Celtics' Al Horford: 'I would like to play until I'm 40'

+4
hawksnestbeach
worcester
NYCelt
bobheckler
8 posters

Go down

Celtics' Al Horford: 'I would like to play until I'm 40' Empty Celtics' Al Horford: 'I would like to play until I'm 40'

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:53 pm

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/celtics-al-horford-i-would-play-until-im-40?cid=Yahoo&partner=ya4nbcs

Celtics' Al Horford: 'I would like to play until I'm 40'

By Justin Leger March 11, 2019 8:42 PM

Al Horford is the Celtics' eldest player, but the big man sees plenty more NBA seasons in his future.

Horford's goal is to play until the age of 40, per Boston Sports Journal. He'll turn 33 in June.

“For me, as long as I'm healthy and feel good, I would like to play until I'm 40,” Horford said. “Why not? As long as I'm healthy and feel good. I don't want to be out there struggling or hurt or things like that. I really take the time to work on my body and I enjoy the game, so I wouldn't see why I wouldn't keep playing on it. I'm not going to put a limit on it. I'm just going to keep playing as long as I feel good.”

“Even though they try to make me be like I'm 40 already, I feel pretty good,” Horford continued. “I definitely know that I have a lot of years left in me so I'm happy about that.”

There's no reason to believe that Horford won't be able to accomplish the feat. The four-time All-Star been extremely consistent over the course of his 12-year career and has evolved into a legitimate threat from 3-point range, which is becoming increasingly valuable in today's NBA.

Horford, who joined the Celtics prior to the 2016-17 campaign, has a player option worth $30 million after this season.

bob
MY NOTE: I hope Al can play until he's 40, I enjoy his game. Whether he'll be in green then will boil down to money. If he's expecting another big payday when he turns 34 or 35 then he won't be. $10-15M/year would be ok. He's a high quality starter, transitioning to a high quality back up center. That kind of money can be justified.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics' Al Horford: 'I would like to play until I'm 40' Empty Re: Celtics' Al Horford: 'I would like to play until I'm 40'

Post by NYCelt Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:01 pm

Him and Brady.

Geezer ball is alive and well in Boston.

As long as you've still got it, why not?

...and yes, I did just refer to 2 guys who are a lot younger than me as geezers.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Celtics' Al Horford: 'I would like to play until I'm 40' Empty Re: Celtics' Al Horford: 'I would like to play until I'm 40'

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:07 pm

NYCelt wrote:Him and Brady.

Geezer ball is alive and well in Boston.

As long as you've still got it, why not?

...and yes, I did just refer to 2 guys who are a lot younger than me as geezers.

NYCelt,

Geezers = ok
Wheezers = not ok

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:47 pm

Who is Al, Tom Brady the Second?
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:56 pm

I have noticed that he's pacing himself. Some days, he looks 28, other days, 38. If he plays alongside a real center, he might make it to 40. Í think we'll see 28-year-old this year in the playoffs. Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:41 pm

Well he’s 2 years younger than Lebron with a lot less mileage. Lebron was good as ever at 32 and 33. If we can continue to limit his minutes so he’s fresh for the big games, he should be fine.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:56 pm

Tell Al I'd like to win the lottery, too. Odds really aren't that good! But I like the attitude!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:08 pm

Al, Dbrown4 would like to win the lottery.
W
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:13 am

Very Funny!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:59 pm

Can big Al get through a grueling post-season?

Maybe the reduced minutes he is playing will help.

He remains the only question mark I have about this team.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:45 pm

I can see Horford possibly playing for another seven seasons as he does not have a weight problem, has had no leg or back injuries, has skills that will allow him to be an effective player even with fewer minutes as he ages.

Horford is a pretty complete player in that he can shoot, can run pretty well, can pass, plays for the team and not himself as examples. He has been proven to be a very solid leader and supporter of his coaches and teammates in his time in Boston (and, perhaps in Atlanta as well). He even plays OK defense and rebounds, but not so much against the really bigger centers in the league.

In his later 30s he will have to be even more limited in his minutes, but if he does not sustain a major injury he should maintain a level of effectiveness in the NBA. I would not mind seeing him end his career in a Cs uniform in another seven or eight years.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down