Shamrock1000
RosalieTCeltics
dbrown4
cowens/oldschool
dboss
bobheckler
10 posters

Go down

Post Game Thread - ECF, Game 5 vs Heat Empty Post Game Thread - ECF, Game 5 vs Heat

Post by bobheckler Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:07 pm

A Tale of Two Halves.  The first half was just plain awful for us, we looked completely unnerved and shaky on both ends, but we really pulled our heads out of our asses in the 2nd.  The final score doesn't really show how badly we blew them out in the 2nd half.  We outscored them 70-50 in the last 24.  We were 19-47 at the half, 40.4%, but ended the game 42-93, 45.2%.  That's a 50% shooting 2nd half, 23-46.  I have no idea what was said in the locker room at halftime.  I don't know if it was Brad saying the right thing, or Smart firing up the troops or what but damn did it ever work!

The J's were a combined 7-20 at the half.  They ended up a combined 20-45.  That's a 13-25 2nd half.  More fgas, MUCH better fg%.  20 combined points at the half, 59 for the game.  The Celtics scored a total of 70 points in the 2nd half, the J's were directly responsible for > 50% of them.  5 combined assists at the half, 8 total.  That's another 3 fgm, perhaps some 3s, attributable to the J's.  We're talking about dominating the 2nd half by 2 players.  

The 4th quarter, though, specifically belonged to Jaylen.  A 12-point 4th for Brown on 5-7.  Two of his 3s were backbreakers.  He was 4-11 at the half, 7-16 after the 3rd (a 3-5 3rd quarter) but he just exploded in "Money Time".

Theis with a great 2nd half.  He was, finally, getting some national recognition and respect from Mark Jackson and JVG for all the little things he does for us.  Now someone just needs to tell the refs.  15 points and 13 rebounds, 5 offensive, and 3 blocks.  I talked about Jaylen's 4th quarter, how's this for a 4th quarter from our 5th starter:  5 points on 2-3, 7 rebounds.  He played all 12 minutes of the 4th quarter.  We had a 29 point 4th.  12 were from Brown and 5 from Theis.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401247146

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - ECF, Game 5 vs Heat Empty Re: Post Game Thread - ECF, Game 5 vs Heat

Post by dboss Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:20 pm

bobh Thanks for getting this started.

The Celtics managed to avoid expulsion from the bubble by not getting eliminated in game 5 by the upstart Miami Heat.  There was no bigger game for this team than the one they had to win.

Some of the nervous energy was there in the first quarter because they forgot to plug in the surge protector.  The Celtics surrendered 58 points at halftime which was way too much.  A meeting of the minds during halftime helped them manage their energy at both ends of the court.

Daniel Theis was fantastic (15 points and 13 rebounds)  He was a key in busting up their zone by moving into the foul line area catching the pass, turning to the basket and geewhiz, making  no one is there shots.  Beat their zone and you beat them.  We saw some great cuts to the rim by Jaylen and Jayson did whatever he wanted to do.

The Celtics defense was the trigger for their offense.  Once the defense asserted itself they were off and running.  They reduced their turnovers significantly down to 11, they won the glass, points in the paint and fast break points and they held them to 19.4% from deep.

While there were still some bad possessions and bad shot attempts, overall the team played with a sense of urgency and execution.  Coach Stevens did a good job managing the game including using his timeouts .  My only criticism was  playing Grant Williams who played 8 useless minutes.

Game 6 tomorrow provides another chance to even the series.  The Celtics have to take it one game at a time.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - ECF, Game 5 vs Heat Empty Re: Post Game Thread - ECF, Game 5 vs Heat

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:29 pm

Great game by the 2 J’s, Paul Pierce called them out at halftime, saying if they don’t play like superstars in 2nd half we’re done. I had no confidence that they would respond, but they sure did. I don’t know if it was Brad figuring out a way to get them going or they took it upon themselves. I think it was more they were pissed with their performance, how could they not be? And took it upon themselves to play harder and better and use their god given attributes to their highest level and playing with desperation got them going. Glad they came thru, Jaylen had some sparkling defensive plays, key steals on Butler and Adebeyo led to great fast break offense. Good learning experience for them, they are both so dynamic and talented, now continue leading and carrying team on your back. Is there any 6’7”-6’8” wing on Heat that could beat either of these guys one on one? Even though GH did not have big stats, just him playing steady was huge, him getting floor time allowed Tatum and Brown to get some rest, so they could finish strong. So tired of seeing Semi just stand in the corner on offense. We have to continue playing desperate....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:35 pm

Here's all I want to see before things come to an end in the bubble. I just want to see 4 straight up Celtic basketball quarters played by this team. That's all. I'd prefer it to be in G7 because that implies we won G6, but I'll take a G6 complete game and even losing G7 at this point if that's all we can muster. If MIA was meant to beat us, it doesn't matter. Just give me one complete game.

