Ainge says Robert Williams will become a contributor in 2019-20

5 posters

Go down

Ainge says Robert Williams will become a contributor in 2019-20 Empty Ainge says Robert Williams will become a contributor in 2019-20

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:40 am

https://clutchpoints.com/celtics-news-danny-ainge-says-robert-williams-will-become-contributor-in-2019-20/

Celtics GM Danny Ainge says Robert Williams will become a contributor in 2019-20

by Ralph Orense

July 20, 2019

Boston Celtics forward Robert Williams had an underwhelming rookie season. He put up measly averages of 2.5 points and 2.5 rebounds in 8.8 minutes, while appearing in 32 games for the team last season. However, with Al Horford leaving the team in free agency, Williams is expected to have an increased role, according to general manager Danny Ainge.

Boston.com Celtics News
✔
@BDCCeltics
Danny Ainge: "I thought Robert Williams played really well in summer league. I think he'll be able to contribute this year."

11:24 AM - Jul 17, 2019

Williams has already shown flashes of being a good rebounder last season, but what he displayed in Summer League was the ability to score, defend and facilitate. Of course, it is unlikely that he will be able to do all those next seasons, especially given the fact that Enes Kanter is on the team, but if the 21-year-old continues to improve, he may be able to make the team’s main roster.

Aside from Kanter, the Celtics do not have an established backup center. Vincent Poirier and Daniel Theis are pretty much like Williams — big men with potential but still a work in progress. These three will battle it out to determine who will become the primary frontcourt option off the bench, and it will be interesting to see if Williams can outperform his older teammates.

The Celtics have a collection of talented young players who’ve already shown what they’re capable of. Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown and Marcus Smart are expected to play major roles next season. These three are expected to be Boston’s cornerstones for a long time, and who knows? Williams could join this group depending on how well he’ll play next season.

One of the Celtics’ top executives believes in him, so that’s a start.

bob
MY NOTE:  No breaking news here.  I suppose, if you read Danny's tea leaves, saying "he'll be able to contribute this year" is a temperature upgrade from "he'll have the opportunity to contribute this season".  Saying he's capable suggests the job/minutes are there for him, either in Boston or elsewhere.  An "opportunity" makes it sound like he's fighting for minutes because he's not ready, like what he's saying about Tacko.  We went from having 1 legit center last year (Baynes) and 2 PFs who sometimes played center (Horford and Theis) and a rook (Williams) to a roster with a veteran legit NBA starting center (Kanter), a PF who may not have to play much center this year (Theis), an NBA rookie but veteran legit 7' center (Poirier), an improved Williams and, possibly, the tallest man in the world.  I'm not going to diminish the loss of veteran and 5X All-Star Al Horford but none of our bigs last year were dependable rebounders.  This year I think we're loaded with them and that will, in my opinion, significantly change Brad's playbook.  No more will he be telling his bigs to box out and let the wings go to the ball, he'll be telling his bigs to get the ball and tell his wings to release up court.  More of a traditional running game.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Ainge says Robert Williams will become a contributor in 2019-20 Empty Re: Ainge says Robert Williams will become a contributor in 2019-20

Post by bobheckler Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:52 pm

Jay King @ByJayKing
about 2 hours ago
Brad Stevens said Robert Williams has put in “as good a summer as anybody” for the Celtics.

reply retweet like

A. Sherrod Blakely @ASherrodblakely
1 hour ago
More on @Robert Williams really good summer. "(Celtics asst coach) Kara Lawson said something to me in Vegas that really stuck with me. She said I wish everybody communicated like Rob (Williams) does. Last year this time you wouldn’t have said that." - #Celtics Brad Stevens

reply retweet like

bob
MY NOTE:  Want to play more minutes?  Make sure the coaching staff sees you working your butt off in the off-season.  The Time Lord wants more time on the court.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Ainge says Robert Williams will become a contributor in 2019-20 Empty Re: Ainge says Robert Williams will become a contributor in 2019-20

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:58 pm

Good signs that he’s getting it, he ain’t no Sully....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:32 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Good signs that he’s getting it, he ain’t no Sully....

Nor is he Glen "Big Baby" Davis.

Big Baby and Sully took their initial skills for granted and forgot to work on their craft (and bodies) each off-season. They both left us wanting. Potential unfulfilled.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:17 pm

RW and VP have similar skill sets.  I think VP will be behind due to the limited amount of time that he will have after the FIBA Games are over.  It takes time to become familar with Brad's system.  After watching him play, I think he definitely can help make our frontline better.  VP looks to be a more physical player than RW.  RW looks quicker and  will lead the team in blocks.

