption to make without a scintilla of evidence, gentlemen.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:11 am

Was there a ruling on Smart yet from the home office?
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:28 am

jrleftfoot wrote:I'm as big a Smart fan as anybody, but that mom stuff is a hell of an assumption to make without a scintilla of evidence, gentlemen.

I agree. On both counts.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:34 am

dbrown4 wrote:Was there a ruling on Smart yet from the home office?

Adam Himmelsbach @AdamHimmelsbach
about 12 minutes ago
Per a source, the league has not made a final decision yet about disciplining Marcus Smart for his actions in the Hawks game.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:11 pm

Interesting that it's taking this long. Do you think they may not discipline him? It's just not like Marcus to go off like that. It's funny because the first time I looked at him, he looks like someone you don't want to get on the wrong side of. However, looks are deceiving. And he's had plenty of time and opportunities to go off and never has. Always keeping his cool.

Nah. They have to do something. Opens up too many cans of worms if they don't.
Probably give him the minimum one game.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:17 pm

I did not see the game. What did Marcus actually do or say to invoke the wrath of the NBA?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:28 pm

worcester wrote:I did not see the game. What did Marcus actually do or say to invoke the wrath of the NBA?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:33 pm

John Karalis @RedsArmy_John
about 23 minutes ago
Marcus Smart fined $35K, no suspension, for his altercation in Atlanta
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:35 pm

Nice! First offense I'm going to guess! Watch him go for 30 tonight!! 10-10 from 3-ville!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:12 pm

Smart didnot deserve the T for talking, but after that...whew! Thanks for the clip Bob.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:22 pm

I seriously think Bembey has Smart confused with someone else.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:15 pm

I'm with dbrown4. Maybe he thought Marcus was Markelle Fultz.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:29 pm

That works, jrleftfoot!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:17 pm

Kyrie made a remark after the game that they all know Marcus and what he brings to the game He said Smart will take his punishment, but....something set him off...I don't care what they say. Only Smart will be the one to tell and it seems like he isn't talking. If he was going crazy after the tech, he was NOT going after the ref, so that guy said something.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:25 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Kyrie made a remark after the game that they all know Marcus and what he brings to the game He said Smart will take his punishment, but....something set him off...I don't care what they say. Only Smart will be the one to tell and it seems like he isn't talking.  If he was going crazy after the tech, he was NOT going after the ref, so that guy said something.
No doubt he said something. I just don't think we can assume it had to do with Smart's mother. We may never know. I'm just glad he wasn't suspended. We'll need his energy against the Heat tonight.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:29 pm

You are right there, I am shocked he did not get suspended. This is what makes me wonder just what that jerk said.

I Hayward playing tonight?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:40 pm

Don't see him listed as out.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:48 pm

Just read that he is expected to play, rosalie
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:47 pm

jrleftfoot wrote:I'm as big a Smart fan as anybody, but that mom stuff is a hell of an assumption to make without a scintilla of evidence, gentlemen.
No one stated it as fact. Although I cannot think of what else could have been said to set him off like that it is Purely my assumption.
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down