Celtics Notes: Brad Stevens Offers Injury Updates On Gordon Hayward, Al Horford

+2
NYCelt
6 posters

Go down

Celtics Notes: Brad Stevens Offers Injury Updates On Gordon Hayward, Al Horford Empty Celtics Notes: Brad Stevens Offers Injury Updates On Gordon Hayward, Al Horford

Post by 112288 Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:09 pm

Celtics Notes: Brad Stevens Offers Injury Updates On Gordon Hayward, Al Horford

NESN by Dakota Randall on Sat, Mar 16, 2019 at 3:36PM

Gordon Hayward just can’t catch a break.

The Boston Celtics forward left Saturday’s game against the Atlanta Hawks after an ugly collision with Hawks forward John Collins. Hayward was diagnosed with a strained neck, and did not return to Boston’s eventual 129-120 victory.

After the game, Celtics head coach Brad Stevens revealed that a “woozy” Hayward left after halftime. There was no further update.

Hayward has experienced something of a resurgence over the last two weeks, so this injury couldn’t have come at a worse time. Of course, the hope for Boston is the veteran forward is just fine and has no lingering affects heading into the playoffs.

Additionally, Stevens revealed that Al Horford, who has battled a sore knee for much of the season, will be limited over the final 13 games.

With the Celtics still stuck in fifth place in the Eastern Conference, they can ill-afford to not be at full strength down the stretch.

Still, it’s more important that Boston has its full compliment of stars ready to go for the postseason, so it makes sense if the team is extra cautious over the next few weeks.

Here are some other notes from Celtics-Hawks:

— The Celtics blew a 25-point second-half lead to Atlanta, but managed to escape with a victory.

“We let go of our intensity from the end of the third through the middle of the fourth,” Stevens said, as seen on NBC Sports Boston’s postgame coverage. “They got back in it — can’t do it.”

— Kyrie Irving has picked a great time to play his best basketball of the season.

— Speaking of playing their best basketball of the season.

— Irving had a career-high 11 rebounds against Atlanta. His previous career high was 10 rebounds, a feat he accomplished five times.

Back to top Go down

Celtics Notes: Brad Stevens Offers Injury Updates On Gordon Hayward, Al Horford Empty Re: Celtics Notes: Brad Stevens Offers Injury Updates On Gordon Hayward, Al Horford

Post by NYCelt Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:43 am

I would rest these two as much as possible the next couple of weeks. They'll be needed for the playoffs.

Although still mathematically possible to change, Boston will most likely finish 5th. The two games with the Pacers could change that, but I wouldn't risk the health of Horford or Hayward for home court. There are worse things than a first round matchup with Indiana and their home court ad. I think Boston can take Indiana in a series either way.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Celtics Notes: Brad Stevens Offers Injury Updates On Gordon Hayward, Al Horford Empty Re: Celtics Notes: Brad Stevens Offers Injury Updates On Gordon Hayward, Al Horford

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:30 pm

NYCelt wrote:I would rest these two as much 11as possible the next couple of weeks. They'll be needed for the playoffs.

Although still mathematically possible to change, Boston will most likely finish 5th. The two games with the Pacers could change that, but I wouldn't risk the health of Horford or Hayward for home court. There are worse things than a first round matchup with Indiana and their home court ad. I think Boston can take Indiana in a series either way.

Agree 100% +1

Then in second round I’d much rather play the Bucks, let Toronto and Philly kill each other. We match up well with Bucks and 76ers, actually Toronto doesn’t scare me that much either.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:31 pm

We need Hayward healthy for playoffs, when he goes off, team goes off....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:08 pm

What's with all this resting of players.............we were suppose to be a young and upcoming team.............WHERE IS THE YOUTH?

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:13 pm

112288 wrote:What's with all this resting of players.............we were suppose to be a young and upcoming team.............WHERE IS THE YOUTH?

Uninjured and not resting.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:27 pm

John Karalis @RedsArmy_John
about 11 minutes ago
Celtics announce Gordon Hayward is now in the NBA Concussion Protocol and it doubtful vs. Denver. Al Horford is probable with a sore level knee. Robert Williams is sick and listed as questionable

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:39 pm

This team just cannot get a break. Everytime we approach being at full strength somebody gets hurt.

