Edwards and Boston's System are Match Made in Heaven

2 posters

Go down

Edwards and Boston's System are Match Made in Heaven Empty Edwards and Boston's System are Match Made in Heaven

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:58 am

https://on.nba.com/2LH36bP

Edwards and Boston's System are Match Made in Heaven Carsen

Edwards and Boston's System are Match Made in Heaven

By Marc D'Amico |  @Marc_DAmico
Celtics.com
July 9, 2019

LAS VEGAS – Carsen Edwards continues to fill it up in Las Vegas.

Not even a role change could slow him down Tuesday night, as he came off the bench for the first time in Las Vegas and poured in a game-high 23 points to lead the Summer Celtics to a 95-82 win over the Denver Nuggets.

Edwards has now scored 20 or more points during two of Boston’s three Summer League games. He leads the team with a scoring average of 19.0 points per game and he ranks among the top scorers in the entire league. Still, he’s remaining humble while performing at such a high level.

“I just say with such good players like this, when you move the ball well, this puts you in good positions,” Edwards said after the game. “I just stay ready to try to knock down shots. But for the most part, I feel like I’m getting good looks.”

Those looks are being produced by a system that is aligning perfectly with Edwards’ skill set. The Celtics offense relies heavily upon a guard’s ability to move off the ball, and Edwards is doing so at a high level, as head coach Scott Morrison said Tuesday night.

“Just how he can fly around a little bit offensively,” Morrison said of why Edwards fits the system well. “To be able to come off screens, catch-and-shoot really quick, get into the body of the big around the paint and finish. He really uses his body well, given that he’s shorter.”

Edwards is relishing the opportunity to fly around off the ball. He said that the system, combined with the added room to operate on an NBA court, puts him in position to be successful.

“Obviously everybody’s offense is to get you an advantage, but I feel like the quick-hitters we have, the ones we put in, they put us in a good advantage going downhill,” he said. “And also it’s just space. It’s just different from college to the league. It’s just space. So like going downhill, coming off ball screens and things like that, there’s so much space.”

How could Edwards not be loving every second of playing in this league, in this system? It’s producing quality look after quality look for him, both on the perimeter and around the basket.

Edwards is now shooting a 53.9 percent from the field and 48.0 percent from long distance through three games. Those are blistering percentages that surely have the Celtics enamored by the thought of what Edwards could turn into down the line.

For now, though, it’s time to just sit back and enjoy the show. The combination of Edwards and Boston’s offense has been a match made in heaven. He has lit up every opponent who has stood in his way thus far in Vegas.

bob
MY NOTE:  I haven't watched any Summer League play because I have been traveling.  How's his defense?  Gerald Green was/is a scoring machine too but struggled to get minutes in Brad's system.  Only when he went to Mike (no-)D'Antoni's system did he get any.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Edwards and Boston's System are Match Made in Heaven Empty Re: Edwards and Boston's System are Match Made in Heaven

Post by Berlin-T Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:53 am

His defense is damn good. He's low to the ground like Smart and puts his body (burly and sturdy) into the guy he's defending. And he moves very well. Nothing to worry about there. Coach Morrison says Edwards is such a pest on defense that he disrupts the opposing offensive in practice.

Berlin-T
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down