Boston Celtics’ Jayson Tatum makes sure to thank Daniel Theis for screens: ’I get a lot of buckets off Theis'

Go down

Boston Celtics’ Jayson Tatum makes sure to thank Daniel Theis for screens: ’I get a lot of buckets off Theis' Empty Boston Celtics’ Jayson Tatum makes sure to thank Daniel Theis for screens: ’I get a lot of buckets off Theis'

Post by bobheckler Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:28 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2020/02/boston-celtics-jayson-tatum-makes-sure-to-thank-daniel-theis-for-screens-i-get-a-lot-of-buckets-off-theis.html

Boston Celtics’ Jayson Tatum makes sure to thank Daniel Theis for screens: ’I get a lot of buckets off Theis'

Updated Feb 22, 2020; Posted Feb 21, 2020

Boston Celtics’ Jayson Tatum makes sure to thank Daniel Theis for screens: ’I get a lot of buckets off Theis' BFRX5ASQ4NENTE4S2B6UYM5KWQ
Boston Celtics forward Jayson Tatum (0) pulls down a rebound as forward Daniel Theis (27) looks on during the first half of an NBA basketball game against the Phoenix Suns, Saturday, Jan. 18, 2020, in Boston. (AP Photo/Mary Schwalm)AP

By Tom Westerholm | twesterh@masslive.com

MINNEAPOLIS -- After the Boston Celtics’ 127-117 victory over the Minnesota Timberwolves on Friday, Daniel Theis -- who put up career-highs in both points and rebounds with 25 and 16 respectively -- finished speaking to the media as Kemba Walker walked into the locker room.

“Oh, 25 and 16 on they ass,” Walker yelled, sounding delighted.

The Celtics, appropriately, appreciate everything Daniel Theis brings to the table. When they get a chance to celebrate Theis for box-score achievements, rather than screen-assists or well-timed seals, they thrilled to do so.

“I think the way that he plays just fits the other guys perfect,” Brad Stevens said.

Jayson Tatum agreed.

“I get a lot of buckets off Theis setting screens and sealing and stuff like that,” Tatum said. “I always make sure I say thank you.”

Theis gave little indication that he was in store for a career night early Friday. His first shot smacked off the backboard so hard, it caromed away from Marcus Smart, who was in position for an offensive rebound. His second hit the back iron, and Stevens pulled him shortly afterward in favor of Enes Kanter.

“I got my mind right, came back to the bench and focused, and said next time I go in I’ll play way different,” Theis said. “Play harder and just run the court.”

When he returned, the Celtics began putting Theis in pick-and-rolls. The Timberwolves didn’t have a good answer, particularly with rookie Naz Reid -- the recipient of his first career start in place of injured star Karl-Anthony Towns.

On one play, Tatum trapped his defender on his hip out of the PnR, then found Theis for a 3-pointer -- Reid was late rotating to the perimeter. On another, Theis bumped Reid on the roll, and Reid stumbled backward, then jumped -- taking himself completely out of the play as Theis powered down a one-handed dunk. On another, Theis sealed Reid out of the play as Hayward drove, then dunked home a put-back slam as Reid tumbled out of bounds.

And, of course, there was this play which didn’t involve Reid but was perhaps Theis’ best roll of the game.

Boston Celtics
✔
@celtics
👀OK SMARTIE

https://twitter.com/celtics/status/1231029877949648896
5:36 PM - Feb 21, 2020

“See what happens when you roll?” Smart asked Theis in the locker room after the game, grinning.

“It was just a good game for rolling,” Theis said a few minutes later to the assembled media. “They were back. Our team did a great job finding me on rolls and late passes, and I cut through.”

Friday’s game, of course, was a bit of an anomaly. No matter how much he rolls, Theis’ job for the Celtics will be to free up his All-Star teammates and defend hard -- not score 25 points on 9-for-14 shooting.

That’s fine with Theis.

“Because I don’t need the ball in my hands as much,” Theis said when asked why he complements the other starters so well. “We have so many talented guys that when we run pick-and-roll they have to pick someone and leave someone open. JT, (Jaylen Brown), Gordon and Kemba on the perimeter it’s hard to guard us on the pick-and-roll.”

Those teammates appreciate Theis as much as Tatum.

“He’s really unselfish, and by that, it’s not always passes,” Hayward said. “He just gives up his body a lot with his cuts, with his screens, sealing guys, letting us get open looks. He’s got a great feel for the game so he knows where to be at different points in time whether that’s rolling to the rim, half-rolling, popping. He’s a really good basketball player. And that’s just on that end. Defensively he’s been our anchor all year. He’s really good for us.”

The numbers back Hayward up. Theis is 11th in the NBA in total screen-assist points at 486 and 12th in total screen assists. He’s third on the Celtics in charges drawn with seven (notably, Walker is way out ahead of the pack with 17). Per Cleaning the Glass, the Celtics are 2.6 points per 100 possessions better defensively with Theis on the floor.

“That’s who he is,” Hayward said. “He wants to win and he makes all of us better and that’s something that doesn’t always show up in the stat sheet and you have to watch the games to understand the impact he’s able to have on games. So I really enjoy playing with him.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down