kdp59
KyleCleric
steve3344
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sixers trade for Tobias Harris Empty Sixers trade for Tobias Harris

Post by steve3344 Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:56 am

Gives them a very formidable starting five. They will be a handful to play against. They also picked up the very productive mountain man Boban Marjanovic.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sixers-acquire-tobias-harris-clippers-complex-trade-report-074402168.html

This affects us in another way as well: Clippers, who are currently one game ahead of Sacramento, will now be significantly weaker going forward and will most probably finish behind the Kings, weakening our draft pick (currently #14).

Just hours before this trade was announced Harris had 34 points and hit 6 of 7 threes as the Clips beat the Hornets in Charlotte. Clips main goal in this trade was to acquire Miami's 2021 unprotected first round draft pick owned by Philly. Harris will be an unrestricted free agent after this season so it's a gamble to include that pick to get him. But they're clearly in a win-now mode. Clips, on the other hand, have declared "no mas." After starting the season a surprising 15-6 and leading their division for awhile, they're only 15-19 since then. They saw the writing on the wall.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Sixers trade for Tobias Harris Empty Re: Sixers trade for Tobias Harris

Post by KyleCleric Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:27 am

If Clippers are targeting Davis, gets them 2 firsts, 2 seconds, and a prospect in Shamet closer.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:40 am

Adrian Wojnarowski

Verified account

@wojespn
Follow Follow @wojespn
More
Sources: Clippers and Sixers have agreed to trade Tobias Harris, Boban Marjanovic, Mike Scott for Landry Shamet, Wilson Chandler, Mike Muscala, 2020 first-rounder, 2021 unprotected 1st via Miami and two second rounders.

the full trade as reported

I was just reading this trade MAY be an effort to go hard at Anthony Davis by the clippers now.

They can offer a deal around Gallinari (for salary match) one of the rookie guards they selected in this past years draft and all four draft picks they got from Philly.

we'll know soon I guess.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:18 am

Is the next shoe to drop the Sixers trading Jimmy Butler for AD? Star for star.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:30 am

bobheckler wrote:Is the next shoe to drop the Sixers trading Jimmy Butler for AD?  Star for star.

bob

I wouldn’t expect that move. Butler isn’t likely to re-sign after that deal

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:32 am

bobheckler wrote:Is the next shoe to drop the Sixers trading Jimmy Butler for AD?  Star for star.

bob

everything I've read says Brand feels he now has the main four players he wants to keep around for a while. But one never knows.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:41 am

Tobias in insurance in case Butler bolts, younger and better too.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:56 am

It will be interesting to see what avenue the Clippers take after this trade.
Will they use the newly acquired draft picks to make an offer for AD?
Do they go full seller mode and look to trade Gallinari and Lou Williams for additional assets?
Doing so they would would accrue additional draft picks and almost certainly keep their 1st round pick this year.
Moving off of Gallinari's $22.6m salary next would be huge for the Clippers summer of 2019 free agency hopes.

As for Philly, their starting line up is scary good now.
They still need bench scoring.
I would not be surprised if they flipped Markelle Fultz for a Terrance Ross or Julius Randle type of player.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:13 am

tjmakz wrote:It will be interesting to see what avenue the Clippers take after this trade.
Do they go full seller mode and look to trade Gallinari and Lou Williams for additional assets?
Doing so they would would accrue additional draft picks and almost certainly keep their 1st round pick this year.
Moving off of Gallinari's $22.6m salary next would be huge for the Clippers summer of 2019 free agency hopes.

I would not be surprised if they flipped Markelle Fultz for a Terrance Ross or Julius Randle type of player.

TJ,

I'd be surprised if they flipped Markelle Fultz for a box of Krispy Kremes.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:35 am

Might be the only player harder to trade then GH....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:39 am

bobheckler wrote:
tjmakz wrote:It will be interesting to see what avenue the Clippers take after this trade.

TJ,

I'd be surprised if they flipped Markelle Fultz for a box of Krispy Kremes.

bob

I think Fultz is a terrible basketball player.
It might be worth it for Orlando, New Orleans or Phoenix to take a chance on him for 1 more year.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:43 am

Lonzo Ball is pretty bad too....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:16 pm

This looks like a salary dump by the Clippers and admission that they were not going to resign Tobias Harris.  He will be unrestricted this year so why not trade him.  The value of adding 2 first and 2 seconds could signal a move for Davis but now that they traded their best player they do not have enough talent or salary for match purposes to go after AD.

NOLA is not looking for a lot of expiring contracts and I seriously doubt that Gallinari who is injury prone and still owed $21 million is a marketable player.

The Clippers much talked about plan is to add 2 max contract players this summer.  The additional picks can help them fill in the roster moving forward as thy have a lot of players coming up on expiring contracts.

The Sixers are putting together an interesting team.  Harris is the modern day PF (Stretch 4) who can shoot rebound and defend.  The cost to retain both Butler and Harris will be two max level deals.  Harris is just entering his prime at age 26.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:48 pm

Give the Sixers credit for trying to make a legit run at it this year. The East is wide open, so this would be the year to do it.

However, I find it very hard to believe they can afford 4 stars on one team - both financially and ego wise. And who is coming off the bench in Philly?

From Washington Post Article Today

Although Harris is a very good and underrated player, he’s not a great one. He’s played a grand total of four playoff games during his eight-year career, he’s a low-impact defender, and he’s set to hit free agency this summer after turning down a four-year, $80 million offer from the Clippers.

As such, the Sixers have backed themselves into quite the predicament: Letting Harris walk this summer is out of the question after parting with so many draft picks, but paying him top-dollar will be painful and could make re-signing Butler prohibitively expensive. An ESPN.com report indicated that Philadelphia is committed to paying both Butler and Harris, but that approach would drastically limit the franchise’s ability to add depth and would amount to going all-in on a core that might not quite be title-ready.

