+3
Sam
tjmakz
dbrown4
7 posters

Go down

Rondo and Worlds Exit Empty Rondo and Worlds Exit

Post by dbrown4 Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:45 am

Well, it appears the press is cracking down again on guards that don't have a consistent mid-range jumper and can't make free throws.

I'm a little surprised at Coach K on this one, even though he didn't "cut" Rondo and he knows infinitely more about international basketball than I do and what works. I hope Rondo will take it in stride and not let it affect his season coming up in any way.

True, we've discussed ad nauseum his free throws and mid-range game or lack there of. I still think of Rondo as a NorthWest Quardrant kind of player. Where can I get the greatest reward for the least risk? Dazzling fake passes combined with unexpected, unpredictable moves resulting in open lanes and lay-ups. For as many times as he is in the lane, he certainly doesn't trek to the free throw line as much as LeBron does for And 1's.

That's why I'm always amazed with his 3D's. It never seems like he did all that in a game when you look back because the Celtics always play team ball. Now he does take some hits that look really painful. But he's right back in the lane on the next play.

Is anybody watching the USA Team? I have to say I have not been watching, but I guess the real action starts soon. Now that Rondo is gone, I probably won't watch it, sorry to say.

I'm glad Rondo cut his perceived loses. Always the risk of injury. This season coming up is huge. While playing would have helped, I'm not seeing the ultimate benefit(s) for Rondo at this time.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Rondo and Worlds Exit Empty Re: Rondo and Worlds Exit

Post by tjmakz Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:50 am

dbrown,

Besides Rondo's lack of a consistent outside game, another reason for Rondo's exit was that the referees are constantly calling traveling calls that aren't traveling in the NBA, NCAA or anywhere in the US.
They want it to be a shoot out and less of pg's breaking down the defense by dribble penetration.

I agree that this is no big loss for Rondo. Staying healthy and fresh is the key. Everyone knows that Rondo was one of the best 5 players on that team. It is just a very different game that is called different then the NBA is called.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:09 pm

With the possible exception of the Olympics (which I believe are off by themselves as an event of import), I've never wanted Celtics to play in these glorified exhibitions. If players are going to risk injury, I'd rather it would be during Celtics' games.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:05 pm

dbrown, i'm with you. Rondo's exit makes it waaaaay less likely that i'll spend any time watching those games.

TJ's point about the officiating being different internationally, in particular the traveling calls, helps me understand something behind the scenes i would not have picked up on my own ... thx, TJ !

Michael
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon$$ Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:00 am

Sam I agree. Apart of me just doesn't feel good when i hear about Celtic players participating in international ball during the NBA offseason. It's great that they want to compete for a gold medal but I'm glad Rondos out now and can rest up for what will be a huge huge season.
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:28 am

I have to agree. The stakes for this season and post season for Boston are off the charts given the Miami Situation. EVen more so than last season. Same can be said for the Lakers. Kobe's go a lot of miles on him as well, Phil is hanging on by a thread with his back, although it looks like they are preparing for old age All Stars better than the Celtics.

I'm still pissed we came up just 4 points short!! It's going to be fun watching Miami implode. My vision is split...Pursuit of Banner 18 and Miami's ultimate demise!!

Less than 2 months away, everyone!! BTW, when do the lame pre-season games begin?
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:34 am

Maybe this will put More of a chip on Rondo's shoulder than he already has, and spend time improving his shot and free throw shooting. To me, that was what he should have been doing all summer long. Rondo is a unique talent, one that any team would love to have. Just remember, J.Kidd wasn't the greatest shooter when he came into the league, he was just a great point guard. Rondo should be aiming to make all of those people who said he can't shoot regret the day they dared him. This kid usually takes things very personally!

Personally, I am glad he is out of there. One good blown out knee and he is a different ball player.

Now, the question I have is: Is Danny really considering hiring D.West? Rumor has it he was spotted in the airport here in Boston. Why else would
he be here than to work out for the Celts? Please tell me no. We don't need someone who is ready to implode on the team. Let the other teams have him. I know he is good, but..........?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:03 pm

Rondo should spend the next few months working on his free throw shooting, lifting weights and getting himself mentally ready for the upcoming season.

This has to be an exciting year for any point guard that loves to pass the ball. He'll have 2 new weapons that both know how to finish around the rim. I would not be surprised to see his scoring take a dip and his assists to go up.

D West never seemed to have any problems when he was with Boston, but things obviously came apart for him in Cleveland. He would hardly be a BU for PP and therefore his presence would only take minutes away from Rondo and Nate, Daniels and Bradley and Wafer.

My guess is that DA will be looking for a true 3 to complete the roster.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down