Russia vs France-full game third window-2019 european qualifiers (Vincent Poirier)

+4
kdp59
gyso
bobheckler
international
8 posters

Go down

Russia vs France-full game third window-2019 european qualifiers (Vincent Poirier) Empty Russia vs France-full game third window-2019 european qualifiers (Vincent Poirier)

Post by international Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:24 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ib1V96phgk&t=6880s

Last edited by international on Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

international

Back to top Go down

Russia vs France-full game third window-2019 european qualifiers (Vincent Poirier) Empty Re: Russia vs France-full game third window-2019 european qualifiers (Vincent Poirier)

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:30 am

international wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQc0TErpBcI

International,

I think you posted the wrong link.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Russia vs France-full game third window-2019 european qualifiers (Vincent Poirier) Empty Re: Russia vs France-full game third window-2019 european qualifiers (Vincent Poirier)

Post by gyso Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:53 am

I got:

Clippers Two-Way Player Angel Delgado's Best Plays of the Week

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:55 am

Full game:

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:02 pm

At the end of the first quarter, Poirier gets a easy bucket in transition and helps start a fast break that ties it up just before quarters end.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:46 pm

gyso wrote:Full game:

For those who want to cut to the chase:

Rudy Gobert starts at center for France, Mozgov for Russia.  Quite frankly I thought Mozgov outplayed Rudy.

Poirier (#17 in white) comes in for Rudy at the 18:24 mark of the video, with 4:51 left in the 1st quarter, if you want to fast forward to it.  The score when he comes in was 13-9, Russia, with Mozgov on the line for 2.  It was 15-9 after the fritos.

In the first quarter Poirier, in 4:51 of play, was 2-3.  He had a dunk trailing a fast break.  A real rim runner, this kid.  He also had a dunk on an entry lob.  He took a jumper from the left elbow extended, which he missed.  Mozgov didn't score while Poirier was defending him, but he did score with Rudy on him.  Poirier banged everybody who cut across the lane, nobody got a free pass.  Cowens, you have to watch that.  He was active on defense, he went out to the arc on a switch and stayed on his man. Through 1, I liked what I saw.

It was tied 22-22 after 1.  That means France went on a 13-7 run after Poirier replaced Gobert, with Poirier directly responsible for 4 of them.  

I'll let you all watch the film yourself and make up your own minds.  So far I am pleased with what I am seeing.  This isn't summer league, which are mostly bubble players hoping they show well enough to be invited to an NBA camp, where they'll be bubble players again, and maybe make the squad as a 14th or 15th player and stay on the bubble for the rest of the season.  These are some of the best players a country can put up and there are some NBA players (Rudy Gobert, Nicolas Batum, Evan Fournier, Boris Diaw and other lesser NBA players) as well as some former NBA players (Timofey Mozgov) on the floor.

Where every other NBA team is trying to move their 5s out to the arc we have 3 (Kanter, Poirier and Williams) who want to ram the ball down people's throats.  This could be VERY interesting.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by international Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:11 pm

bobheckler wrote:
international wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQc0TErpBcI

International,

I think you posted the wrong link.

bob

Sorry Bob , my bad. That happens when you are trying to post in two different pages at the same time.I just posted the correct game.

international

Back to top Go down

Post by international Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:21 pm

bobheckler wrote:

Rudy Gobert starts at center for France, Mozgov for Russia.  Quite frankly I thought Mozgov outplayed Rudy.

Poirier (#17 in white) comes in for Rudy at the 18:24 mark of the video, with 4:51 left in the 1st quarter, if you want to fast forward to it.  The score when he comes in was 13-9, Russia, with Mozgov on the line for 2.  It was 15-9 after the fritos.

In the first quarter Poirier, in 4:51 of play, was 2-3.  He had a dunk trailing a fast break.  A real rim runner, this kid.  He also had a dunk on an entry lob.  He took a jumper from the left elbow extended, which he missed.  Mozgov didn't score while Poirier was defending him, but he did score with Rudy on him.  Poirier banged everybody who cut across the lane, nobody got a free pass.  Cowens, you have to watch that.  He was active on defense, he went out to the arc on a switch and stayed on his man. Through 1, I liked what I saw.

It was tied 22-22 after 1.  That means France went on a 13-7 run after Poirier replaced Gobert, with Poirier directly responsible for 4 of them.  

