Rest in Peace

3 posters

Go down

Rest in Peace Empty Rest in Peace

Post by bobheckler Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:17 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2020/11/former-boston-celtics-terry-duerod-who-taught-larry-bird-the-step-back-move-dies-at-64.html

Former Boston Celtics guard Terry Duerod, who taught Larry Bird the step-back move, dies at 64

Updated 4:03 PM; Today 3:30 PM

Terry Duerod, right, talks to M. L. Carr on the Boston Celtics bench Friday night, Dec. 5, 1980 in Boston during a game against Dallas. Duerod, a guard, was signed to a 10-day contract Friday, at the same time that Carr was placed on the injured list. Carr is recovering from a Oct. 25th foot surgery. (AP Photo)

By John Karalis | JKaralis@masslive.com

Terry Duerod, whose brief NBA career was highlighted by being a part of the 1981 champion Boston Celtics, died today at the age of 64 due to complications of leukemia.

Duerod spent just four seasons in the NBA playing for the Celtics, Pistons, Mavericks, and Warriors, but he was a Detroit basketball legend. The Highland Park, Michigan native won a state championship in high school and went to Detroit Mercy college, where he was coached by Dick Vitale. Duerod scored 1690 points in his college career, and averaged 23.3 per game in his senior year and becoming an All-American.

Deurod’s career was short, but he made a big contribution in his time in Boston. Larry Bird has recalled on many occasions how he watched Duerod in practice and learned his signature move.

"I got the step-back from Terry Duerod‚'’ Bird said in an NBA TV conversation with Kevin McHale “Remember in practice when he used to do double step-backs? I thought, ‘Man, that works.’”

It worked plenty for Bird, who employed it often to get himself just enough space he needed to drop a deadly jumper.

In an interview with Boston.com, McHale recalled Duerod as a great influence on the team.

“Terry Duerod, you say that name and maybe it means nothing to some people. To Larry and I, Doo is one of those guys you played with along the way who is always in your mind, a great teammate and guy who we learned something from,” McHale said. He’d play one on one with you all the time. He’d be hilarious. If he ever beat you, the next few days were miserable. He couldn’t remind you enough. It was just one of those things, one of those shared experiences that may not mean anything to other people, but to us, those are the people and experiences that made us the players and people we were."

Duerod was able to win a championship with the Celtics, helping raise Banner 14 in 1981. In an interview author Michael McClellan, Duerod said being on that team was a “a very positive situation" after joining the Celtics from Dallas. Fans took to him immediately, yelling “DOOOOO” when he took the court.

“Best fans in the world. Period,” he told McClellan. “They treat the players great, and support the team no matter what the record is It was a super experience for me to play in front of them!”

Duerod spent 27 years as a Detroit firefighter after his playing days ended. According to the Detroit News, he quietly battled leukemia for seven months before entering hospice care a week ago.

Bob
MY NOTE: A very tough week for Celtic fans.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Rest in Peace Empty Re: Rest in Peace

Post by dboss Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:38 pm

Sorry to hear that. It is easy to forget about all the players that worn the green.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:16 am

Another loss....2020 cannot end soon enough for me. Too much sadness
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content