RosalieTCeltics
cowens/oldschool
Berlin-T
jrleftfoot
bobheckler
12 posters

Go down

Should the Celtics Give Up on Romeo?

Should the Celtics Give Up on Romeo? Vote_lcap7%Should the Celtics Give Up on Romeo? Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 1 ]
Should the Celtics Give Up on Romeo? Vote_lcap64%Should the Celtics Give Up on Romeo? Vote_rcap 64% 
[ 9 ]
Should the Celtics Give Up on Romeo? Vote_lcap29%Should the Celtics Give Up on Romeo? Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 4 ]
Should the Celtics Give Up on Romeo? Vote_lcap0%Should the Celtics Give Up on Romeo? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 14

Should the Celtics Give Up on Romeo? Empty Should the Celtics Give Up on Romeo?

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:02 am

Fleeting glimpses of his potential, always seemingly ending with injury.   He missed the SL Championship Game because his wrist was sore.

Is it time to move on and move him or is this a rush to judgment?

No multiple choice  but you can cancel your vote if you change your mind.  Explain your choices.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Should the Celtics Give Up on Romeo? Empty Re: Should the Celtics Give Up on Romeo?

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:06 am

Why give up on a guy with potential when we have several with none
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Should the Celtics Give Up on Romeo? Empty Re: Should the Celtics Give Up on Romeo?

Post by Berlin-T Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:53 am

Injuries over and over again. I voted not yet but,----
I really like the guy - he has some talent - but one can't wait forever.

Berlin-T
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:16 am

This an obvious make or break year for him.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:55 am

This is it for him and as far as I am concerned, the same with Robert Williams and Grant Williams. I like them all but that does not mean they should be on the team taking up space
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:42 am

I still hold out hope for him.  I voted "No, let's give him this year at least to prove himself."

Unfortunately, if he doesn't "prove himself", no other team will want to trade for him, when and if we make a package trade for that ever-elusive third star before the deadline.  Other teams will want the best of our youth movement and we'll be "stuck" with him.

Instead of Langford, they'll want RWill, Nesmith or Prichard.  

It's a double-edged sword, wanting a young guy (or guys) to develop while the team is building toward contention.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:58 am

A little more information about Romeo:

He is making $3.8M this year.  Next year he has a TEAM OPTION for $5.6M and then, in the 2023-2024 season, he is a  Restricted Free Agent, which means Brad can match any offer for him and will, of course, have full Bird Rights.  There is a Qualifying Offer of $7.8M that is the minimum starting point for retaining the team's RFA control in 2023-2024.  

So, barring a trade, Romeo is a Celtic for this year for sure and the next two years if we want him.  We could, also, not pick up his option next year and he could be done then.  That makes him an expiring contract this year, $3.8M worth of expiring contract, or it gives the acquiring team a chance to retain him for another year for $5.6M. They would get our Bird Rights and would be able to match offers the year after that too. Any GM who likes Romeo could look at 3 more years under contract, at least 2 of them at known, and fairly reasonable, prices.  

I don't know if this info changes anybody's vote, but if it does, vote cancelling is permitted.  You can cancel and then revote.  Just add a narrative explaining why you changed.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:36 am

He was out for one meaningless game because of a sore wrist. If it was the wrist he just had surgery on late last year then my guess would be that he was held out out of an abundance of caution.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:16 pm

I took door # 2  No, let's give him this year at least to prove himself.

As long as some idiot does not reimagine him as a PG, I'm good with another year and hopefully, fewer trips to the infirmary ward.

His shot at least looks serviceable and he should be able to play a little defense.

His trade value could become more attractive in a pkg deal with quantifiable improvement on his part.

If Boston does go after some big money player, RL will be superglued to the trade offer that Brad puts together.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:24 pm

dboss wrote:I took door # 2  No, let's give him this year at least to prove himself.

As long as some idiot does not reimagine him as a PG, I'm good with another year and hopefully, fewer trips to the infirmary ward.

His shot at least looks serviceable and he should be able to play a little defense.

His trade value could become more attractive in a pkg deal with quantifiable improvement on his part.

If Boston does go after some big money player, RL will be superglued to the trade offer that Brad puts together.

"play a little defense"? I thought defense was why he was getting minutes when his shot was suspect.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by Vankisa Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:21 pm

atcross wrote:He was out for one meaningless game because of a sore wrist. If it was the wrist he just had surgery on late last year then my guess would be that he was held out out of an abundance of caution.

I think the question is valid without considering that game to be honest Smile

I also voted to wait, but if he has not played most of his games by trade deadline, perhaps it is time. He is no Embiid to wait on for 3 full seasons.

I really hope this is his year though, he has talent.

Vankisa

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:16 pm

Romeo is like a company considering becoming an IPO. It has to generate revenues to warrant a healthy net worth evaluation. Going straight to an IPO without establishing a positive financial track record means the initial stock offering price will founder, and you can't get two first bites of that apple. Better to give Langford a chance to shine. Then he'll be an asset to keep or sell.
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:08 pm

I gave up on him the night he was drafted.

