Boston Celtics owner ‘almost crashed my car’ when he learned Kemba Walker might come to Boston

Go down

Boston Celtics owner ‘almost crashed my car’ when he learned Kemba Walker might come to Boston Empty Boston Celtics owner ‘almost crashed my car’ when he learned Kemba Walker might come to Boston

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:07 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/08/boston-celtics-owner-almost-crashed-my-car-when-he-learned-kemba-walker-might-come-to-boston.html?outputType=amp

Boston Celtics owner ‘almost crashed my car’ when he learned Kemba Walker might come to Boston

Posted Aug 16, 11:10 PM

Boston Celtics owner ‘almost crashed my car’ when he learned Kemba Walker might come to Boston S26BNU7LFVB27OL2UYWHVAXFTQ
Newly acquired Boston Celtics guard Kemba Walker laughs while surrounded by media at the Celtics' basketball practice facility, Wednesday, July 17, 2019, in Boston. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola) AP

By Tom Westerholm | twesterh@masslive.com

SALEM, NH -- Boston Celtics owner Steve Pagliuca was driving and talking to Celtics GM Danny Ainge when he learned Kemba Walker might be available to the Celtics this summer.

“I almost crashed my car when I heard that,” Pagliuca said, chuckling.

Pagliuca, speaking at a Shamrock Foundation event at Canobie Lake Park, said his conversations with Walker since the signing have been very positive.

“Kemba is really excited,” Pagliuca said. “I always like to watch him play unless it was against us. He beat us last year single-handedly in the last five minutes, so it’s great to have him on our side. Just really positive attitude from everybody this year.”

The Celtics came on quickly as a suitor for Walker -- after it became abundantly clear that Kyrie Irving planned to leave the franchise in free agency, and after the Celtics cleared something close to max cap space, evidence appeared to be piling up that Boston planned to make a run at a star. With a slot open at point guard, Walker was a natural fit.

“Very fortunate, and it’s great we have a fantastic basketball staff like Danny and Mike Zarren and Austin Ainge that made that happen,” Pagliuca said. “Very fortuitous, and it’s a great fit with Kemba. Kemba’s from the region, a legend at UConn, everyone knows him here. He’s a great person, great individual, great player. We couldn’t ask for more from Kemba.”

Now the Celtics will try to run a version of last year’s team back, replacing Irving with Walker and hoping the upgraded team chemistry will make up for a loss of talent with both Irving and Al Horford gone. Improvements for the Celtics will be up to the rest of the roster -- if Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown and Gordon Hayward can take steps forward, the team will be in good hands.

Pagliuca said Hayward in particular has been working out in Boston, and he mentioned Tatum’s performance with Team USA -- and Tatum’s opportunity to learn from USA coach Gregg Popovich -- as reasons for optimism next season.

“He continues to grow as a person and a player," Pagliuca said. “We think he can take it to the next level, so it’ll be fun to watch.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down