Play in Tournament

4 posters

Go down

Play in Tournament Empty Play in Tournament

Post by dboss Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:07 pm

There will be no play in tournament in the East.  The West however still has several teams in the mix to force a 2 game elimination series.

Here is how it works.

"If the team with the eighth-best record in its conference is more than four games ahead of the team with the ninth-best record in the same conference, no play-in tournament will be necessary. The final playoff berth will simply go to the team with the eighth best record (regular-season games + seeding games).

But if the team with the eighth-best record in its conference is four games or fewer ahead of the team with the ninth-best record in the same conference, then we'll have a battle for the final spot between those two teams.

The tournament will basically be a best-of-two series -- where the No. 9 seed will have to win two head-to-head matchups to take over the No. 8 spot."

Memphis sits in 8th place and their position is likely to deteriorate.  Their remaining 3 games are against (Raptors, Celtics and Bucks)  

While the Blazer are currently in 9th place, the Suns are only 1/2 game behind and playing excellent basketball.  Memphis has a tough remaining schedule as does Phoenix
(OKC, Sixers and Mavs)

There are so many outcomes that could occur.    9th place Portland still has to play Sixers, Mavs and Nets)

I think tie breakers for the 9th spot will come into play.  I expect Portland to jump into 8th.

The Memphis situation is only relevant to us because of their eventual draft position.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Play in Tournament Empty Re: Play in Tournament

Post by kdp59 Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:07 pm

Phoenix has been playing light out in the bubble. Is our old friend Baynes still getting any playing time there?

Portland and Memphis best keep their eyes on them as the Suns do have some skilled players.

I just read that Baynes had been Covid positive and has since been cleared , but he has yet to play in the bubble due to conditioning issues.

Monty Williams is their coach now?
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:47 pm

Memphis lost again and Portland won.

The Suns have been burning things up. 5 in a row with 3 to play.

The darling Lakers are 2 - 4 in the bubble. They have been beaten by good teams (Raptors, OKC, Rockets and Pacers) They clinched early but even so they are not playing well. They better hope that Portland does not secure the 8th seed.

Philly lost and have achieved sole possession of 3rd place. A matchup with them does not look so daunting now with Simmons gone.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:10 pm

If I was a Laker fan I'd be very concerned. Losing AB and Rondo has been terrible for them. What was the term Sam used discontinuity? They are adjusting on the fly and the new parts are individually rusty and don't have the unique attrubutes/strengths the core guys brought to the team.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:16 pm

I read two days ago that Baynes was having trouble getting his wind back, so they are not sure when/if he will be available.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:17 pm

I am going out on a limb and predict that Philly will finish 6th in the East.  In a tie breaker situation, their records against both the Pacers and the Heat is 1-3.  They are now one game back and would need to win all 3 remaining game to have a shot at moving up.  The Pacers and Heat play each other twice so we know one of those team will have at least one more loss.

Who has the toughest schedule

Sixers
vs Suns, Raptors and Rockets

Heat
vs Pacers, OKC and Pacers

Pacers
vs Heat, Rockets and Heat

Miami is 2-0 over Indy. The 4/5 spot is indistinguishable.

Boston has clinched the 3rd seed
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:36 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:If I was a Laker fan I'd be very concerned. Losing AB and Rondo has been terrible for them. What was the term Sam used discontinuity? They are adjusting on the fly and the new parts are individually rusty and don't have the unique attrubutes/strengths the core guys brought to the team.

Rondo may missed the first two rounds on the playoffs provided LAL are still in it. Lebron will be the point forward with no viable back up. They will also miss AB's defense and 3 point shooting.

The Lakers have the big front line but they are a below average team shooting the 3 ball which is now the most significant part of the game
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down