How does the birthday boy, Jayson Tatum, stack up against fellow 21-year-old NBA talent?

+6
mrkleen09
swish
dboss
tardust
NYCelt
10 posters

Go down

How does the birthday boy, Jayson Tatum, stack up against fellow 21-year-old NBA talent? Empty How does the birthday boy, Jayson Tatum, stack up against fellow 21-year-old NBA talent?

Post by 112288 Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:42 pm

How does the birthday boy, Jayson Tatum, stack up against fellow 21-year-old NBA talent?

NBC SPORTS BOSTON By A. Sherrod Blakely March 03, 2019 1:49 PM

BOSTON -- Jayson Tatum celebrates his 21st birthday today, doing what he loves to do above all else - playing basketball.

Tatum has shown a maturity on the floor that you seldom see with a young player on a team with the kind of talent that the Celtics have from top to bottom on their roster.

And while his role isn’t nearly as open-ended on the Celtics as some other young NBA players, there’s little question that Tatum has shown the ability to be a high-impact player in this league.

But how does he stack up against other 21-year-old NBA players?

Pretty. Darn. Good.

Here’s a look at how Tatum ranks in comparison to his fellow 21-year-old NBA players this season, despite them playing for teams that have enjoyed significantly less success than Tatum has with Boston.

SCORING

Lauri Markkanen, Chicago 19.7

John Collins, Atlanta 19.5

Brandon Ingram, LALakers 18.3

De’Aaron Fox, Sacramento 17.2

Jayson Tatum, Boston 16.3

REBOUNDS

John Collins, Atlanta 9.5

Lauri Markkanen, Chicago 9.3

Bam Adebayo, Miami 6.7

Jayson Tatum, Boston 6.3

FIELD GOAL PERCENTAGE

Brandon Ingram, LALakers .497

De’Aaron Fox, Sacramento .458

Jayson Tatum, Boston .456

THREE-POINT ATTEMPTS

Lauri Markkanen, Chicago 6.6

Lonzo Ball, LALakers 4.9

Landry Shamet, LAClippers 4.7

Malik Monk, Charlotte 4.2

Jayson Tatum, Boston 4.1

THREE POINT PERCENTAGE

Lauri Markkanen, Chicago .379

Jayson Tatum, Boston .371

STEALS

De’Aaron Fox, Sacramento 1.7

Lonzo Ball, LALakers 1.5

Dennis Smith Jr., NYKnicks 1.3

Jayson Tatum, Boston 1.1

MINUTES

Brandon Ingram, LALakers 33.9

Lauri Markkanen, Chicago 33.3

De’Aaron Fox, Sacramento 31.6

Jayson Tatum, Boston 30.8

Back to top Go down

How does the birthday boy, Jayson Tatum, stack up against fellow 21-year-old NBA talent? Empty Re: How does the birthday boy, Jayson Tatum, stack up against fellow 21-year-old NBA talent?

Post by 112288 Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:45 pm

DANNY

IF YOU TRADE HIM YOUR NUTS!

Back to top Go down

How does the birthday boy, Jayson Tatum, stack up against fellow 21-year-old NBA talent? Empty Re: How does the birthday boy, Jayson Tatum, stack up against fellow 21-year-old NBA talent?

Post by NYCelt Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:32 am

112288 wrote:DANNY

No argument.

I know that no player is untradeable. Despite that I still think Tatum and Smart are the two must keep Celtics right now.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:28 pm

112288 wrote:DANNY

You would never know Tatum was a keeper if you read the game on threads. He pretty much sucks.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:50 pm

I like Jason Tatum a bunch and have enjoyed watching him develop.

Having said that why is he being treated like the Golden Child?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:58 pm

dboss wrote:I like Jason Tatum a bunch and have enjoyed watching him develop.

Hometown fandom often times goes a little overboard when evaluating a hometown favorite

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:19 pm

The only player on the list that is playing in meaningful games for a team in contention every night = a big difference.

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:24 pm

dboss wrote:I like Jason Tatum a bunch and have enjoyed watching him develop.

