Brad Stevens: NBA in empty arenas could be ‘even more feisty’

3 posters

Go down

Brad Stevens: NBA in empty arenas could be ‘even more feisty’ Empty Brad Stevens: NBA in empty arenas could be ‘even more feisty’

Post by bobheckler Fri May 08, 2020 7:45 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2020/05/brad-stevens-playing-in-empty-arenas-could-make-the-game-even-more-feisty.html

Brad Stevens: NBA in empty arenas could be ‘even more feisty’

Updated 5:44 PM; Today 5:42 PM

By John Karalis | JKaralis@masslive.com

While no one knows for sure how the NBA will return, if it does at all, most people agree that it will not look like anything we’re used to. Whatever the final product looks like, there’s a good bet that it won’t involve fans in the stands for some time.

In a call with season ticket holders, Brad Stevens says games without fans would be disappointing, but could provide a unique setting for some interesting basketball.

“I guess playing without fans would be much more like a typical practice environment, and I think that the one thing about these guys is they don’t compete any less hard in practice,” Stevens said. “In fact, sometimes in those quiet gyms where you can hear everything somebody else is saying, it gets even more feisty. And so, I think that it would be great basketball if we’re able to do that.”

Boston Celtics players are currently in self-isolation as the league works through possible scenarios for a return. The team holds regular teleconference calls to keep in touch with players and give them motivation to keep training as best they can in this situation.

“We want to be as routine-oriented as we can, but it’s just not always feasible. And so, this particular situation, as COVID-19 shut down more and more businesses and shut down our league, became more real to all of us, then it affected everyone’s routine,” Stevens said. "It’s not an athlete thing, it’s not a coach thing, it’s an everyone thing. And so everybody is dealing with that, and I think that as an athlete, the different curveballs that come out of left field that you get used to hitting I think are good preparation for times that are going to challenge you like this.”

Slowly, as cities and states start to reopen, the league is allowing teams to open up their practice facilities under strict guidelines. Massachusetts is still under a stay-at-home order, so they won’t be one of those teams yet, but eventually players will be able to get some shots up in a familiar surrounding.

Eventually, everything will go back to normal. When that happens is anyone’s guess, but it will, and Stevens is looking forward to it.

“I can’t tell you how excited we’ll be when we do get a chance to play and I can’t tell you how much more exponentially excited we’ll be when we get a chance to play at TD Garden in front of our fans,” Stevens said. “I think we’re all looking forward to that moment and the ability to feel free to do that and feel able to do that.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Brad Stevens: NBA in empty arenas could be ‘even more feisty’ Empty Re: Brad Stevens: NBA in empty arenas could be ‘even more feisty’

Post by NYCelt Sat May 09, 2020 5:17 pm

bobheckler wrote:
“I can’t tell you how excited we’ll be when we do get a chance to play and I can’t tell you how much more exponentially excited we’ll be when we get a chance to play at TD Garden in front of our fans,” Stevens said. “I think we’re all looking forward to that moment and the ability to feel free to do that and feel able to do that.”

Amen to that.

5:00am baseball games from Korea is all we got right now. Although at least I can catch a game before heading to the office.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Brad Stevens: NBA in empty arenas could be ‘even more feisty’ Empty Re: Brad Stevens: NBA in empty arenas could be ‘even more feisty’

Post by dbrown4 Sun May 10, 2020 11:40 am

NY Celt, we're scraping the bottom of the barrel there! No interest in watching that, even if I were a baseball fan.

Brad makes a great point about being able to hear the game on the court without the crowd.

I never played organized ball growing up. I love basketball but at times I don't know why if that makes any sense. Probably from my lack of depth and full understanding of what's going on on the floor at all times. I just know I like it and enjoy it.

It would be a very interesting dynamic for sure though.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down