Celtics’ Tacko Fall Is Cut From Senegal Roster For 2019 FIBA World Cup

+2
swish
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Celtics’ Tacko Fall Is Cut From Senegal Roster For 2019 FIBA World Cup Empty Celtics’ Tacko Fall Is Cut From Senegal Roster For 2019 FIBA World Cup

Post by bobheckler Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:56 pm

https://nesn.com/2019/08/celtics-tacko-fall-is-cut-from-senegal-roster-for-2019-fiba-world-cup/

Celtics’ Tacko Fall Is Cut From Senegal Roster For 2019 FIBA World Cup

by Marcus Kwesi O'Mard

on Wed, Aug 7, 2019 at 1:45PM

International basketball fans won’t catch Tacko Fall fever this summer.

The Boston Celtics center wasn’t among the 16 players Senegal’s basketball federation named to its national team Tuesday for the second phase of its preparations for the 2019 FIBA World Cup. Fall had been on Senegal’s preliminary 24-player roster but he didn’t make the first cut.

Senegal will visit Turkey on Monday in a World Cup warm-up game. The Lions will compete with Canada, Lithuania and Australia in Group H of the 2019 World Cup.

The World Cup will take place between Aug. 31 and Sept. 15 in China

Fall continues to work out in Senegal, and receive occasional FaceTime calls from his Celtics teammates, with the start of Celtics training camp looming over the horizon.

The 2019 World Cup will come too soon to serve as Fall’s breakout party on the global stage, as the coming months and years will determine whether he becomes an international impact player.

bob
MY NOTE:  If Tacko cannot even make the Senegalese team I wouldn't count on him being ready to make a NBA team.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics’ Tacko Fall Is Cut From Senegal Roster For 2019 FIBA World Cup Empty Re: Celtics’ Tacko Fall Is Cut From Senegal Roster For 2019 FIBA World Cup

Post by swish Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:34 pm

Perhaps it's just the time of year when hoop dreams tend to run a little bit wild.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Celtics’ Tacko Fall Is Cut From Senegal Roster For 2019 FIBA World Cup Empty Re: Celtics’ Tacko Fall Is Cut From Senegal Roster For 2019 FIBA World Cup

Post by wideclyde Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:21 pm

I still like him as the 15th man on the Cs roster this season.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by international Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:39 pm

He wasn't cut, just rejected the invitation because he was going to return to USA and to focus on training to be ready for training camp.

international

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:10 pm

international wrote:He wasn't cut, just rejected the invitation because he was going to return to USA and to focus on training to be ready for training camp.

International,

The article says he's staying in Senegal. Do you have knowledge otherwise?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:45 pm

Thank you, International. I saw a story that said he was concentrating on his Celtics future. The headline said "cut" but the story didn't back it up. I want him in green for a year. Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:35 pm

Regarding the inaccuracy of headlines, even the absence of a simple comma can have a big impact on meaning. For example, Frank Lary was a star pitcher for the Detroit Tigers in 1964. He was known as "the Yankee Killer" because he had a 27-10 record against the Bronx Bombers. I was working that summer as a copy boy for the Worcester Telegram and Gazette and was continually amused by the pranks headline writers would play, trying to slip something past the editors. My favorite was a headline written after a game when Lary once again beat New York. The sports writers cut it out of the newspaper the next day and taped it to the wall: "Tigers' Lary Yanks His Meat."
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by international Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:19 am

bobheckler wrote:
international wrote:He wasn't cut, just rejected the invitation because he was going to return to USA and to focus on training to be ready for training camp.

International,

The article says he's staying in Senegal.  Do you have knowledge otherwise?

bob

After being listed on Team Senegal’s preliminary 24-man World Cup roster, Tacko Fall didn’t show up on the team’s updated 16-man roster this week (Twitter links). According to Keith Smith of RealGM (Twitter link), Fall and Team Senegal reached a mutual agreement that he wouldn’t participate in the World Cup as he focuses on trying to make the Celtics. Timberwolves power forward Gorgui Dieng has also withdrawn from Senegal’s roster.

international

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:34 am

international wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

International,

The article says he's staying in Senegal.  Do you have knowledge otherwise?

bob

After being listed on Team Senegal’s preliminary 24-man World Cup roster, Tacko Fall didn’t show up on the team’s updated 16-man roster this week (Twitter links). According to Keith Smith of RealGM (Twitter link), Fall and Team Senegal reached a mutual agreement that he wouldn’t participate in the World Cup as he focuses on trying to make the Celtics. Timberwolves power forward Gorgui Dieng has also withdrawn from Senegal’s roster.

international,

I am seeing now that Tacko wanted to come back to Boston to work on his game in preparation for earning a roster spot here. I wouldn't consider Gorgui Dieng's situation to be comparable to Tacko's though. Dieng IS an NBA player in his prime and, therefore, could easily make an international team. A lot of elite NBA players declined to join Team USA, that doesn't mean they couldn't make the team.

Regardless, I am happy to see Tacko come back here and working his butt off for a shot at the final roster spot. Good for him and best of luck. He would be an immediate crowd favorite.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down