Hayward could be out for a week to 10 days.

At a time when Al is already lobbying for an extension he has to be managed.Our weak link is right there in the middle.

Aron is going to get a chance to play and Theis should see more minutes when Al is 'resting'

He damn sure ain't playing to 40. he can't even play at 32. 8 more years and he will need a walker.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:05 pm

dboss wrote:This team just cannot get a break.  Everytime we approach being at full strength somebody gets hurt.

Hayward could be out for a week to 10 days.

At a time when Al is already lobbying for an extension he has to be managed.Our weak link is right there in the middle.

Aron is going to get a chance to play and Theis should see more minutes when Al is 'resting'

He damn sure ain't playing to 40.  he can't even play at 32.  8 more years and he will need a  walker.

Yeah, I like Horford and think he was a good signing. A bona fide center is still needed, even if he's healthy.

Injuries are starting to pile up, however. Another season, maybe two tops, and he's done.

I'm not a real doctor, and don't play one on TV. You don't have to be either to diagnose this case.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:15 am

NY Celt

A while back I posted some factual information about AH as a playoff performer.  It showed declining productivity as the number of playoff games grow.

I saw this as a stamina issue.  AH is an undersized center so in order to compete he has to play with a high level of intensity.  We have seen him do that.  That high level of intensity is not something I would expect to see from him if we go to 3-4 rounds of playoff action.

This year he had issues with Tendinitis of the knee.  He missed some games and came back strong.  Now he has a sore knee unrelated to the tendinitis but it does not sound serious.

His MPG are down and Brad  now has to get him some games off to get him ready for the playoffs.

Brad has little choice but to rest him but that is hardly an ideal situation.  Playoff positioning matters.  This team needs a home court advantage to jump start their playoff run.  I thought we could get to #3 at least which is still possible but with only 12 games left including 7 on the road we may not make it to #3.  Likely a 4th place finish due in large part to a Pacers team that has a very difficult remaining schedule.

I continue to be concerned about Al as I feel he is the one player that must play very well for us to win.  I still do not see Boston winning a championship this year because I think that he is going to disappoint in the playoffs like he always does.  It is not like he has gotten better.  He has gotten older and has less energy.

Somebody else has to step up at the 5 for this team to move forward.  I'm hoping that somebody is Aron Baynes.  That may not be enough since Baynes is not likely to play big but he could really help us win.

I do not want to be overly pessimistic but just do not have much faith in AH.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:34 pm

dboss wrote:
His MPG are down and Brad  now has to get him some games off to get him ready for the playoffs.

Brad has little choice but to rest him but that is hardly an ideal situation.  

This is exactly the opposite of your post in the Horford needs a few days off thread

dboss wrote:  He makes $30 million per year.  He can rest in the off season.  

Question
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:18 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:
dboss wrote:

Brad has little choice but to rest him but that is hardly an ideal situation.  

This is exactly the opposite of your post in the Horford needs a few days off thread

dboss wrote:  He makes $30 million per year.  He can rest in the off season.  

Question

If this is the exact opposite of what i said in the other post then that means you must agree with me since you disagree with everything I said in the other post.

They are different posts but there is the same theme running through them but let me clarify what I intended to convey.

I am not pleased with him having to rest up because the Celtics are still fighting for playoff positioning.  I understand that Brad believes he needs to do that.  However I really do not think missing 3-4 games will have a big impact one way or the other during the playoffs.

I believe that AH needs to play at a high level (meaning close to a double double during the playoff)  I believe he is going have too many 4 or 5 rebound per game stats.  That is his profile over the past 4 or 5 years and the trend is downward.

I believe Aron Baynes could be a difference maker because of his size (girth) and physical toughness.  To me AH is soft in the paint and I hoping Baynes plays well and can give us what AH cannot.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:22 pm

What you said in the other thread is plain as day.

dboss wrote: He makes $30 million per year.  He can rest in the off season.  

That pesky quote feature coming back to haunt you again buddy.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down