The zone you pretty much have to come out of when a team figures it out. And guess what? MIA did and the one-on-one fouls kept pouring in as we just kept running down the middle toward the basket on offense. Amazing, isn't it? Have we really figured it out? We'll see tomorrow. And another thing, we kept the lead this time. Amazing, isn't it?

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:49 pm

dbrown4 wrote:Here's all I want to see before things come to an end in the bubble.  I just want to see 4 straight up Celtic basketball quarters played by this team.  That's all.  I'd prefer it to be in G7 because that implies we won G6, but I'll take a G6 complete game and even losing G7 at this point if that's all we can muster.  If MIA was meant to beat us, it doesn't matter.  Just give me one complete game.    

The zone you pretty much have to come out of when a team figures it out.  And guess what?  MIA did and the one-on-one fouls kept pouring in as we just kept running down the middle toward the basket on offense.  Amazing, isn't it?  Have we really figured it out?  We'll see tomorrow.  And another thing, we kept the lead this time.  Amazing, isn't it?

db

Once we got the lead the key to keeping it and continuing building it was the defense and the guy I saw making great defensive plays all over was Jaylen....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:29 pm

The one thing I thought last night was that Butler and Adebyo looked tired, right from the start. They may have hit some shots, but Butler especially was either front rimming or back rimming alot of shots. They have been playing a a torrid pace since the Bucs series. This is just an observation from my point of view. Even Crowder, as tough as he is on defense, had a tough night shooting.

I hope the Celtics continue to pressure them full court, I know they have some excellent shooters but I think this will help.

They got away with two flagrant fouls last night, who the heck trains these ref's? They have problems making decisions. And in more than one instance, they were out of bounds with the ball, stepping on the line, it is something they are not bothering to call.

All in all, it was a great show of Celtic basketball in the second half. You could sense going off the floor and half time that the Celts were going to make a run. All they had to do is start playing together. And they did. It was a great win
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:53 pm

dbrown4 wrote:Here's all I want to see before things come to an end in the bubble.  I just want to see 4 straight up Celtic basketball quarters played by this team.  That's all.  I'd prefer it to be in G7 because that implies we won G6, but I'll take a G6 complete game and even losing G7 at this point if that's all we can muster.  If MIA was meant to beat us, it doesn't matter.  Just give me one complete game.    

The zone you pretty much have to come out of when a team figures it out.  And guess what?  MIA did and the one-on-one fouls kept pouring in as we just kept running down the middle toward the basket on offense.  Amazing, isn't it?  Have we really figured it out?  We'll see tomorrow.  And another thing, we kept the lead this time.  Amazing, isn't it?

db

I am going to hold off on saying we figured out their zone. It is hard to play zone when you aren't getting buckets - hard to get back and get set. And Miami stopped making buckets. Boy did they stop making buckets. I don't know how much of that was due to better defense on our part and how much was just poor offense on their part. Regardless, it sure seemed like all the luck Miami has been getting throughout this series (and the whole playoffs really) suddenly deserted them. We got hot when they got cold. Both teams will regress to the mean, so I am resisting my impulse to believe that something finally clicked with the Celtics and they will continue this way for the ret of the series. I hope that impulse is correct though...

Miami won't always shoot this poorly. And when they start making shots again, we will see that zone again. That zone is tough because Miami closes out so quickly - as quickly as I've seen. Celtics will need to make quicker decisions to shoot before the close out comes.

