Why Celtics’ Grant Williams Among NBA Rookies ‘Most Likely To Outperform’

5 posters

Go down

Why Celtics’ Grant Williams Among NBA Rookies ‘Most Likely To Outperform’  Empty Why Celtics’ Grant Williams Among NBA Rookies ‘Most Likely To Outperform’

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:00 pm

https://nesn.com/2019/09/why-celtics-grant-williams-among-nba-rookies-most-likely-to-outperform/

Why Celtics’ Grant Williams Among NBA Rookies ‘Most Likely To Outperform’

by Marcus Kwesi O'Mard

on Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 10:37AM

Perhaps the NBA community’s radar should have done a better job picking up on Grant Williams.

ESPN’s Mike Schmitz on Friday included the Boston Celtics forward on his list of “Six NBA rookies most likely to outperform this season.” The Celtics selected Williams with the No. 22 pick in the 2019 NBA Draft, but Schmitz believes his physical and mental toughness and his passing ability will make him stand out from most of his rookie peers.

“The No. 206 recruit in his high school class, 20-year-old Grant Williams is a consistent overachiever,” Schmitz wrote. “I’d expect more of the same as he joins a Celtics team that values the toughness, intangibles and maturity he consistently brings to the floor. … He’s a winner through and through, perfectly suited for Boston’s culture.”

Williams nominally is a forward, but Schmitz believes he has the skill set to prompt Celtics head coach Brad Stevens to use him at center.

“… Williams is tough and instinctive enough to slide up to the five in a pinch. Whether playing small ball or in a more traditional lineup, the Celtics’ front line isn’t exactly filled with world-beaters either in Enes Kanter, Daniel Theis, Robert Williams and Vincent Poirier — among whom Grant Williams is already the best passer, with the potential to become the best floor spacer (36.8 percent from 3 in summer league).”

Williams was the SEC Player of the Year in 2018 and 2019 and was a First Team All-American selection in 2018-19. While his NBA draft position might not reflect that his pedigree, Schmitz believes the previous stage of his career teaches one fundamental lesson.

“For all of his perceived shortcomings, his illustrious Tennessee career taught us to never bet against Grant Williams.”

Duly noted.

bob
MY NOTE:  Cowens' "feel good" story du jour.  GWill is Cowens' pet rookie this year.  I too am curious to see how much of a factor his lack of height for his position will affect him, but it's obvious he has very good BBIQ and is an alert passer. I wouldn't be surprised if Brad started using him as a "point forward" by the end of this year or next.  

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Why Celtics’ Grant Williams Among NBA Rookies ‘Most Likely To Outperform’  Empty Re: Why Celtics’ Grant Williams Among NBA Rookies ‘Most Likely To Outperform’

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:10 pm

He can do more than pass, you can only play at whatever level you can play at, in college he could play very well in the arguably best conference, in SL he played well, showing alot of skills didn’t know he had. I don’t know if he can play the 5, but feeling he can definitely play at this ultimate level....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Why Celtics’ Grant Williams Among NBA Rookies ‘Most Likely To Outperform’  Empty Re: Why Celtics’ Grant Williams Among NBA Rookies ‘Most Likely To Outperform’

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:32 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:He can do more than pass, you can only play at whatever level you can play at, in college he could play very well in the arguably best conference, in SL he played well, showing alot of skills didn’t know he had. I don’t know if he can play the 5, but feeling he can definitely play at this ultimate level....

Cow,

Here's some more Happy Meal for you. This was posted in March, so this opinion was conceived before the draft and summer league.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:01 am

not the only pre-draft opinion that compared him to Draymond Green to be honest.

IF he becomes even Draymond LITE, he will be a good pick up where he was drafted

Both he and Rob Williams "promise" is why I want the team to give them minutes this year. I don't feel we have a chance to go far in the playoffs this year and seeing what both these men can do is important for the future. More so than playing older players who we already know their ceilings.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:34 am

kdp59 wrote:not the only pre-draft opinion that compared him to Draymond Green to be honest.

IF he becomes even Draymond LITE, he will be a good pick up where he was drafted

Both he and Rob Williams "promise" is why I want the team to give them minutes this year. I don't feel we have a chance to go far in the playoffs this year and seeing what both these men can do is important for the future. More so than playing older players who we already know their ceilings.

Really I think the East is wide open, all top teams are flawed, if 2 J’s take next jump in efficiency and GH is stronger version, if get more out of RW, Kantor, Poirer, a lot of ifs, but we can be top 1-3 in East this year....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:41 am

bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:He can do more than pass, you can only play at whatever level you can play at, in college he could play very well in the arguably best conference, in SL he played well, showing alot of skills didn’t know he had. I don’t know if he can play the 5, but feeling he can definitely play at this ultimate level....

