Danny Ainge: Brad Stevens least to blame "by far" for Celtics' struggles

2 posters

Go down

Danny Ainge: Brad Stevens least to blame "by far" for Celtics' struggles Empty Danny Ainge: Brad Stevens least to blame "by far" for Celtics' struggles

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:11 pm

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/danny-ainge-brad-stevens-least-blame-far-celtics-struggles?cid=Yahoo&partner=ya4nbcs

Danny Ainge: Brad Stevens least to blame "by far" for Celtics' struggles

By Darren Hartwell February 28, 2019 10:10 AM

Danny Ainge has no problem assigning blame for the Boston Celtics' many issues.

But he's drawing the line at his head coach.

The Celtics president of basketball operations said Thursday in his weekly interview with 98.5 The Sports Hub's "Toucher & Rich" that "everybody has some fault" in the Celtics' failure to live up to lofty preseason expectations.

Ainge also offered a passionate defense of Brad Stevens, who he believes deserves the smallest slice of the blame pie.

"There's blame to share for everybody, but I will say this: He's the least, by far, of anybody that there is to blame," Ainge said of Stevens.

"Because I know that Brad is going to be prepared, and I know that Brad is putting in the work to do whatever he can to try to help this team and fix this team. So, that is the very bottom of the rung."

Stevens directed the blame his way after Saturday's loss to the Chicago Bulls, telling reporters he was "disappointed in (himself)" and that he has to do "a lot better."

Those comments weren't lost on Ainge, who clearly admires Stevens' effort and willingness to hold himself accountable amid a rocky season.

"I know that he takes more responsibility than anybody, in my opinion, as to the success and lack of success," Ainge added. "He takes ownership in the things he needs to do better.

"Anyway, he's the least of all the problems that we have on our team right now."

The Celtics certainly have their problems: Wednesday's loss to the Portland Trail Blazers was their fourth consecutive loss and their sixth in the last eight games, dropping them to 10.5 games out of first place in the Eastern Conference.

If there's any internal finger-pointing, though, it's not headed the coach's way.

bob
MY NOTE:  There are those who disagree with Danny but, regardless, that's how he sees it and the players should take note.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Danny Ainge: Brad Stevens least to blame "by far" for Celtics' struggles Empty Re: Danny Ainge: Brad Stevens least to blame "by far" for Celtics' struggles

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:26 pm

Better than having a coach that points fingers and refuses to take any blame for what is going on. In the interview I heard on the radio this afternoon Ainge was asked what he was talking about with Kyrie before the press was let into the locker room after the Toronto game.
He said he had talked to Jaylen, Al, Marcus Smart, then Kyrie. All basketball talk he said, nothing else. He admitted that the team was “down” and the only thing that will solve that is playing up to their capabilities. He again defended Stevens, and took some of the blame himself. He did mention that maybe a change in the starting lineup and rotation might be coming.

He was asked if he was going to filll the 15th spot. He did say he is always looking, but players out there right now are looking for good playing time and that is not something they can promise. But they will continue to look.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down