Boston Celtics Marcus Smart enters the next stage of his career: ‘I’m getting older’

Go down

Boston Celtics Marcus Smart enters the next stage of his career: ‘I’m getting older’ Empty Boston Celtics Marcus Smart enters the next stage of his career: ‘I’m getting older’

Post by bobheckler Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:56 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/09/marcus-smart-enters-the-next-stage-of-his-career-im-getting-older.html

Boston Celtics Marcus Smart enters the next stage of his career: ‘I’m getting older’

Updated 4:22 PM;
Today 4:21 PM

Boston Celtics Marcus Smart enters the next stage of his career: ‘I’m getting older’ OGDYPQVJPBFQLBAL6XIJ3TKCZ4
CANTON, MASSACHUSETTS - SEPTEMBER 30: Marcus Smart #36 poses for photos during Celtics Media Day at High Output Studios on September 30, 2019 in Canton, Massachusetts. (Photo by Maddie Meyer/Getty Images)

By John Karalis | JKaralis@masslive.com

CANTON -- Marcus Smart isn’t a kid anymore.

Well, he’s 25-years-old, so it’s not like he’s applying for his AARP card or anything, but he understands that the rocket boosters have come off at this point of his career.

“I”m getting older,” he said at his media day press availability.

The freshly braided hair is still part of his “drip” versus some misguided attempt to hold onto his youth, but there is a definite sense of responsibility that has been added to his NBA life.

He’s getting ready for his sixth year as a pro. His rookie season in the Association was Tremont Waters’ sophomore year at Notre Dame High School.

“I see my role as bigger than ever now,” Smart said earlier this summer. “Just because once again, being that longest-tenured Celtic, going into my sixth season and really understanding Brad and this organization, and the system that he likes to run, and just, that’s who I am. And I’ve got to be that times 10 now.”

When Waters lost his father, his summer league teammates were there to console him in person. Smart, who lost his mother a year ago, made sure to also show his support, and make sure Waters knew he was already part of the family.

“I didn’t have a face have a face-to-face conversation with Marcus Smart,” Waters said, “but he texted me and immediately I knew that it was a place I could call home, the Boston Celtics, because of that one reason.”

By now everyone knows Smart has an infectious personality. People know when he’s in the room. He doesn't wear his emotions on his sleeve as much as he wears them as a three-piece suit. There are no secrets to how he’s feeling and he’s not shy about letting anyone know why.

That only goes so far in sports if that player can’t stay on the court. The emotional messages lose a little bit of oomph when they’re delivered from a guy in civvies. There is more power to them when they’re backed up with his on-court ferocity. Part of Smart’s evolution is understanding that.

“Your body takes a little bit longer to recover now as you get older,” Smart said. “For me, this year is really just being that veteran player and understanding when to push and when not. Everybody knows how hard I am, how tough I am. Sometimes, I think that gets the best of me.”

Smart admits that in the past, he would have tried to play through the minor calf injury that cost him time during the FIBA World Cup.

"Right now, for me, I’m trying to grow as a player... taking those precautions,” he said after getting hurt. "Last year, or two or three years ago, I probably would have still been out there trying to fight through it. It’s nothing serious so we just want to make sure it doesn’t turn into anything serious.”

For all that has made Smart the cult figure he is, he lacked a certain level of maturity that kept his notorious emotions in check. When he nearly ended his playing career because he punched a picture frame, Brad Stevens said he was disappointed, adding Smart is “a very passionate person and didn't handle his emotions correctly.” Since then, Smart has learned a few things about himself.

Now he’s putting those lessons to use. Finding that balance of passion and control; that happy medium between fighting through bumps and bruises versus putting himself at risk for more serious injuries.

He turns 26 this season, which means he’s now at stage two of is career. This is his prime. He’s got about five years before people start talking about his last contract or two.

Smart has to get there first. A few years ago, there were some questions about whether he would. Now, as he gets older, it seems he’s finally found some of that balance he’d been missing.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down