Celtics center Enes Kanter tries new sports, talks on his veganism

+2
worcester
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Celtics center Enes Kanter tries new sports, talks on his veganism Empty Celtics center Enes Kanter tries new sports, talks on his veganism

Post by bobheckler Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:50 am

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/watch-celtics-center-enes-kanter-090015252.html

Celtics center Enes Kanter tries new sports, talks on his veganism

Justin Quinn
Fri, August 20, 2021, 4:00 AM

Boston Celtics veteran big man Enes Kanter has rejoined the team he was traded away from at the end of the 2019-20 season, and his ties to his former teammates remains strong. The popular locker-room presence continues to maintain a high profile on a number of issues he spoke extensively about in his last stint with the team, ranging from the political oppression taking place in his native Turkey to his decision to go vegan.

And if you’re interested in catching up on what the Zurich native has to say about those causes while taking a day off, check out this clip produced by the folks over at Whistle’s appropriately titled “No Days Off” series.

You can even watch him try his hand at some non-basketball recreational activities with limited success in line with the theme of the series — good thing he’s pretty solid at pulling down rebounds.

Bob
MY NOTE:  I cannot understand how dedicated athletes in general, professional athletes in particular, can be vegan.  Their need for protein is so high because of the daily wear-and-tear on their muscles (if they aren't playing in games they're in the gym working out) I can't wrap my mind around how many legumes they need to eat to meet (meat?) those needs.  Kyrie is a vegan, and he still plays at a high level.  Jaylen Brown has said that if it wasn't for ice cream (which he apparently cannot/will not give up) he'd be vegan too.  As it is he's vegetarian.  I look at players like Bill Walton, who was a vegetarian before being a vegetarian was cool, and I'm amazed at how he did it (his chronic foot injuries had nothing to do with protein or lack of it).  Obviously there's stuff I don't understand, because they are vegetarians/vegans and are still competing, but damn!  Worcester's probably the closest thing we have to a nutritionist on this board and he isn't one.  It's just an adjunct to his profession.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics center Enes Kanter tries new sports, talks on his veganism Empty Re: Celtics center Enes Kanter tries new sports, talks on his veganism

Post by worcester Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:22 pm

I was an absolute complete vegan for 7 years, ages 23-30. Nothing from any type of animal. No meat, fish, eggs, dairy...nothing. I was thinner and worked hard, living as a wheat farmer in Saskatchewan. Built two homes without power tools. I got my essential amino acids to form human proteins by combining grains, beans, and vegetables. However I did suffer from Vitamin B-12 and iron deficiency anemia. A big benefit of being vegan is usually one is eating fewer highly processed foods that way.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK557845/

I am no longer a vegan, however more plant based foods are better than fewer. Also very important is the % of highly processed foods in the American diet. I recently read that 67% of American calories come from highly processed foods. A 2016 study said 60%.

Here's an article by the American Heart Association about processed foods and another by my good friend Dr. Jonn Desnoes about FrankenFoods.

https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-living/healthy-eating/eat-smart/nutrition-basics/processed-foods

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.scribd.com_document-5Fdownloads_direct_221837321-3Fextension-3Dpdf-26ft-3D1613161225&d=DwIFAg&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=c7oKnn2LbZhWEcgOurDD_dQNXJCetW6r7F0Ee22bOlA&m=YrBxPujaVYiE3eA6fBGFqFzOb2wvF6TrNo4MLt6-NpY&s=siq8qTkAN3mPBVyep4mt5saQmIXEDnO5DW3ROMckSqs&e=<=1613164835&user_id=521042365&uahk=x3EtQ2iLSLohpFAf-wOwy-UjhOI

worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Celtics center Enes Kanter tries new sports, talks on his veganism Empty Re: Celtics center Enes Kanter tries new sports, talks on his veganism

Post by Shamrock1000 Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:32 pm

worcester wrote:I was an absolute complete vegan for 7 years, ages 23-30. Nothing from any type of animal. No meat, fish, eggs, dairy...nothing. I was thinner and worked hard, living as a wheat farmer in Saskatchewan. Built two homes without power tools. I got my essential amino acids to form human proteins by combining grains, beans, and vegetables. However I did suffer from Vitamin B-12 and iron deficiency anemia. A big benefit of being vegan is usually one is eating fewer highly processed foods that way.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK557845/

I am no longer a vegan, however more plant based foods are better than fewer. Also very important is the % of highly processed foods in the American diet. I recently read that 67% of American calories come from highly processed foods. A 2016 study said 60%.

Here's an article by the American Heart Association about processed foods and another by my good friend Dr. Jonn Desnoes about FrankenFoods.

https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-living/healthy-eating/eat-smart/nutrition-basics/processed-foods

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.scribd.com_document-5Fdownloads_direct_221837321-3Fextension-3Dpdf-26ft-3D1613161225&d=DwIFAg&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=c7oKnn2LbZhWEcgOurDD_dQNXJCetW6r7F0Ee22bOlA&m=YrBxPujaVYiE3eA6fBGFqFzOb2wvF6TrNo4MLt6-NpY&s=siq8qTkAN3mPBVyep4mt5saQmIXEDnO5DW3ROMckSqs&e=<=1613164835&user_id=521042365&uahk=x3EtQ2iLSLohpFAf-wOwy-UjhOI

I have nothing against veganism, and actually admire people doing it for ethical/humane reasons. One thing that will be interesting is the development of plant-based "meats". A lot of these are still terrible, but some are quite good. However, whether good tasting or not, plant-based chicken/beef/etc is as processed as white bread and bologna.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:46 pm

Shamrock, one problem with plant based meat substitutes is that they are too high in estrogen creating elements. Not so good for men.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:52 pm

worcester wrote:Shamrock, one problem with plant based meat substitutes is that they are too high in estrogen creating elements. Not so good for men.

True - plants are remarkable little chemical-producing factories, and phyto-estrogens are abundant in many plants.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:13 pm

Sorry, i just find it difficult to understand people who make a decision to not eat bacon.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:24 pm

Matty wrote:Sorry, i just find it difficult to understand people who make a decision to not eat bacon.

And it has to be real bacon, not that crappy turkey not-bacon. Yuk.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:28 pm

gyso wrote:
Matty wrote:Sorry, i just find it difficult to understand people who make a decision to not eat bacon.

And it has to be real bacon, not that crappy turkey not-bacon.  Yuk.

Exactly. and preferably apple wood smoked, thick cut and cooked in the greatest bacon cooking item on earth, my great grandmothers cast iron skillet, which happens every sunday at my house. (that skillet was old when my mom watched her grandmother cook in it and moms 70).

Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:07 pm

Matty wrote:
gyso wrote:

And it has to be real bacon, not that crappy turkey not-bacon.  Yuk.

Exactly. and preferably apple wood smoked, thick cut and cooked in the greatest bacon cooking item on earth, my great grandmothers cast iron skillet, which happens every sunday at my house. (that skillet was old when my mom watched her grandmother cook in it and moms 70).

Pretty much every vegetarian I ever met says bacon is the thing they miss most

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:44 pm

I am gonna google bacon festivals in my area.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:04 pm

My go to breakfast on weekends is bacon and eggs with oatmeal. The oats are so healthy and delicious, so much better than toast or muffins. Feel great always after this meal.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down