Let’s see, he played at Duke and then goes to us, 2 most storied teams/franchises in college and pros. He was best player at Duke and gets off to a great start his rookie year, shooting over 45% from 3 his first couple of months, many marking his game as advanced for his age similar to what Doncic has been doing this year....and we were the top team in the East miraculously despite the injury to GH, he was our man child spark and the team so overachieved he was getting all the glory for carrying us and being a key stud in the making that could carry us for years!!!

Then this season started and slowly fell apart....to be continued.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:19 am

John Collins is a good young big man.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:17 am

By Golden Child I meant he can do no wrong yet he has his share of bad shots, bad passes and missed assignments just like everybody else.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:24 am

mrkleen09 wrote:The only player on the list that is playing in meaningful games for a team in contention every night = a big difference.

There's another major factor right there.

Raw statistics are useless without framing and context. Thanks to MrKleen for adding some.

No question as to Tatum's value. Among 21-year old players, or anyone else.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:16 pm

112288 wrote:How does the birthday boy, Jayson Tatum, stack up against fellow 21-year-old NBA talent?

NBC SPORTS BOSTON By A. Sherrod Blakely March 03, 2019 1:49 PM

BOSTON -- Jayson Tatum celebrates his 21st birthday today, doing what he loves to do above all else - playing basketball.

Tatum has shown a maturity on the floor that you seldom see with a young player on a team with the kind of talent that the Celtics have from top to bottom on their roster.

And while his role isn’t nearly as open-ended on the Celtics as some other young NBA players, there’s little question that Tatum has shown the ability to be a high-impact player in this league.

But how does he stack up against other 21-year-old NBA players?

Pretty. Darn. Good.

Here’s a look at how Tatum ranks in comparison to his fellow 21-year-old NBA players this season, despite them playing for teams that have enjoyed significantly less success than Tatum has with Boston.

SCORING

Lauri Markkanen, Chicago     19.7

John Collins, Atlanta        19.5

Brandon Ingram, LALakers    18.3

De’Aaron Fox, Sacramento    17.2

Jayson Tatum, Boston    16.3

REBOUNDS

John Collins, Atlanta        9.5

Lauri Markkanen, Chicago    9.3

Bam Adebayo, Miami        6.7

Jayson Tatum, Boston     6.3

FIELD GOAL PERCENTAGE

Brandon Ingram, LALakers    .497

De’Aaron Fox, Sacramento    .458

Jayson Tatum, Boston     .456

THREE-POINT ATTEMPTS

Lauri Markkanen, Chicago    6.6

Lonzo Ball, LALakers        4.9

Landry Shamet, LAClippers    4.7

Malik Monk, Charlotte        4.2

Jayson Tatum, Boston     4.1

THREE POINT PERCENTAGE

Lauri Markkanen, Chicago     .379

Jayson Tatum, Boston     .371

STEALS

De’Aaron Fox, Sacramento    1.7

Lonzo Ball, LALakers        1.5

Dennis Smith Jr., NYKnicks    1.3

Jayson Tatum, Boston     1.1    

MINUTES

Brandon Ingram, LALakers    33.9

Lauri Markkanen, Chicago    33.3

De’Aaron Fox, Sacramento    31.6

Jayson Tatum, Boston     30.8

Ok, since I've been the most outspoken critic of Jayson Tatum on this board, I suppose I need to respond to this.

Here's some of the things this article doesn't address:

1.  The amount of time that comes off the shot clock because Tatum is going one-on-one and trying to set his man up for his move, ala Kobe.  The ball sticks to his hands too much, in my opinion.  Is there a stat for "teammates standing around watching you with the ball"?  If there is I would expect to see Kyrie and Jayson on that list.  The difference between them is that Kyrie will pass off of penetrations...

2.  His unwillingness to give up the ball, especially in the full court.  Is there a stat for that?  He runs full court extremely well without the ball, but only when he hasn't already had the ball in his hands first.  Once he does touch it he's a black hole.

He's a starter on a winning team, and that says things.  One of the things it says is that his teammates are better.  Basketball is a team sport and winning is a team effort.  We've all seen what we look like when we don't play together as a team, despite having the same individual players, and how good we look when we do.  The position most of those other players (e.g. John Collins and Lauri Markannen) are in is that it's all about them.  When a team is counting on a newly minted 21 year old to carry the team you are looking at the Atlanta Hawks and the Chicago Bulls.