Given that Philadelphia has now traded five rotation players to acquire Butler and Harris, the inclusions of Marjanovic and Scott should be viewed as more than footnotes. Marjanovic can easily be played off the court by many opponents, but the lumbering 7-foot-3 center is an efficient finisher who can fill minutes and give fouls behind Embiid. Meanwhile, Scott was an unheralded member of L.A.’s potent bench. As a passable stretch four, he will see rotation minutes given Philadelphia’s top-heavy roster construction. After parting with Shamet, a quality shooter who hit the ground running as a rookie, Philadelphia could really, really, really use a Markelle Fultz resurrection in time for the playoffs. To justify this trade’s risks and costs, the Sixers need to make the Eastern Conference finals at minimum.

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:52 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Might be the only player harder to trade then GH....

Chandler Parsons.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:31 pm

I don't think the Pelicans are going to give Randle away . He has been a solid big with Davis this year, and he is still improving and tough. Not sure what the Sixers can get for Fultz but I expect him to be part of a multi player trade because no one knows what to expect from him. So far he is damaged goods.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:37 pm

tardust wrote:

I don't think the Pelicans are going to give Randle away .  He has been a solid big with Davis this year,  and he is still improving and tough. Not sure what the Sixers can get for Fultz but I expect him to be part of a multi player trade because no one knows what to expect from him.  So far he is damaged goods.

Randle has a $9m player option that he probably won't exercise next year. They will probably lose Randle in July as so many teams will have cap space.
If New Orleans trades AD by tomorrow or they don't play him the rest of the year so he doesn't get hurt, New Orleans would be looking to get the best possible draft pick this year.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:48 pm

I can't imagine the Pelicans wanting a Butler headache.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:55 pm

tjmakz wrote: If New Orleans trades AD by tomorrow or they don't play him the rest of the year so he doesn't get hurt, New Orleans would be looking to get the best possible draft pick this year.

I dont know what the recourse may be, but if this happens - the NBA has a serious problem on their hands. After the whole Kawhi Leonard debacle last year, and Jimmy Butler earlier this season - they are going to have a knock down battle during the next collective bargaining session.

They simply cannot allow a team or a player with 19 months left on his contract to just opt out of playing to preserve his trade value. He is being paid to play basketball for the Pelicans, until he isnt. I think the league is on a very slippery slope.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:20 pm

I agree with Kleen.

Do you remember when the NBA bitched with POP for sitting healthy starters down for one game?

NOLA cannot sit a healthy Davis for the remainder of the season. Maybe they can limit his minutes but not playing him at all is problematic.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:58 pm

Philly has made a significant upgrade. Harris is averaging 20.9 PPG and 7.9 rebounds. He is shooting 43% from deep and 87% from the line. He will not average those numbers with Philly but he gives them a much needed shooter from deep and another very good rebounder.

From a talent perspective, Philly is as good as any team in the East. This trade makes it so. Loosing Wilson, Muscala and Shamet is of no consequence.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:31 pm

dboss wrote:I agree with Kleen.

Do you remember when the NBA bitched with POP for sitting healthy starters down for one game?

NOLA cannot sit a healthy Davis for the remainder of the season.  Maybe they can limit his minutes but not playing him at all is problematic.

I think they can and it may be the best move if they can;t get a deal done. ( I still think the Clippers have a shot at AD now).

look, if he plays and tears up a knee, NOP just vomited on themselves. SO you sit him to preserve his trade value this summer. Not playing AD also means you will have a better lotto pick come draft time this coming year.

it's all about the NOP doing what is best for them, not the best for AD, not the best for the NBA and to me that means sitting him.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:10 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski

Verified account

@wojespn
17h17 hours ago
More
The Sixers are budgeting to re-sign and keep a new Big 4, including free agents Tobias Harris and Jimmy Butler this summer, league sources tell ESPN. Philadelphia has long-term plans for Harris, Butler, Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons together.

631 replies 5,617 retweets 23,657 likes
Reply 631 Retweet 5.6K Like 24K

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:27 pm

kdp59 wrote:
dboss wrote:I agree with Kleen.

NOLA cannot sit a healthy Davis for the remainder of the season.  Maybe they can limit his minutes but not playing him at all is problematic.

I think they can and it may be the best move if they can;t get a deal done. ( I still think the Clippers have a shot at AD now).

look, if he plays and tears up a knee, NOP just vomited on themselves. SO you sit him to preserve his trade value this summer. Not playing AD also means you will have a better lotto pick come draft time this coming year.

it's all about the NOP doing what is best for them, not the best for AD, not the best for the NBA  and to me that means sitting him.

I just read where they will sit him until the trade deadline passes.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:10 pm

kdp59 wrote:

it's all about the NOP doing what is best for them, not the best for AD, not the best for the NBA  and to me that means sitting him.

They absolutely cannot do this - was just made a rule last year.

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/09/28/nba-board-governors-approves-changes-draft-lottery-system

NBA Board of Governors agreed on a policy for resting healthy players.  The policy, effective with the 2017-18 season, is below:

*Teams are prohibited from resting healthy players for any high-profile, nationally televised game.  Any violation of this provision will constitute conduct prejudicial or detrimental to the NBA and result in a fine of at least $100,000 per game

*Absent unusual circumstances, a team should not rest multiple healthy players for the same game or rest healthy players when playing on the road.
*In situations when teams decide to rest healthy players, the players should be visible and available to interact with fans.
*Any team that violates this policy, or otherwise rests a healthy player in circumstances that are prejudicial or detrimental to the league, is subject to discipline by the NBA.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next