NBA reveals Celtics’ deadline to extend Jaylen Brown’s rookie contract

4 posters

Go down

NBA reveals Celtics’ deadline to extend Jaylen Brown’s rookie contract Empty NBA reveals Celtics’ deadline to extend Jaylen Brown’s rookie contract

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:11 pm

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/13/nba-reveals-celtics-deadline-to-extend-jaylen-browns-rookie-contract/

NBA reveals Celtics’ deadline to extend Jaylen Brown’s rookie contract

By Quenton S. Albertie | 12 minutes ago

As many know, the NBA schedule doesn’t just supply fans with dates of games, whether they’re marquee matchups featuring heavyweight contenders or games played between division rivals. The NBA schedule also presents franchises with key dates that can determine the trajectory of their future, such as trade deadlines and the deadlines for contract extensions.

According to ESPN’s Bobby Marks, with the 2019-20 NBA Schedule having been announced on Monday afternoon, franchises are now aware of their deadline to sign players to an extension on their rookie scale contracts. Among those teams that have notable players eligible for such extensions are the Boston Celtics, with swingman Jaylen Brown’s contract set to expire at the end of the season.

With the 2019-20 NBA Schedule now announced, Mon. Oct. 21 @ 6PM ET. is the deadline for a player to sign a rookie extension. There are 17 players eligible, headlined by Pascal Siakam, Brandon Ingram, Jaylen Brown, Caris LeVert, Domantas Sabonis, Dejounte Murray and Buddy Hield.

— Bobby Marks (@BobbyMarks42) August 12, 2019

After the season, the Celtics would have to extend a qualifying offer to Brown to make him a restricted free agent, a term that often coincides with player that a team is interested in keeping but may not otherwise have the cap space to re-sign. Like an unrestricted free agent whose Bird Rights are held by a particular franchise, teams are able to go over the salary cap to sign a restricted free agent.

Bird Rights, which also allow teams to go over the salary cap to sign players to a maximum contract, can only be gained by a franchise if a player has been under contract with the same team for three seasons. However, players eligible for rookie scale contract extensions are players that have been on their team for three seasons; subsequently, they can be offered rather lucrative contract extensions.

Brown notably represents himself, without an agent. However, Brown is one of the most intellectually-inclined players in the league so while an agent may have expertise in contract law that he doesn’t have, he’s well-equipped to make intelligible business decisions from a mental standpoint.

Seen as one of the better young wings in the league, Brown has yet to break out in a major way, unlike Toronto Raptors forward Pascal Siakam or teammate Jayson Tatum. However, his two-way potential, toughness, zeal and work ethic are undeniable, as are his impressive physical traits.

An athletic wing with prototypical size for shooting guard, Brown needs to work on his guard skills but has made major strides as a shooter, both off-the-dribble or spotting up.

His ball-handling and passing are certainly still works in progress, as are his pull-up game. Nonetheless, between his offensive potential and current level of defensive production, routinely hounding defenders as a player with his size, athleticism and passionate play should, Brown is seen as a major piece of Boston’s future.

Last season, Brown averaged 13.0 points, 4.2 rebounds, 1.4 assists and 0.9 steals per game while shooting 46.5 percent from the field and 34.4 percent from three-point range.

The prior season, Brown averaged 14.5 points, 4.9 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 1.0 steal per game while shooting 46.5 percent from the field and 39.5 percent from three. He’s shot just 65.8 percent from the free-throw for his career, a major area of weakness that highlights that he’s more natural as a slasher than a jump shooter.

Quite frankly, it would be best for both he and the team to wait until after the season to try to come to terms on a new deal.

Increased productivity would obviously boost his market value but should he maintain his current averages while showing he’s developed his guard skills, he should still be able to be paid like an upper echelon player. For the Celtics, to reduce the risk overpaying for Brown or offering him less than what he believes he’s worth on the free market, they would have to employ a wait-and-see approach.