Also, how many players are we talking about?  If we're only talking about 5 or 6 being #5 isn't so hot.  Furthermore, there are some categories you expect a big to be better at than a guard like Fox.  Like Rebounding.  The only big Tatum isn't beating on rebounds is 190# toothpick Brandon Ingram.  

Here's another category that Tatum doesn't overachieve in, draft pick position.  Isn't it reasonable to have higher expectations for a #3 pick than a #7 or #14?

Brandon Ingram - #2
Lonzo Ball - #2
Jayson Tatum - #3 (would have been #1 if Philly didn't fall for Danny's Jedi Mind Tricks)
De'Aaron Fox - #5
Lauri Markannen - #7
John Collins - #14
Bam Adubayo - #14

But here's something that Tatum does well that Blakely did NOT give him credit for, blocks/game.

Jayson Tatum - .8
Bam Adubayo - .8
Lauri Markannen - .6
Brandon Ingram - .6
Jason Collins - .4

Considering Bam is 6'10" with a 7'1" wingspan it's pretty impressive Tatum is tied with him.

Look, I'm not saying Tatum is trash, he's pretty good, but as dboss said he's The Golden Child and one cannot critique him.  He could be a perennial All-Star, but not at this rate.  A solid starter, sure, but isn't anything less than that a disappointment for a #3 pick, especially if there really isn't any player that is playing well enough for us to challenge him for that spot?  Not Hayward, that's for sure.  Who else could take Tatum's spot?  Jaylen Brown, at SF?  Maybe, but other than him, who?  To some extent Jayson Tatum has his starting job by default.

I'm rooting for us to win #18 this year, of course!, but a quick exit might serve the purpose of shrinking Rozier and Tatum's heads and there is value in that too.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:50 am

dboss wrote:By Golden Child I meant he can do no wrong yet he has his share of bad shots, bad passes and missed assignments just like everybody else.

Hey Dboss,  I am not sure if your talking about posters like me or reporters or what.  Believe me  I know he has a lot of room for improvements.  He does take some bad shots as does everyone on the team. Kyrie for instance against Golden State.  We are up like 10 to zip and he dribbles down and take nearly a half court three pointer for no apparent reason.  Now that is a bad shot.  Jason is not real good on running a fast break passing the ball. He probably has never been in that position much so he will need experience in this area to improve so there will be mistakes. He is more comfortable trying to finish himself which he has gotten better at this year.    Yes he misses assignments as well. I also see everyone miss them.  I give credit to any player that makes a good play and I am happy for them.  

Like I said I am not sure if your talking about game on threads or not.  Other than Cow and myself, and Ktronic   you rarely hear anything positive on him,  you mainly only read something negative when he makes a mistake.  Jayson had one turnover in Golden State and it was " WTF Jayson?"   He took two what might be considered bad shots.  One was called hero ball where he stepped back on one foot. The exact same shot he used at the end of the game against Sacramento the next night that gave us a cushion for the win. He also hit 4 pressure free throws at the end.  After Sac finally caught us at 88,  he comes down and puts us right back on top with a three pointer.

Now look at the last two game thread against Golden State and Sac and you will see what I mean.
Look at ten games and you will see one poster that criticizes everygame and never gives him props unless its a backhanded compliment.  Right there to read if you care to.

We all have our favorite players and I am sure we all want the Celtics to win.  I just like to give props to players when they earn it and criticize when earned.  I have decided to not go back and forth on the game on thread about what someone else says.  I am just going to give my opinion on Jayson and others.

Here is to hoping that we got our act together and go on a tear.  I have been critical of our best player when I think he needs it,  but I want him to be a part of our team.  His game against GS was one of his better games other than his Curry type half court shot with 20 seconds on the clock.  He has the talent to help us win a championship if he makes his team better and picks his time to dominate the ball and trusts the players from a team that got to the conf. finals last year..  As evidence from last night we play well without him and most of the time Jayson is the player that steps up when he gets more touches.   I think he should get more touches ,  what do you think?

Hope I have not offended anyone as I have been up a long time while getting my 4th grand daughter, so a little tired.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:19 pm

Which of those guys would you trade him for, straight up?
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down