NBA Legend Bill Russell Lists His Washington Home of Nearly 50 Years for $2.6M — See Photos

5 posters

Go down

NBA Legend Bill Russell Lists His Washington Home of Nearly 50 Years for $2.6M — See Photos Empty NBA Legend Bill Russell Lists His Washington Home of Nearly 50 Years for $2.6M — See Photos

Post by gyso Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:51 am

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/nba-legend-bill-russell-lists-172255665.html

Vanessa Etienne
Mon, August 23, 2021, 1:22 PM

Bill Russell is saying goodbye to his Washington home after nearly 50 years.

The NBA legend, 87, has listed his $2.6 million home on Washington's Mercer Island with Eddie Chang of Realogics Sotheby's International Realty.

"I was offered the head coaching job with the Sonics in 1974. When I took the job I was a single parent and chose Mercer Island because it had the best schools in the Pacific Northwest," Russell told the Puget Sound Business Journal.

He continued, "The house was not built for me. I was actually looking at the house next door, but it was not private enough. I not only purchased this house but the two lots above me for the added privacy, and a number of years ago sold them but still maintained my privacy here at the house."

Now, Russell and his wife, Jeannine, are downsizing but staying close to the Mercer Island area. "I will miss the privacy, peaceful tranquility, the views of the lake and most of all my hot tub," he said.

The 4,250-square-foot property was built in 1973 and recently renovated to give the mid-century home modern finishes, incorporating several fireplaces, vaulted ceilings, and a private deck. The living space highlights its elevation changes, built-in shelving, and open floor plan.

The house includes four bedrooms, two bathrooms, and two half-baths, boasting a suite that features a fireplace and private deck overlooking the tree-lined landscape. The en suite bathroom has a dual vanity, multi-head shower, skylights, and a hot tub big enough to hold 10 people.

The "epicurean" kitchen has luxe surfaces and appliances surrounded by windows looking at the balcony.

Other spaces in the house include a media room and a recreation room. The home also has a four-car garage. The property covers just under half an acre.

Russell is a five-time NBA Most Valuable Player and a 12-time NBA All-Star, according to his NBA profile. He was a center for the Boston Celtics from 1956 to 1969. During his final three seasons, he also served as the Celtics' head coach, becoming the NBA's first Black head coach.

Additionally, the former athlete is one of only seven players in history to win not only an NCAA Championship and an NBA Championship but also an Olympic gold medal.

Russell told the Journal of his longtime home, "[I] left behind my trophy case and an autographed ball for the next owner, and I hope they enjoy the home as much as I have over the last almost 50 years."

Note: Click on the link to see the pictures. Nice house.

Back to top Go down

NBA Legend Bill Russell Lists His Washington Home of Nearly 50 Years for $2.6M — See Photos Empty Re: NBA Legend Bill Russell Lists His Washington Home of Nearly 50 Years for $2.6M — See Photos

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:58 am

Not too shabby a place, huh?? With this sale, and his memorobilia being sold, Bill is really facing the reality of life. God bless him, he still gets around. It will be interesting to see him at the HOF in September.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

NBA Legend Bill Russell Lists His Washington Home of Nearly 50 Years for $2.6M — See Photos Empty Re: NBA Legend Bill Russell Lists His Washington Home of Nearly 50 Years for $2.6M — See Photos

Post by NYCelt Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:59 pm

$2.6 mil and 4,200 square feet on Mercer Island is going to get you a nice house. That's actually not all that pricey, or that big, when you consider the financial capability of a guy like Russ. You're talking about what in many parts of the country is not all that unattainable for a reasonably well paid professional. Russ has always been fairly reserved and far from showy in any aspect of his life. I would think he could have gone way over the top with a house, but it looks like he exercised some restraint here too.

By way of comparison, I believe Paul Pierce sold one of his homes in California for about four times that. I believe the house had more square footage and far more custom finishes too. Just another example of Russ not needing to impress anyone but himself, I think.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:13 pm

When I read about this the other day the first thought that came to mind is that he is preparing not be be here. I read that some of his memorabilia will be included in the sale.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:33 pm

There is an auction of all of Russell’s memorabilia. Money is being donated to the Mentor program he started here in Boston, and the foundation that the Celtics started last year during all of the riots. I read that he is leaving his trophy case and one basketball to the new owners.

Obviously, his family must have agreed to him selling this stuff off, remember, Cousy sold all his stuff to put his grandkids through college. I guess after a while, when you have so much, it loses it’s value to you. Russell was not one for “things” anyway. Frankly, that is a pretty modest house he lives in for the greatest winner ever.

There comes a time in life when I guess you begin to face your mortality. Why not sell it off now and give it to who you want to reap the benefits. Seems like a decent kind thing to do.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:47 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:There is an auction of all of Russell’s memorabilia. Money is being donated to the Mentor program he started here in Boston, and the foundation that the Celtics started last year during all of the riots.  I read that he is leaving his trophy case and one basketball to the new owners.

Obviously, his family must have agreed to him selling this stuff off, remember, Cousy sold all his stuff to put his grandkids through college. I guess after a while, when you have so much, it loses it’s value to you. Russell was not one for “things” anyway.  Frankly, that is a pretty modest house he lives in for the greatest winner ever.  

There comes a time in life when I guess you begin to face your mortality. Why not sell it off now and give it to who you want to reap the benefits.  Seems like a decent kind thing to do.
+1
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:37 am

Russell's record on and off the court speaks for itself. Again, sorry Michael. Step aside. The Greatest Basketball Player of All Time.

db

P.S. The first person that popped into my mind when reading this about Russell's modest house was Warren Buffet.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:05 am

The greatest basketball player I ever watched in my lifetime. I was lucky enough to see him night in and night out when I had season's tickets. Even travelled to Philly to watch him win ECF the year he retired. I have never seen anyone who could run the floor the way he did, block the shot and run down the other end to either pass or score. It was a joy to behold
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down