However…

I voted give him a season. He’s here and we need a bench. Besides, who else can we get to replace him at a low cost? He’s a body for practices and may eventually have some value as an expiring contract.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:56 pm

https://www.celticsblog.com/2021/8/19/22626391/romeo-langford-people-question-love-for-game-passion-which-dumb-celtics-boston-summer-league-vegas

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:47 am

worcester wrote:Romeo is like a company considering becoming an IPO. It has to generate revenues to warrant a healthy net worth evaluation. Going straight to an IPO without establishing a positive financial track record means the initial stock offering price will founder, and you can't get two first bites of that apple. Better to give Langford a chance to shine. Then he'll be an asset to keep or sell.

Exactly +1

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:07 am

Vankisa wrote:
atcross wrote:He was out for one meaningless game because of a sore wrist. If it was the wrist he just had surgery on late last year then my guess would be that he was held out out of an abundance of caution.

I also voted to wait, but if he has not played most of his games by trade deadline, perhaps it is time. He is no Embiid to wait on for 3 full seasons.

The thing that scares me is he never shows enough of his talent extended, just little flashes here and there. Nesmith had a coming out party type of game with 33 points in 21 minutes. In other games he was close to 20 played well, but didn’t take enough shots. Romeo has still never had a coming out I’m here type of game ever and against these players in SL that will never get to the big league, he should have….if he could put up some big numbers do it, wtf you waiting for….then he doesn’t step on the floor in a championship game, any competitor should want to step on that floor. With so many rookies playing hard and putting up 20 plus points or more, didn’t see near enough from Romeo. I’m glad we got Josh Richardson, that guy always plays hard and will compete. Until proven otherwise, I’m questioning Romeo’s heart and commitment to being a good/great player, he’s never shown that ever….

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Vankisa Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:26 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
Vankisa wrote:

The thing that scares me is he never shows enough of his talent extended, just little flashes here and there. Nesmith had a coming out party type of game with 33 points in 21 minutes. In other games he was close to 20 played well, but didn’t take enough shots. Romeo has still never had a coming out I’m here type of game ever and against these players in SL that will never get to the big league, he should have….if he could put up some big numbers do it, wtf you waiting for….then he doesn’t step on the floor in a championship game, any competitor should want to step on that floor. With so many rookies playing hard and putting up 20 plus points or more, didn’t see near enough from Romeo. I’m glad we got Josh Richardson, that guy always plays hard and will compete. Until proven otherwise, I’m questioning Romeo’s heart and commitment to being a good/great player, he’s never shown that ever….

I think we might just have to lower our expectations with Romeo - I do not really expect him to become a great player anymore. I just hope he can become a solid defender with good enough shot and cutting ability to be a good rotational piece. Not unlike J. Crowder, but hopefully sooner in his career as he has better starting talent than Crowder imo.

Vankisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:57 pm

I’m not fully confident that he is a keeper but may become a throw in at the very least. I vote give him another year and if he shows very little improvement or doesn’t fall out of love with going to Urgent Care, then the team should go ahead and admit their mistake and get him the hell out of here.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:11 pm

atcross wrote:
dboss wrote:I took door # 2  No, let's give him this year at least to prove himself.

"play a little defense"? I thought defense was why he was getting minutes when his shot was suspect.

Atcross

Not to be cynical but I completely trashed the 2019 NBA draft.  

Everybody who was posting 2 years ago knows I did not like ANY of our draft picks.  But I also took the position of wait and see.  Unfortunately we are still on the wait and see list for Romeo to live up to being a lottery pick.

Some people are disappointed with Romeo Langford.  I am not one of those people.

My expectation were never significant so I have no reason to be disappointed. Thus, having a serviceable shot and playing a little defense is the least I would expect out of him this coming season.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:40 pm

That draft really sucked, the one piece that show showed some athleticism the few times he got on the floor can’t even stay healthy fully for SL. You see how many freak athletes there are in this rookie class? Guess we just have to put it behind us and be thankful for some of the other good young pieces we have….and hope we gell this year.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:49 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:That draft really sucked, the one piece that show showed some athleticism the few times he got on the floor can’t even stay healthy fully for SL. You see how many freak athletes there are in this rookie class? Guess we just have to put it behind us and be thankful for some of the other good young pieces we have….and hope we gell this year.

Cow

The quantity and quality of players this good is unreal. A deep pool of freak athletes. It will be interested to revisit the 2021 draft and see how these prospects turn out.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:19 pm

dboss wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:That draft really sucked, the one piece that show showed some athleticism the few times he got on the floor can’t even stay healthy fully for SL. You see how many freak athletes there are in this rookie class? Guess we just have to put it behind us and be thankful for some of the other good young pieces we have….and hope we gell this year.

Cow

The quantity and quality of players this good is unreal.  A deep pool of freak athletes.  It will be interested to revisit the 2021 draft and see how these prospects turn out.  

My son follows the draft a lot more than me, he was giving me the scoop on a lot of these kids, there’s like 6-8 players in the top 12 that have star written all over them, are freak athletes and oz confidence and in another draft would have been a top 5 pick, but fell. A player I would have loved to draft at 16 was Jalen Johnson, who your Hawks got at 20. Never saw this kid before, but his head was practically even with the rim on dunks and he was scoring with bully ball in SL at will. He is gonna be a problem and he fell all the way to 20…???

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down