+5
cowens/oldschool
gyso
NYCelt
bobheckler
Brandon$$
9 posters

Go down

Semih Erden is closer to being a Boston Celtic next season Empty Semih Erden is closer to being a Boston Celtic next season

Post by Brandon$$ Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:45 am

Semih Erden is closer to land in the Boston Celtics next season. The 23-year-old Turkish center could have already reached to an agreement with the NBA franchise, and the deal could be signed in the next days. Erden would arrive to the Celtics from Fenerbahce, averaging 8.2 points and 5.1 rebounds in 20.8 minutes per game in the last TBL. The Hoops Market

http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/boston_celtics
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Semih Erden is closer to being a Boston Celtic next season Empty Re: Semih Erden is closer to being a Boston Celtic next season

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:50 am

I saw this. Obviously, this would change a lot of things IF he signs and IF he's not just another Euro-softy.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Semih Erden is closer to being a Boston Celtic next season Empty Re: Semih Erden is closer to being a Boston Celtic next season

Post by NYCelt Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:15 pm

Just a gut feeling, no real educated basis;

From what little I've read and clips I've seen I don't think he ever plays an NBA game.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:34 pm

Just looked at his 2010 stats. Keeping in mind stats don't tell the whole story, he's underwhelming.

7'0", 240#. Unless he's tough as nails, that's not NBA center beef. He might be a backup for KG, not Perk. Being a Euro, my bet is he's not tough. He shoots 58% from the line (Hello Kendrick Perkins). He averages .8 assists and 2.3 TOs. Yuck. Very raw offensively and, as you'd expect from a Euro, NOT exactly a defensive stopper either.

Don't want to be too premature, but I'm not excited.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:11 pm

I read an article online a while back that was about the European Championships or some such thing. It said that he played Mr. Pau Gasol very tough (along with the more recognized Turkish starting center) in the game with Spain.

Again, not reading into anything, but Pau's brother Mark was likewise an unknown commodity at the time of the trade with Memphis and he turned out okay once he landed in the USA.

Anything "Gasol-like" would be a welcomed turn of events.

Go Semih!!!

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:17 pm

Pau Gasol was always an accomplished offensive player. He has always been ambidextrous. He has always had his mid-range shot. It was his defensive toughness that was the question mark.

Erden is strictly in close to the basket, he doesn't shoot foul shots like Pau and his defense is mediocre.

He's Pau-like in that they're both Euros and they're both really, really tall. I'd say it's premature to start using them in the same sentence.

But hope springs eternal.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:19 pm

bob,

Like I said, not reading into anything.

Like you said, hope springs eternal.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:55 am

Semih Erden is closer to being a Boston Celtic next season Semi_e10

Here is a bit from the Herald:

Semih Erden was in attendance for practice yesterday, but the proper transfer of paperwork prevented him from officially joining his summer league teammates with the Celtics. He should be hanging around for the “winter league,” as well.

The Celts are in the process of signing the 7-footer to a one-year deal with an option for a second season.

Erden was the team’s second-round draft pick in 2008, the 60th and last selection overall. He’s continued to play in his native Turkey, and once he saw his chance to take a shot in the NBA, the soon-to-be 24-year-old was eager to make the move.

Erden will sign a minimum contract, which comes out to $473,604 for a player with no NBA experience.

But money is not the issue.

“First of all, he lost a lot of money right now,” Tugsavul said. “He has a big contract in Europe, but he gave it up to play in the NBA.
“He really wants to come here and play, to get the opportunity.”

There is more, here is the link:

http://bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1265627&position=1

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:44 am

I would suspect if he really could play he would have already been here,hopefully he can still be developed or has one skill to contribute and build on that can keep him in the league.....be great if it was rebounding.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:53 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:I would suspect if he really could play he would have already been here,hopefully he can still be developed or has one skill to contribute and build on that can keep him in the league.....be great if it was rebounding.

Cowens,

Erden’s agent and translator, Tolga Tugsavul, said, “(Erden) said he didn’t come two years ago because he was under contract (in Turkey). His only option was this year to come here.

He was under contract. It would have taken a multi-million Euro buyout to get him released from his contract. The Celtics were willing to wait until that part of it wasn't needed. It is good timing, IMO.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:14 am

gyso I'm really hoping he can play

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:33 pm

He is now under contract with the Boston Celtics, they announced it today.
I hope he was worth the wait.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:49 pm

He is SOFT and has no offensive game - at least from what I saw today.

Willing to give him another look, as I am probably going to watch all 5 games this week....but so far, NOT impressed.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:11 pm

The kid from Notre Dame looked six times better than this guy. I just wonder what the interest in this guy for so long is. Danny has watched him for a couple of years. I wonder if there was a buy out that they had to do with the team he played for overseas to make him available. There is nothing to him for a seven footer!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:38 am

Rosalie, I don't believe there was a buyout. He and the Celtics waited two years so there would be no buyout.

As much as I felt confident whenever Harangody got the ball yesterday, I cringed on the few occasions it went in to Erden. One time he had the ball under the basket and just slightly to the right of it. So he went up and shot the ball even more to the right as though the basket weren't even there.

I hope he shows massive improvement over the next four games.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:34 am

Maxwell Smart on Erden:

"Missed it by that much"

Sam

I think after watching the game last night late (recorded it) Erden feels the same way. I just got the impression he was a lost puppy looking for an owner...........and I'm pretty sure the C's arn't in the kennel busness.

I guess there is always hope but...........and I'll leave it at that.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:00 am

beat
That Maxwell Smart comment had me chuckling,Erdin can't play any worse can he? thats the hope,really like this Notre Dame kid,he can be a real banger and asset at the 3,rough around the edges in a good way.We may have found a legit back up 3 for Pierce. cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:11 am

Cow

I know its only one game against "summer league" talent but that said, Luke reminded me a bit of Bird. NO HE"S NO LARRY BIRD but I will say this, he seems to do all things pretty well but nothing spectacular.

He can shoot, and although not fast, he gets up and down the floor well, works to get rebounding position, and he looks for advantages he can capitalize on.

Plus the biggy.........he has a lot of confidence in himself so it appears.

The guy even has Larry's vertical leap! Now lets see how he does the next few games.

beat

As for Erden..................................................................Agreed he can't possibly play any worse, (can he?)

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:21 am

Beat,

You've stolen the Maxwell Smart line I was using after the Lakers series.

I got so sick of people being patronizing to me as they asked solicitously whether I had come out of mourning that I'd lay that one on them and shut them up.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:27 am

beat
To compare anybody to Bird is pretty special and if you deem that comparison fine with me,they are both slow and not the sleek greyhounds that can fly,but I agree the kid has a game and toughness that I like and want to see more of,has a great stroke and seems very capable of mixing it up inside.I hope he can get to the line as a pro too,if Bird could play the 3 at 6'9" why can't Luke?He should be able to rough up those greyhounds offensively,in one game at least hes shown to me hes not Scal. cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:49 am

From the ND games I saw last year I never thought Harangody could play the 3 in the NBA. Most 3's are far more agile; I almost think Davis has a better shot at playing the 3!

I think he sticks, but we'll see him at the 4. Tough, gritty kid who will probably give us our moneys worth plus. He positions himself well under the boards and was a great rebounder in school. We still need some height though.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down