+5
gyso
worcester
cowens/oldschool
dboss
bobheckler
9 posters

Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Pacers, Away 12/11/19 Empty Post Game Thread - vs Pacers, Away 12/11/19

Post by bobheckler Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:53 am

I don't usually bitch about the refs, but it sure looked like they were getting a lot of home court calls last night. Ticky tack fouls being called on us and they weren't getting the same whistles.

Having said that we relied on Kemba, and a surging Jaylen towards the end, and that wasn't enough. Our defense sucked. Holiday came off the bench and scored 17 on 7-14 and that just should not have happened. We were giving him way too much room.

Tatum with a 4-13 stinker. lf you look at his shot chart, like I have, you will see that only 5 of his 13 shots were inside the arc. Not just inside the paint, inside the arc. 2 shots inside the restricted area, one elbow jumper and two from 12' and left side. I know that shooters are supposed to have short-term memories but, damn, try something else. Sink a few and then take it back outside. Tatum was 2-8 from 3. Ridiculously poor shot discipline.

Jaylen was the opposite. 5 of his shots were at the arc, and he shot 2-5 from 3, and the rest, all of them, were in the paint.

Kemba almost pulled it off. What a display of shooting. And 7 assists and only 2 turnovers. Too bad he didn't get much help. Wanny with 12, Jaylen with 18. Other than that? Meh.

Hayward got popped in the nose and got dizzy. Not in concussion protocol, but with a headache. We'll see about tonight. Smart is still questionable so, if Hayward is out, we will have a lot of problems.

Today is a travel day for me, so I won't be able to see the game and be on the Game On! thread. If I'm lucky I'll be in an airport and be able to check in. GO CELTICS!!!

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401160999

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Pacers, Away 12/11/19 Empty Re: Post Game Thread - vs Pacers, Away 12/11/19

Post by dboss Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:25 am

Late turnovers (3 in a row by JT) was a killa.  JB picking up too many fouls lately.  Not enough offensive punch, total lack of transition defense, late rotation and in general very sluggish

GW is no freakin center. He's a shrimp around the basket.

Brad has no confidence in VP and very little confidence in Kanter.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Pacers, Away 12/11/19 Empty Re: Post Game Thread - vs Pacers, Away 12/11/19

Post by dboss Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:24 am

Thought GH played well again.  

Celts missed those 14-16 mpg from RWIII

JB with a career high 8 assists (new frontier for him to conquer)

Wannamaker should have been given an and 1 on that nifty layup.  Late in game could have tied it up.

I wonder what this team will look like with a healthy roster
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:26 am

dboss wrote:Thought GH played well again.  

Celts missed those 14-16 mpg from RWIII

JB with a career high 8 assists (new frontier for him to conquer)

Wannamaker should have been given an and 1 on that nifty layup.  Late in game could have tied it up.

I wonder what this team will look like with a healthy roster

Exactly, no GH in 4th, no Smart, no RW, we’re small at the 5, we really need those 15-20 minutes of production from RW.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:46 am

Still gelling. As the Beatles sang, We can work it out.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:23 pm

I missed the first half, mostly because I am working long hours in Texas this week (last week was Arizona) and the time difference did me in. I struggled with the poor internet service in my hotel and didn't get it to settle down until after the third quarter ended.

We definitely missed Marcus Smart. Much of our success starts with his defense. His offense has improved this season so that we could have used that as well.

We apparently do not have a true center that coach Brad Stevens trusts, so there's that. Then Gordon Hayward gets smacked in the face and is lost for the rest of the game. Lastly, Jaylen Brown fouls out. Indy is too good of a team to try to beat without a couple key players.

Question: Why wasn't the smack to Gordon's face reviewed and then a flagrant foul given to the Pacer player? That looked as bad as an elbow to the face. I wonder if the NBA will include that omission in its report.

I agree with BobH. Without Smart and Hayward, we are in trouble tonight vs. the 6ers.

I cannot wait until we are at full strength.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:23 pm

dboss wrote:Late turnovers (3 in a row by JT) was a killa.  JB picking up too many fouls lately.  Not enough offensive punch, total lack of transition defense, late rotation and in general very sluggish

GW is no freakin center.  He's a shrimp around the basket.  