Last year RW missed playing in the summer league as he was not physically able to play.  This year he played and has been working hard to get ready for the season.  It may take a while before Poirier is integrated into the rotation.

Theis played 5 in the small ball lineups but did not get paired in the big lineups.  Will he play some 4 this year?

Having 3 legit centers is a change for Boston.  Knowing Brad he will find a way to use all of them.  All of them bring something to the table.

This team will look very different this year at both ends.  I cannot wait for the season to start.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:49 pm

R Williams game on the defensive end could be a big positive this year. He showed flashes last season, now he needs to step it up when given the minutes. As of now, he's the one true center on the roster who has at least shown he has some ability to defend the low post well in the NBA. I still think that if he simply plays to his demonstrated ability, R Williams has every chance of getting starting center minutes by season's end.

Offense, balanced offense, Boston should have. Plenty of wings and guards to supply long-range shooting and driving/finishing ability at the rim. Defense; that's the difference maker needed from the center.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:57 pm

I'm loving that he's a vocal player on the floor. The player defending the baseline has to be that because it's all right there in front of him and it isn't for almost all the rest of the team. He has to let them know what he's seeing and if Williams is loud then that is a big plus.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:02 pm

bobheckler wrote:I'm loving that he's a vocal player on the floor.  The player defending the baseline has to be that because it's all right there in front of him and it isn't for almost all the rest of the team.  He has to let them know what he's seeing and if Williams is loud then that is a big plus.

bob

Yes. Centers, Safeties, and Catchers. Air out those lungs.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:13 pm

When the Celtics drafted Robert Williams, the player that he reminded me of most of all was Clint Capela.  Draft Profile: Clint Capela: 6'11" with shoes, 222 pounds, 7'4.5" wingspan.

It took a while for Capela to find his sealegs.  Like Williams,  he played limited minutes as a rookie. https://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/3102529/clint-capela

Capela is a great fit for Houston because he is surrounded with a bunch of shooters.

In another post, I suggested that Robert Williams is an option to start at center.  I again put forth this option.  What Boston will miss most from not having Al Horford and Aron Baynes is defense.  

I think Boston would be dynamic with a starting 5 of Walker, Brown, Tatum,  Hayward and Williams in the middle.  That gives you a great point guard and 3 interchangeable wings and a guy in the middle that can defend the paint.

With 3 rookies on the team the Celtics could use Kanter in the 2nd unit where he will not take offensive opportunities away from your top offensive players.  Smart can be the leader of that second unit.  Edwards and Langford and either Semi or rookie Grant Williams round out that lineup.  I do not think you can get away with playing 3 rookies together so I would lean towards Semi instead of G. Williams.

Theis is our small ball 5 and when the Celtics go in that direction he will get most of his minutes there.  

Reports out of the Celtics camp about Williams is not hype.  Last year many of us bemoaned the lack of playing time that he got.  This year his stock has increased in value and he has a chance to become a bluechip hold.

Where does this configuration leave Vincent Poirier?  To start the season Poirier is not likely to see a lot of playing time.  But know this, Poirier is an above average rebounder and is an aggressive player in the paint.  He will have to carve out minutes for himself.  

The guy that emerges as the best defender in the middle and can move the ball will be the top guy on this team at center.

The first clink in the armor will come when Kanter complains about not getting enough playing time.  I think he will be traded by February.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:28 pm

Interesting analysis dboss, the first team definitely needs defense and rebounding in the middle, especially without a legit 4. Kantor’s defensive deficiencies may not be so exposed playing on the 2nd unit. Against teams with a legit big playing next to a Giannis or Anthony Davis, can we rebound adequately? I still hope to see some of RW at PF next to Kantor or Poirer....you could also start out big with Kantor and RW and have Hayward adding scoring and passing as the 6th man. Alot of interesting combinations will be explored as G Will and Theis also bring different games to the 4 spot.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:32 pm

Cow 

I think if you have 5 guys, all of whom have offensive games it will dilute the ability for guys to be utilized at a high level of efficiency.

The Celtics do not need 5 scorers in their staring lineup.  If the Celtics decide not to start all 3 of our wings (maybe start Marcus) then Kanter starting makes more sense to me.  Should they bring GH off the bench in a more traditional 6th man role?  

Boston will need an experienced facilitator off the bench.  

Boston will be forced to put different guys in the lineup depending on matchups.  It will be curious to see what Brad does in game 1 against Philly and other teams that have big lineups.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:06 pm

Dboss we are in agreement....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down