I'll let you all watch the film yourself and make up your own minds.  So far I am pleased with what I am seeing.  This isn't summer league, which are mostly bubble players hoping they show well enough to be invited to an NBA camp, where they'll be bubble players again, and maybe make the squad as a 14th or 15th player and stay on the bubble for the rest of the season.  These are some of the best players a country can put up and there are some NBA players (Rudy Gobert, Nicolas Batum, Evan Fournier, Boris Diaw and other lesser NBA players) as well as some former NBA players (Timofey Mozgov) on the floor.

Where every other NBA team is trying to move their 5s out to the arc we have 3 (Kanter, Poirier and Williams) who want to ram the ball down people's throats.  This could be VERY interesting.

bob

Bob you really know about basketball, many people will be saying..oh only 4 points and a few rebounds, but there is more than points and stats , I like the way he move in defense, and how good he is as passer, he made good picks, and runs the floor as fast as a guard, tough in the box out and very active.i posted the video hoping that people with real knowledge of basketball will appreciate the way Poirier plays and I wasn't wrong.

international

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:10 pm

international wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

bob

Bob you really know about basketball, many people will be saying..oh only 4 points and a few rebounds, but there is more than points and stats , I like the way he move in defense, and how good he is as passer, he made good picks, and runs the floor as fast as a guard, tough in the box out and very active.i posted the video hoping that people with real knowledge of basketball will appreciate the way Poirier plays and I wasn't wrong.

international,

I don't think anybody thinks you're wrong when it comes to the global basketball game and style and talent.  In fact, you are the acknowledged board expert on this, the same way gyso is our capologist.  Others understand how cap space is affected by contracts but few challenge him when he offers his opinion.  Same with you, but most of us haven't watched anywhere near as much international b-ball as you and we're loathe to just accept on faith.  It's human nature to be skeptical of things one isn't familiar with.

If there is one thing I wasn't crazy about Poirier, and this is (I think!) a Eurobasketball style more than him, is that he sets too many slip screens and faux screens for my taste.  In the NBA you see more set screens; where you set it, you hold it and you force the on-the-ball defender to go over, under or through you before you release and roll or pop.  In Europe, it seems to my uneducated eyes, players set screens but release and roll to the hoop just before the defender even reach them, aka 'slip screens'.  It forces the screener's defender to roll with him and that creates a bit of an angle for the ball to turn the corner on his man without the screener's defender being able to just slide a little to stay in front of him and prevent the penetration because he's already falling back with the screener.  In one case Poirier started to run out to the top of the key to set a pick for the ball but reversed and dove to the rim before he even got to the frito line.  This is what I call a 'faux screen'.  You don't even get to where a screen is set, much less held, you just sorta fake like you're going to go set a screen.  Poirier reversed a step or too soon, in my opinion.  He didn't get Mozgov to commit more fully to defending the screen above the frito line before he left the area and as a result the on-the-ball defender didn't have to make a choice; stay with the ball or stay with the screen?  I think these are things that Brad will work on with him, the nuances between NBA ball and Euro ball.  

I did like Poirier's energy level on defense.  He was quite active and mobile.  He rotated well, he challenged shots.  The reports are that the Celtics are seeing him as potentially a high-quality low post defender.  That would be beyond great.

And as far as "only 4 points", I will take 4 points in 5 minutes from my back up center any day.  That's 16 points in 20 minutes, and I am just fine with that.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:58 pm

btw, this might have been the worst game I've ever seen Rudy Gobert play.  He did NOT look like an NBA player, much less one that is a DPOY and is still at the top of his game.  Terrible on both ends.

They used some man-mountain in the 2nd half instead of Poirier.  A guy who was eligible to be drafted in 2014 but wasn't.  7'2" and just awful footwork, truly awful.  Had trouble getting out of his own way.  Give him the ball, let him try to back you down and then pull the chair out from behind him.  He'd be worth 3 or 4 traveling turnovers by himself. His last name is Fall. I don't know if he's related to Tacko. I sure hope not.

Poirier, in my opinion, looked better than either of them.  Why he wasn't played I have no idea.  Now, in the regular season, Rudy will probably look better than Vincent because of his experience but not in this game.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by international Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:18 pm

bobheckler wrote:
international wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

bob

international,

I don't think anybody thinks you're wrong when it comes to the global basketball game and style and talent.  In fact, you are the acknowledged board expert on this, the same way gyso is our capologist.  Others understand how cap space is affected by contracts but few challenge him when he offers his opinion.  Same with you, but most of us haven't watched anywhere near as much international b-ball as you and we're loathe to just accept on faith.  It's human nature to be skeptical of things one isn't familiar with.