Brad has no confidence in VP and very little confidence in Kanter.

Yeah, he seems to have more confidence in GW???

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:43 pm

GW continues to disappoint me. Why Brad gives him minutes is a puzzler.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:49 pm

Now we are 0-3 against teams we should be 3-0 against. Hole gets a little deeper. If we wind up with 4th in the East, refer back to this post.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:01 pm

worcester wrote: ... Why Brad gives him minutes is a puzzler.

Hi,
Because he can shoot 3pts.
Seriously, I don't know either.
He gets almost the same PT as Semi, who's very close to GW, but head and shoulders better. scratch scratch scratch

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:06 pm

I did not mention missing Smart.

Why? Like in geometry, he is a given. Even with key guys missing the Celtics should have won this game which brings me to the realization that this is really a good team.

Brad remains fixated on small ball lineups even when small guys are slow can't jump and can't shoot. Go figure. There was a brief window when Theis got a blow GW came in for a possession or two. He got beat on the glass and got called for a foul that put them on the line. Brad came back with Theis pdq. At that point in the game when he put GW in we needed more size. GW is not to blame as anyone can point to mistakes made by every guy that was in the game.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:20 pm

dboss wrote:
Brad remains fixated on small ball lineups even when small guys are slow can't jump and can't shoot.  Go figure.  There was a brief window when Theis got a blow GW came in for a possession or two.  He got beat on the glass and got called for a foul that put them on the line.  Brad came back with Theis pdq.  At that point in the game when he put GW in we needed more size.  GW is not to blame as anyone can point to mistakes made by every guy that was in the game.

Completely agree. The first 5 minutes of the 4th, when Holliday was hot (maybe it was both of them Laughing ) and Pacers seized back the momentum, Brad did nothing.

I dont care what your "load management" chart says. If you need to bring back in Jaylen or Jayson or Kemba early once in a while, you do it. Come on Man.

Bad shooting by Tatum, Hayward hurt again, no smart and no RWIII - but squarely put this loss on the coach.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:32 pm

Brad has got to start using Poirier in certain match ups, GW is not a 5....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:39 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:
dboss wrote:
Brad remains fixated on small ball lineups even when small guys are slow can't jump and can't shoot.  Go figure.  There was a brief window when Theis got a blow GW came in for a possession or two.  He got beat on the glass and got called for a foul that put them on the line.  Brad came back with Theis pdq.  At that point in the game when he put GW in we needed more size.  GW is not to blame as anyone can point to mistakes made by every guy that was in the game.

Completely agree.  The first 5 minutes of the 4th, when Holliday was hot (maybe it was both of them Laughing ) and Pacers seized back the momentum, Brad did nothing.

I dont care what your "load management" chart says.  If you need to bring back in Jaylen or Jayson or Kemba early once in a while, you do it.  Come on Man.

Bad shooting by Tatum, Hayward hurt again, no smart and no RWIII - but squarely put this loss on the coach.  
Kleen 

I think Brad was thinking about the B2B tonight but I agree with you very much, 

"early once in a while, you do it."

another couple of minutes by the guys you mentioned likely changes the outcome.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:47 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Brad has got to start using Poirier in certain match ups, GW is not a 5....
I do believe that brad does need to give him a shot in a big moment.

"Vinnie I need 3 solid minutes from you. Control the glass"

VP was the top rebounder in Euro League last year.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:50 pm

dboss wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:Brad has got to start using Poirier in certain match ups, GW is not a 5....
I do believe that brad does need to give him a shot in a big moment.

"Vinnie I need 3 solid minutes from you. Control the glass"

VP was the top rebounder in Euro League last year.

Especially with RW out and he doesn’t trust Kantor with big minutes....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:24 pm

In fairness to the VP question, Miles Turner did not play much - and there is no way that Porier can play effectively against 5 small players spacing the floor like the Pacers were doing.

Celtics out rebounded the Pacers - so not sure having VP in the game was the answer last night.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:26 pm

mrkleen, astute observation. I think we outrebounded them by ten or so.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down