Cow,

Here's some more Happy Meal for you.  This was posted in March, so this opinion was conceived before the draft and summer league.

bob

He can score in variety of ways, inside, midrange, hopefully gets his outside shot down, can post and drive, handle and pass the ball better than most 4’s, he can run the high post offense. One of those bulky guys that has knack for carving out space. As someone pointed out, in a conference with Kentucky, he must be pretty good to be 2 time PoY....or whatever they call it.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:20 pm

He is not Draymond.  Draymond is a super athletic player.  He does have many of the same skill sets but Grant is no where near as quick.

He may be a guy without a position.

Last edited by dboss on Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:01 am

dboss wrote:He is not Draymond.  Draymond is a super atletic player.  He does have many of the same skill sets but Grant is no where near as quick.

Agreed he’s going have to learn NBA style defense, which means he’s going to have to learn what he can and can’t get away with, for a 6’7” defender Draymond is as good as it gets. If his defense is not lockdown, hopefully it is not a complete liability and he can still do other good things to contribute.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:48 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
dboss wrote:He is not Draymond.  Draymond is a super atletic player.  He does have many of the same skill sets but Grant is no where near as quick.

Agreed he’s going have to learn NBA style defense, which means he’s going to have to learn what he can and can’t get away with, for a 6’7” defender Draymond is as good as it gets. If his defense is not lockdown, hopefully it is not a complete liability and he can still do other good things to contribute.

I have no doubt GWill will find ways to contribute.  He is way too smart a ball player not to recognize what isn't working anymore for him at this level and adjust.  The hard part for him, I think, will be understanding that at 6'7" he is quite undersized.  There are guards taller than him (e.g. Jaylen Brown, DeMar DeRozan, Klay Thompson).  He's going to have to change his inside game because of that, he's not going to just be able to shoot over defenders down low.  The question lingering in my mind is "can he move his feet fast enough on defense to guard wings in the half court?".  That will be a major career crossroad for him.  If he cannot do that then he will always be an undersized big, which will limit his court time since it will be very matchup driven.  If he can move his feet that fast, and he might have to lose weight to do it, he could have a very nice career (assuming he doesn't have a weight problem like Sully).

But, he's a hard worker and he's smart.  I think he will develop into a point forward type of player.  Too big and strong to put a guard (or even a SF) on him, too quick for a big and an excellent passer with excellent court vision.  His high BBIQ will serve him, and us, well.  I think he'll make Danny look good, picking him with #22.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:47 am

OK, Cowens/OS, BobH warned me of jumping in the cage with you! haha I'll give you the SEC is the best FOOTBALL conference. Hands Down. Top to Bottom. We only have Clemson followed by a bunch of wannabees. But you will have to argue that the SEC is the best basketball conference versus ACC.

Love Always,

db

dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:33 pm

bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:

I have no doubt GWill will find ways to contribute.  He is way too smart a ball player not to recognize what isn't working anymore for him at this level and adjust.  The hard part for him, I think, will be understanding that at 6'7" he is quite undersized.  There are guards taller than him (e.g. Jaylen Brown, DeMar DeRozan, Klay Thompson).  He's going to have to change his inside game because of that, he's not going to just be able to shoot over defenders down low.  The question lingering in my mind is "can he move his feet fast enough on defense to guard wings in the half court?".  That will be a major career crossroad for him.  If he cannot do that then he will always be an undersized big, which will limit his court time since it will be very matchup driven.  If he can move his feet that fast, and he might have to lose weight to do it, he could have a very nice career (assuming he doesn't have a weight problem like Sully).

But, he's a hard worker and he's smart.  I think he will develop into a point forward type of player.  Too big and strong to put a guard (or even a SF) on him, too quick for a big and an excellent passer with excellent court vision.  His high BBIQ will serve him, and us, well.  I think he'll make Danny look good, picking him with #22.

bob

That’s exactly the way I see how his career/contributions could turnout. I remember a match up when I knew Paul Pierce had arrived, he put up 36 or 39 on the Heat one night and was going right at Anthony Mason who was a bully ball 3 and Pierce just kept on driving right at Mason, who was hulking, but could not keep up with a young Pierce as he totally took over the 4th, hitting the winning shot on a lefty drive. Luckily this team has an abundance of 3’s with 2 J’s, GH, possibly Romeo, I see G Will playing the 4 and creating and spreading the floor on offense. Hopefully he can defend enough and rebound at this level. Offensively as you said I could see him scoring on 3’s very well, especially the ones that like and try to play the 4 for stretches nowadays, I’m not expecting him to cover elite 3’s. But I love the idea of him punishing 3’s trying to cover him and taking big 4’s outside and using speed/finesse to drive by them.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:20 am

I do believe he will be a fine rebounder. I believe he will find open guys. At this point I do not know if he can defend at the 4 in the post without picking up a lot of fouls. I do not know if he is quick enough to defend out to the perimeter.

He will find his way and is on the right team.

Time for me to turn on NBA Team Pass by 10/6
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down