Paul Pierce was really the man.

5 posters

Go down

Paul Pierce was really the man. Empty Paul Pierce was really the man.

Post by worcester Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:09 am

Two days ago I listened to a hilarious interview on NBA radio with Tony Allen. The host asked him about a rumor that the 2008 Celtics used to settle disputes between themselves with boxing gloves on, and Terry - who is quite funny, self aware, and a damn good guy - said something like this:
"Yeah, it was Paul's idea, He felt like some of his ideas weren't being respected and he suggested that we all put on boxing gloves and work things out that way. The trainer actually really liked the idea, thought it would be good for our conditioning, so we all got into boxing each other. I was always about proving I was the toughest guy on the team, so I picked Big Baby Davis to go against. Right off I stepped into it and hit him with the first punch. Then he knocked me out!"

What a great team that was. What spirit. Gotta give PP his props. Such a leader and Celtic!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Paul Pierce was really the man. Empty Re: Paul Pierce was really the man.

Post by gyso Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:12 pm

So, Might makes Right?  What an ignorant and oh so obsolete concept.

Just because someone can pummel me into submission does NOT make their argument right.

Sorry W, I am not thinking that this event was constructive in any way.  The trainer should have been fired for agreeing to this.

Just my 2c.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:30 pm

That’s funny, and read a few times Pierce was doing boxing conditioning drills in his summer workouts.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:37 pm

gyso, this was not might makes right for the Celtics. This was about blowing off steam and tensions within the group in what Paul considered to be a constructive way. The trainer agreed, and the team prospered. They were a close knit group that cared for one another, and boxing was a way to get better. That's the message. Tony even laughed about the lesson Big Baby taught him.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:36 pm

worcester wrote:gyso, this was not might makes right for the Celtics. This was about blowing off steam and tensions within the group in what Paul considered to be a constructive way. The trainer agreed, and the team prospered. They were a close knit group that cared for one another, and boxing was a way to get better. That's the message. Tony even laughed about the lesson Big Baby taught him.

It seems like it was.

"He felt like some of his ideas weren't being respected and he suggested that we all put on boxing gloves and work things out that way."

Put on boxing gloves to solve a problem because he felt that his ideas were being disrespected. That was PP's message. I do not read "blowing off steam" in any of those words.

There's this:

https://uproxx.com/dimemag/tony-allen-celtics-boxing-glen-davis/

He said, “You know what, from now on I ain’t gonna raise my voice at nobody.” He said, “If I’ve got a problem, we’re putting on the gloves."

It looks like it went from talking to shouting, then to punching.

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:09 pm

gyso, It's amazing how 2 people can read/hear the same story and interpret in wildly differing ways. You are obviously entitled to your opinion. Mine is that Paul was working to end bickering on the team, and boxing was his constructive way to do it, judging from the results. As for Tony Allen, his sense of umopr endears him to me even more.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:23 pm

I'm not sure if anyone saw this story about Paul Pierce.
I'm posting it because it came out two days ago.

PAUL PIERCE LOSES $100K LAWSUIT Over 'Racist' Altercation At UFC Fight

https://www.tmz.com/2019/12/09/paul-pierce-100k-lawsuit-conor-mcgregor-khabib-fight-security-guard/
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:35 pm

worcester wrote:gyso, It's amazing how 2 people can read/hear the same story and interpret in wildly differing ways.

True. Each of us have had our own life experiences that create triggers which often tug on us later in life.

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:23 pm

Paul, you should have had the 18 oz. gloves on!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:19 am

tjmakz wrote:I'm not sure if anyone saw this story about Paul Pierce.
I'm posting it because it came out two days ago.

PAUL PIERCE LOSES $100K LAWSUIT Over 'Racist' Altercation At UFC Fight

https://www.tmz.com/2019/12/09/paul-pierce-100k-lawsuit-conor-mcgregor-khabib-fight-security-guard/
        that's a nothing story. there was no finding that PP was in the wrong. some guy filed a lawsuit and he didn't respond. BFD
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down