Now He's Gone Now He's Back? Sheed?

5 posters

Go down

Now He's Gone Now He's Back?  Sheed? Empty Now He's Gone Now He's Back? Sheed?

Post by 112288 Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:36 pm

WEEI Reporting 6PM Today

REPORT: SHEED COULD CHANGE MIND
By: DJ Bean
Print
According to a report on NBA.com, a source has indicated a "possibility" of Celtics forward Rasheed Wallace changing his mind regarding retirement after both coach Doc Rivers and captain Paul Pierce returned to the team.

Should Wallace follow through with his retirement, his contract would be a valuable commodity on the trade market. His deal still has two seasons and $12 million dollars on it. Wallace just finished his 15th NBA season, his first in Boston.

Back to top Go down

Now He's Gone Now He's Back?  Sheed? Empty Re: Now He's Gone Now He's Back? Sheed?

Post by Sam Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:54 pm

The worst thing about the interminable delay is that, by the time he makes his decision, a lot of the good trade prospects may no longer be available even if he retires—and possible trading partners will have greatly reduced interest in shaving dollars off their cap figures.

Grow a pair and make an announcement now, Sheed.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Now He's Gone Now He's Back?  Sheed? Empty Re: Now He's Gone Now He's Back? Sheed?

Post by worcester Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:09 am

Sam, If Rasheed were to retire before being traded, that would hurt the Celts. My sense is that he is working in concert with Danny. W
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:21 am

worcester is right. It doesn't help the team for Sheed to retire as a Celtic. It saves the owners a little cap money, but doesn't get the team a good player.

This one may take a while. Also, nothing can happen, officially, until tomorrow.

Hurry Up and Wait!!!

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:13 am

Doc made a statement in the press after this report that Sheed was still retiring and was working with the Celtics to work a deal so they can trade him and use his contract as an asset. Doc said Sheed was helping a lot.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:16 am

W and gyso,

Hey, you're preaching to the choir. I believe I'm the one who first mentioned the idea of using Sheed's contract in trade. And I understand the importance of the sequence of events. I'm just not excited about hearing that he may be backtracking on retiring. I don't believe there was any moratorium on trading like there has been on signing free agents. And, IF Sheed's truly going to leave, I'd rather see a resulting trade completed sooner rather than later.

I suspect there will be a major flurry of activity akin to homesteaders heading west once the free agent frenzy begins. It should be interesting.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:35 am

We all have to wait till LeBron's announcement Thursday. Then the string will unravel and all the other free agents will start falling in place. If LeBron doesn't go to NY, then the Knicks or even Cleveland may sign Mike Miller, removing that possibility from us. I like him because he can spell both Ray and Paul, though I don't know how good a defender he is. He's willing to take a MLE level paycheck.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:08 pm

W,

If the Celtics go after Mike Miller, we'd better hope Sheed stays on board. At least he's under contract. Then he can once again team with Glen Davis off the bench (because Sheed certainly can't perform consistently at starting center level in terms of endurance).

Then it will be fun to see which big we can attract with the veteran's minimum to replace Perk. Is Mikki Moore available?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:24 pm

If Ray leaves, Mike Miller might be an inferior but adequate replacement - though again I don't know about his defense. If Ray stays, you're right; it doesn't make sense to expend our MLE on Mike Miller when we need a big. Do we even have an MLE available? If yes, and if Shaq does not resign with Cleveland should He not stay there, then I'd like to see Shaq here. Semih appears to be semi-tough, as in the old movie about EST.

Last edited by worcester on Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp)
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:51 pm

Sam wrote:W and gyso,

Hey, you're preaching to the choir. I believe I'm the one who first mentioned the idea of using Sheed's contract in trade. And I understand the importance of the sequence of events. I'm just not excited about hearing that he may be backtracking on retiring. I don't believe there was any moratorium on trading like there has been on signing free agents. And, IF Sheed's truly going to leave, I'd rather see a resulting trade completed sooner rather than later.

I suspect there will be a major flurry of activity akin to homesteaders heading west once the free agent frenzy begins. It should be interesting.

Sam

Sam,

The July moratorium includes trades.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:26 pm

Really? I thought some trades had been consummated. Now that I think about it, however, it make sense. They need to know the cap amount for trading purposes too. Thanks for the clarification.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:34 pm

Consummated.

When I was a kid I learned the word consomme' - a type of soup, as in chicken consomme'.

When I entered adult I learned the word consummated, and it almost always applied to marriages.

Now that my hair is grey, consummated takes on a whole new meaning - finalizing basketball deals!

I liked soup the best.

worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:40 pm

92. What is the July Moratorium?

It is a period during the month of July in which teams may not sign most free agents or make trades. Free agents become free on July 1, but the salary cap is not set until the audit report is completed later in the month. Teams and players must wait for the salary cap to be set before trades and most free agent signings can commence. Teams may negotiate with free agents beginning July 1, but they have to wait until the moratorium ends before signing a contract.

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:12 am

Here is a guy that think Sheed does NOT retire:

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2010/07/08/the_view_from_hill/

“I don’t think he’s going,’’ Hill said earlier this week. “I think that what happened is he was so emotionally frustrated about what transpired at the end that this may have provoked him to think along that line.’’

It was clear that the season wore on Wallace, who was brought in by the Celtics to help bolster the Big Three in the hopes of winning a second title in three seasons. But by the All-Star break, Wallace was shooting 29.6 percent from 3-point range, struggling to find the form that made him an All-Star just two years prior.

“I think it was frustration,’’ Hill said.

Part of me hopes he is wrong, part of me hopes he is right. If the alternatives are O'Neals or Browns not named PJ, well, that is the part of me that hopes Sheed does not retire.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down