Brown is set to make $6.5 million this season.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

NBA reveals Celtics’ deadline to extend Jaylen Brown’s rookie contract Empty Re: NBA reveals Celtics’ deadline to extend Jaylen Brown’s rookie contract

Post by dboss Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:22 pm

When I look at the money that both Murray and Simmons got ($170 m Contracts) I thought they were both overpaid.  

I think anything south of a 5 year $125m contract for JB and we would lose him.  The problem is that other teams may drive up the price and Boston could find itself in a very precarious position.  He can afford to take less than other guys because he does not have to pay a percentage to his agent so his net will be higher than guys that had to pay their agent.  

His rookie year he played limited rotation minutes.

His second year he became a starter and was asked to switch from a SF to a shooting guard.  I believe that SF is his natural position.  Yet he preformed well at SG, was second on the team in scoring and was a major factor along with Tatum in getting us to game 7 of the ECF.

In year 3 he began the year in a shooting funk.  He went to the bench and experienced a drop off of almost 5 minutes in playing time. His confidence was shaken.  He handled the situation with maturity and once his number was called he and Morris turned in the mot consistent playoff performance on the team.

Year 4 presents a new challenge for him.  Given a paired down roster he has an opportunity to get back to playing 30 MPG.  I think he can be an 18 PPG scorer provided he gets 13-14 FGA per game.  As he continues to work on his FT shooting (76.7% during the playoffs last season) and his ball handling and passing his value is likely to be high.

I would not bet against this young man.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

NBA reveals Celtics’ deadline to extend Jaylen Brown’s rookie contract Empty Re: NBA reveals Celtics’ deadline to extend Jaylen Brown’s rookie contract

Post by worcester Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:00 pm

Not betting against Jaylen? Then it's smarter to sign him to a rookie extension while he is still somewhat unproven, at a time when other teams can't bid for his services. $140M/5 years could be a bargain come July 2020.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:07 pm

Worcester, Danny has in the past put extension offers on the table like he did for Marcus Smart and Terry Rozier.  Those guys rejected those offers.  I think Danny needs to make a concerted effort to put a reasonable offer on the table for Jaylen.  

I could definitely see $140M/5 years.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:34 pm

I'm a fan of Jaylen Brown's, however, $140M/5 years is $28M/year.  That's almost a max contract and is A LOT of money for a player who

1.  MAY get his starting job back this year.  He only started 25 games last year.  

2.  Has never been an All-Star, never even been close.  

3.  Has never been named to an NBA All-Defense team.

4.  Has never been on an NBA leader board in any category at any point in 3 seasons, not even on a /minute basis.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:39 pm

You've brought me back down to earth Bob
That's whatxwe should offee Jaylen if he earns an All Star berth this season.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:05 pm

Murray and Simmons got max rookie contracts which I believe was too high.

The market is going to be tight for a two way player like Brown.  Early rankings for 2020 free agents has Jaylen at # 6 https://hoopshype.com/2019/07/18/nba-free-agency-2020-the-top-players/

Jaylen had a better overall defensive rating than both Murray and Simmons.  

I expect Jaylen to have a great year and i expect him to play 30 MPG at least.  Brad made a mistake by limiting his playing time last year.  I do not know what offer he will get but you can bet it will be more than what Danny wants to pay.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:14 pm

dboss wrote:Murray and Simmons got max rookie contracts which I believe was too high.

The market is going to be tight for a two way player like Brown.  Early rankings for 2020 free agents has Jaylen at # 6 https://hoopshype.com/2019/07/18/nba-free-agency-2020-the-top-players/

Jaylen had a better overall defensive rating than both Murray and Simmons.  

I expect Jaylen to have a great year and i expect him to play 30 MPG at least.  Brad made a mistake by limiting his playing time last year.  I do not know what offer he will get but you can bet it will be more than what Danny wants to pay.
Totally agree Jaylen was held back and didn’t get enough minutes and fga’s, I would hope he is allowed to attack more and be himself, a guy like Popovich would be playing him 30 plus minutes a game and say be our next Kawhi. Believe me Pop would develop him, BS better get his shit together. If we don’t play and pay him, someone will, someone will jump on an opportunity to give him a bigger role.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down