If there is one thing I wasn't crazy about Poirier, and this is (I think!) a Eurobasketball style more than him, is that he sets too many slip screens and faux screens for my taste.  In the NBA you see more set screens; where you set it, you hold it and you force the on-the-ball defender to go over, under or through you before you release and roll or pop.  In Europe, it seems to my uneducated eyes, players set screens but release and roll to the hoop just before the defender even reach them, aka 'slip screens'.  It forces the screener's defender to roll with him and that creates a bit of an angle for the ball to turn the corner on his man without the screener's defender being able to just slide a little to stay in front of him and prevent the penetration because he's already falling back with the screener.  In one case Poirier started to run out to the top of the key to set a pick for the ball but reversed and dove to the rim before he even got to the frito line.  This is what I call a 'faux screen'.  You don't even get to where a screen is set, much less held, you just sorta fake like you're going to go set a screen.  Poirier reversed a step or too soon, in my opinion.  He didn't get Mozgov to commit more fully to defending the screen above the frito line before he left the area and as a result the on-the-ball defender didn't have to make a choice; stay with the ball or stay with the screen?  I think these are things that Brad will work on with him, the nuances between NBA ball and Euro ball.  

I did like Poirier's energy level on defense.  He was quite active and mobile.  He rotated well, he challenged shots.  The reports are that the Celtics are seeing him as potentially a high-quality low post defender.  That would be beyond great.

And as far as "only 4 points", I will take 4 points in 5 minutes from my back up center any day.  That's 16 points in 20 minutes, and I am just fine with that.

bob
Bob, when I said that I wasn't wrong I was talking about how confident I was that the people with real knowledge of the game like my friends of this forum were going to appreciate the job Poirier did on those 5 minutes minutes.

international

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:58 am

amazing that no one has given him a multi year NBA contract in the 4 years since he was eligible to be drafted!!

I mean , my goodness hes' a stud, as good as Gobert almost.

and he can only get a one year minimum wage contract, must be simply the anti- international bias that is built into the NBA I guess and certainly not his marginal NBA talent.

but this is the time of year, where every fan of every team sees that diamond in the rough that each team has on the roster. Those marignal NBA players who will become that unknown star for their favorite team.

I'll wait until the NBA games start before I give him any props as a real NBA player sorry.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:43 am

kdp59 wrote:amazing that no one has given him a multi year  NBA contract in the 4 years since he was eligible to be drafted!!

and he can only get a one year minimum wage contract, must be simply the anti- international bias that is built into the NBA I guess and certainly not his marginal NBA talent.

but this is the time of year, where every fan of every team sees that diamond in the rough that each team has on the roster. Those marignal NBA players who will become that unknown star for their favorite team.

I'll wait until the NBA games start before I give him any props as a real NBA player sorry.

Nice tongue-in-cheek approach.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:13 pm

Guess who Poirer is working out with right now? Rudy Gobert

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by international Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:51 pm

kdp59 wrote:amazing that no one has given him a multi year  NBA contract in the 4 years since he was eligible to be drafted!!

This sarcastic comments shouldn't be answered by me ,and I think if I do is a waste of time. I will only say two things ,in my over 40 years in basketball, as a player, coach and fan , I have never seen fans as negative as Boston fans and that includes baseball too.Sorry if I offend someone , but I think people who haven't practiced the sport of basketball should refrain from commenting about it.But if the gms, scouts and presidents of the teams are failing to identify good players from places outside USA (examples like jokic, Antetokoumpo, Gasol Brothers, Goberts,and many more ) what can you expect from the common fan who has never played and doesn't know what is talking about.

international

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:47 pm

Poirier: Quick, aggressive, runs the floor and defends well, boxes out, bangs, and dunks. Liked what I saw...
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:59 pm

VP played 7:47 

He ran the floor well and got dunks on those (2) opportunities.  He also missed a wide open shot from the left side and missed a post scoring opportunity on the right.  He scored 4 points with 1 rebound, 1 assist and 0 blocks. 

http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/european-qualifiers/game/0207/Russia-France#|tab=boxscore

I'm not buying all the hype.  

Let VP come in and prove he can ball.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down