Theis with a gem of a game for sure. But let's give Enes the Menace a little love - when he is in, he gets buckets and boards. Overall, a great job from the 5 for us.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:07 pm

The Celltics played jittery early. They calmed down after halftime. I believe it is as simple as that. Stevens actually showed some emotion and squawked at the refs a few times. I think that is necessary. The squeaky wheel etc. I have no idea whatsoever what's going to happen in game six. I expect both teams will play their hearts out and am hopeful that some of the Heat's confidence shooting from distance will continue to fade. Attacking the basket after opponent's misses is always easier than trying to penetrate a set defense as we did in game 4. Defensive stops are , obviously, impperative.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:01 pm

Hi,
Great win! Hope Celtics will continue in the same manner.
Now, can anybody explain to me this phenomena (couldn't find a better word): when Celtics loose in this series they loose by a bucket or two, when they win with authority, without any but, if or maybe. Why?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:10 am

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:33 am

Love that breakdown Bob.

Heat will likely have Bam staying inside more this game, I would think. we may see more open shots at the high post for Theis in that case.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:36 am

I believe the Heat are VERY tired.  They have had to expend a RIDICULOUS amount of energy just to beat us by a max of 6 points.  

Let's face it.  We've literally half-assed it the whole series, played like high schoolers at times not being able to figure out a zone and have been in EVERY game with a chance to win in the last minute.

Let's see what happens tonight but our efforts needed to win the next two games may be far below what one would imagine.  We could actually less than half-ass it tonight and win by 15-20.  Boston should be as fresh as daisies.  

Like I've said, all I want to see is 8 quarters of all out Celtic Bball.  If we come up short, the league needs to see what's coming.  I want the Heat and the league to witness the awesome firepower of a fully armed and operational Death Star gone supernova.  i.e. if we're going out, go out in a blaze of glory because next year is coming...and the year after that...and the year after that and no team will have ANY answer for Boston.

Either MIA comes out and plays like they did in their three wins or we force a G7 and the Heat house of cards implodes on itself.  If the Heat are as worn out as I think they are, I would not be surprised if these next two games are steam rolls.   

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:29 am

Dbrown are you basing Miami is tired on your eye test?

We went thru 7 games last series, they did not. Maybe it’s true I don’t know? Seems we just played harder, more desperate last game in 2nd half.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:19 pm

Fatigue is about stamina.  Which teams has the best energy guys that are capable of playing with a high level of energy over an extended period of time?  The Celtics have played more games without GH.  They have played in a 7 game series.  Maybe the Heat looked tired but I think it is simply a reflection of Boston playing with more energy because they have more stamina.  But it is also mental in that you have to limit your mental errors especially when it comes to turnovers.

It is really a mindset.  The best measurement is how they go about winning the possession of the ball.  The 50/50 plays tells the story.  That is how we win.  That is the reason why we won game 7 against the Raptors.  And if we can get to a game 7 again and win, the final outcome will be determined by our energy which if mental first and physical second.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:16 pm

THEY WILL WIN TONIGHT!!!! HANG ME IF I AM WRONG! DELETE ME IF YOU WISH!! THEY WILL WIN.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:46 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:THEY WILL WIN TONIGHT!!!! HANG ME IF I AM WRONG! DELETE ME IF YOU WISH!!  THEY WILL WIN.

I'm with you. I expect a Celtics - Lakers final.

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:19 pm

cowens/oldschool,

My eye test is either the bricks on their 3's by MIA or they begin front rimming them.  Their 3's have disappeared since G1.  They ain't coming back.  Not tonight.  Not in G7.

My eye test tonight is at what point in the game will MIA start front rimming/bricking their 3's.  G5 it was at the start of the 3rd.  If we can back that up into the 2nd quarter and have a sizable lead going into the 3rd, then the MIA house of cards will begin to implode exponentially.  Now, we're going to have to ram it down their throats in the lane for those first two quarters to bust up the zone that's coming tonight but that will do it.  Fouls will rack up, Spo will lose his $hit and be ejected, Pat Reilly will cut his hand breaking through the Plexiglas, etc.  

You would think the Celtics would be exhausted.  But even sans OG, they are not winded.  Now that he's back it's like having 3 more veterans show up to play.  

Rosalie, (from worcester) I've just handed my pinball crown to you!  You are the ultimate Celtic cheerleader!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:55 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:THEY WILL WIN TONIGHT!!!! HANG ME IF I AM WRONG! DELETE ME IF YOU WISH!!  THEY WILL WIN.
                  I'm not as cofident as you, but love your spirit
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down