Thompson Strives to Be the Marcus Smart of Boston's Frontcourt

5 posters

Go down

Thompson Strives to Be the Marcus Smart of Boston's Frontcourt Empty Thompson Strives to Be the Marcus Smart of Boston's Frontcourt

Post by bobheckler Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:34 am

https://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/prac-120320-thompson-strives-marcus-smart-bostons-frontcourt

Thompson Strives to Be the Marcus Smart of Boston's Frontcourt Smartthompson

Thompson Strives to Be the Marcus Smart of Boston's Frontcourt

By Taylor Snow |  @taylorcsnow
Celtics.com
December 3, 2020

BOSTON – If you’re a fan of what Marcus Smart has brought to Boston Celtics over the last six seasons, then trust us when we say that you are about to become a fan of his new teammate, Tristan Thompson.

Energetic, fearless, communicative, physical, and tenacious, Thompson brings the same intangible qualities to the court as Smart. The main difference is that Thompson is a 6-foot-9, 254-pound version of Boston’s beloved All-Defensive First-Team guard.

During his introductory press conference Thursday morning, Thompson touched upon Smart’s toughness and passion, making it clear that he wants to provide the exact same type of energy for the Celtics whenever he’s on the court.

“I think Smart is a bulldog and has done a great job since he has come here on Day 1 of not backing down against anyone,” said the 29-year-old center. “I think he's done that awesomely at the guard position, and I think for me, at the big position, it's bringing that same energy.”

The Celtics are familiar with how impactful Thompson’s energy can be, having faced off against him and the Cleveland Cavaliers in several big games over the last nine seasons. He was always a frontcourt nightmare to deal with, but that will no longer be an issue now that he can impose his will in Boston’s favor.

“Playing against (the Celtics), you guys saw me enough to see how I play, and I'm going to play the exact same way,” said Thompson, who has averaged a double-double in points and rebounds during each of the last two seasons. “When I was a Cleveland Cavalier, playing against you guys in the regular season or postseason, I'm going to bring the same grittiness and toughness.”

Such grit and toughness will come particularly in handy when facing off against elite bigs, such as Miami center Bam Adebayo, who played a major role in eliminating Boston from the 2020 Eastern Conference Finals.

“You saw it in the Miami series, the bigs were playing at a high level and playing well,” said Thompson. “So for me, [my job is] to come in there and slow those guys down and make it tough for them.”

Smart often took that job upon himself, despite often facing a massive height disadvantage, which would sometimes wear him down physically. Adding Thompson will help to alleviate much of that pressure off of Smart’s shoulders.

“It allows me not to guard so many of those bigger guys where I exert so much energy battling with those guys, and I can battle more with those guards and really conserve that energy on that end,” Smart said. “But definitely, having somebody like Tristan who comes in and brings that energy, who really, really makes your team better and is very good at what he does and doesn’t back down from anybody – so you have another player like that, you have another player like me, who has that same intensity and that competitive nature.”

After speaking with coach Brad Stevens, Thompson understands exactly how the Celtics want him to utilize such intensity. Fortunately for him, he won’t have to change much, if anything at all, in his approach.

“I think my energy is going to ignite the team, and that's what he was saying to me,” the 2016 NBA champion said of his conversation with Stevens. “That I’ve gotta be the motor that jump-starts the team to get going. I've always had that role and I've been like that since day one. So coming in, I want to play harder than the bigs that I'm going against. Whoever I'm playing against, play harder than them and that's contagious.

“I think that everyone around the league knows how valuable that is. Just being myself, I think that's worked out pretty well for me, and I think for this ball club, it can help them a lot.”

Having a frontcourt version of Smart should certainly provide this Celtics team plenty of help.

Bob
MY NOTE:  If he just does for us what he did to us over the past 8-9 years in Cleveland I'll be very happy.  A "second Marcus Smart"?  That might be asking for a bit much but I sure would be loving it.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Thompson Strives to Be the Marcus Smart of Boston's Frontcourt Empty Re: Thompson Strives to Be the Marcus Smart of Boston's Frontcourt

Post by wideclyde Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:39 am

If Thompson can do anything close to what Marcus Smart does for the Cs he will clearly be worth every penny of his salary.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Thompson Strives to Be the Marcus Smart of Boston's Frontcourt Empty Re: Thompson Strives to Be the Marcus Smart of Boston's Frontcourt

Post by gyso Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:31 am

Look, they're holding hands!! LOL Not exactly, but now they can spread their own brand of mayhem on other teams!!

Thompson Strives to Be the Marcus Smart of Boston's Frontcourt Smart_10

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:02 am

Always loved his game from afar and the rebounding/dirty work component we have needed for years. We add multiple options of going to big line ups with him in the mix. Smart Brown Tatum TT RWill let’s see that for some defense....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:10 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:Always loved his game from afar and the rebounding/dirty work component we have needed for years. We add multiple options of going to big line ups with him in the mix. Smart Brown Tatum TT RWill let’s see that for some defense....

Cow,

Only 2 scorers, and this is a scorer's league now.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:17 am

bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:Always loved his game from afar and the rebounding/dirty work component we have needed for years. We add multiple options of going to big line ups with him in the mix. Smart Brown Tatum TT RWill let’s see that for some defense....

Cow,

Only 2 scorers, and this is a scorer's league now.

Bob

Smart can make the right play and shoot/score some, I’m expecting RWill to make a leap and glad we have 2 all NBA type wings so young and talented....you still need stops and rebounds, how many times did we struggle rebounding the ball last year? Can easily add in Kemba and hopefully PP for more shooting at point.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:12 am

The Celtics will be a better defensive team than they were last year.

TT framed it perfectly for us. One or two possessions and you win the game. How many times have we barely loss?

TT and MS are hard nosed and mentality tough players. The Celtics have not been a top 4 team because of their offense. No fear here.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:30 pm

dboss wrote:The Celtics will be a better defensive team than they were last year.

TT framed it perfectly for us.  One or two possessions and you win the game.  How many times have we barely loss?

TT and MS are hard nosed and mentality tough players.  The Celtics have not been a top 4 team because of their offense.  No fear here.

Exactly again a night in night out double digit rebounder is essential IMHO and RWill has to stay healthy and get 12 minutes or more each game, if we can’t develop this kid shame on management....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:08 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
dboss wrote:The Celtics will be a better defensive team than they were last year.

TT framed it perfectly for us.  One or two possessions and you win the game.  How many times have we barely loss?

TT and MS are hard nosed and mentality tough players.  The Celtics have not been a top 4 team because of their offense.  No fear here.

Exactly again a night in night out double digit rebounder is essential IMHO and RWill has to stay healthy and get 12 minutes or more each game, if we can’t develop this kid shame on management....

TT is on board for 2 years and DT may be gone after this year. RW will need to step up. Grant Williams should be able to find his minutes at PF with improved shooting. Playing Grant at center is the dumbest thing that Brad has done. The issue is that you have to play a guy at a position for a while . You cannot play grant 4 minutes per game at PF and expect a whole lot. I figure with JT playing maybe 34-35 MPG split between SF and PF, there are solid rotation minutes available at PF. A three man center rotation of TT, DT and RW will work better. TT is not Kanter.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:16 am

Agreed there will be more minutes at SF for Tatum with GH gone, we can play JB-JT at the 3-4, 4-3 and 2-3, so we should have a lot of good combinations of the 2 J’s with other players playing off them....want more post ups/bully ball for Jaylen. He was wasted a lot last year, too many possessions standing in the corner and he still avg 20 points a game.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down