prakash
10 posters

Go down

POST GAME CHARLOTTE HORNETS Empty POST GAME CHARLOTTE HORNETS

Post by 112288 Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:58 pm

Celtics Wrap: Boston Hands Hornets First Loss In Wild OT Fashion
The Celtics didn't give up Monday

NESN by Patrick McAvoy

The Celtics won in dramatic fashion Monday night.

Boston traveled to Charlotte to take on the Hornets for the the back end of its first back-to-back of the season and took down the Hornets, 140-129 at Spectrum Center thanks to a late push and wild overtime.

The Celtics improved to 2-2 on the season while Charlotte earned its first loss of the year dropping its record to 4-1.

ONE KEY TAKEAWAY
Boston’s offense most certainly made the trip to Charlotte.

After scoring 107 points in their first win of the season Sunday, the Celtics offense erupted for season-high 140 points on the road en route to their second straight win and the back-to-back sweep.

Jayson Tatum led the way once again offensively for Boston finishing the night with a game-high 41 points — including 17 in the second quarter alone — to help the C’s comeback late against Charlotte.

It didn’t look great for the Celtics for much of the second half — even falling down by as much as eight multiple times in the fourth quarter — but the offense kept flowing with Tatum thriving, but Jaylen Brown and Robert Williams III also coming up with huge baskets late. Brown finished the night with 30 points, while Williams III chipped in 12 points and 16 rebounds.

STARS OF THE GAME
— As is the case most games, Tatum was the best player for the Celtics on the floor Monday night. The 23-year-old recorded over 30 points for the second straight game but also chipped in a team-high eight assists for Boston while also providing menacing defense on the other end.

— Brown didn’t miss a step in his return to the lineup after missing Sunday’s bout with the Rockets. The 25-year-old scored over 30 points for the second time this season finishing the night with 30 but was most impressive when the lights shined the brightest. Brown cashed in a three late in regulation to help the Celtics force overtime then scored five points in the extra period to help secure their second straight win.

— LaMelo Ball has been a machine to open the 2021-22 NBA season. The 20-year-old has done it all for Charlotte and padded the stat sheet once again against the Celtics finishing the night with 25 points and a game-high nine assists. Despite the loss, Ball also was massive for the Hornets in overtime with five points.

WAGER WATCH
The offense was flowing early and often at Spectrum Center. The over/under for the Eastern Conference clash was set at 236.5 with an over bet holding outs at -110 and the two teams combined to blow that number out handily with 269 points and make you a little scratch.

UP NEXT
The Celtics are off Tuesday, but return to the court Wednesday night as they welcome the Washington Wizards to TD Garden for the first time this season.

Back to top Go down

POST GAME CHARLOTTE HORNETS Empty Re: POST GAME CHARLOTTE HORNETS

Post by 112288 Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:06 pm

Two in a row, wow I cannot take the excitement!

Great job, the team seems to be getting into sync!

The two J's played like significant roles in leading the scoring tonight. I hope Tatum has shed the cobwebs and is now on par to play more consistent basketball.

Say what you want about Schroder, but he is become a key player for the Celtics on both side of the ball.

Williams III another monster rebounding night with 16 while chipping in 12 points!

Keep it going guys!

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:33 pm

A lot to like about the game, especially Tatum breaking out and JB having a great game. What I really liked was the way Ime changed things when the Celts needed a spark in Q4.

I like what Schroder brings to the team. There are a lot of moving parts in the rotation, many things in a flux. Smart's role, 4 position, backup 5, bench scoring, etc. To grit out a win despite all that is a testament to our young stars.

Looking forward to how this season evolves.

Have to say that I like the principles on which the game is being officiated. The added physicality and defense is pleasing to watch.

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:45 pm

prakash

AGREED!

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:52 pm

It was the best of Smart. It was the... We just need to run sets where Marcus is not the kick out. I know he made a bunch of threes a couple years ago. But we need a little consistency. Marcus was Marcus tonight, and arguably won the game. And nearly lost it. He needs to play with Schroder or PP.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:14 pm

Well if Schroder doesn’t get hot there’s no spacing for 2 J’s, hopefully AN and Romeo will get it going soon, because for stretches 2 J’s had to do everything with almost no offensive help. Smarts best role is off the bench, he’s like that annoying friend you love, but can only take him in small dosages….Udoka showed me something, obviously a lot of flawed parts, someone went 1-9 from 3; but he had us playing hard with poise and resolve at the perfect time in 4th and overtime.

Great win, was frustrating thinking RWill wasn’t doing enough, then he came alive. Tatum in mid season form dramatically and Jaylen with the play/dunk of the year and carrying us during crunch time. HoFer Isiah Thomas was gushing about the play over and over on NBA TV.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:32 pm

112288 wrote:prakash

AGREED!

Duh!

I just repeated what you had said in my own words.

Very Happy Very Happy

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:13 am

Great win against an upcoming team no doubt.
I loved JB slamming on Bridges who loves to show boat along with pretty boy Obre. Probably won’t do much to humble them but tonight I’m happy with the results.
Marcus’ D canceled out his ineptness at PG. the 2 J’s are what we thought they were. Rob showed us some nasty and G Will continues to improve. Let’s keep it going.

On the other side of the ledger, (as Johnny Most used to say) Ball is for real. Love his play and he seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

I like Gordon but Im so glad that Hayward no
Longer wears green.
Dude is washed up and if we still had him he’d be lucky to crack the rotation on a nightly basis. And to think he’s the highest paid member on that team. He’s stealing money ( thank u MJ)and needs to begin wearing a ski mask to practice and games.

Mike and Scal- Scal continues to expose his stupidity especially on that flagrant. He.is.the.worst!
Mike has always been my favorite PBP guy in the country but since Tommy has left I’ve noticed some slippage.
It could be because of the hunk of Veal sitting along side him or maybe he’s just getting tired but it’s noticeable and saddens me to an extent.
I still consider him the best to ever do it even with the slippage.
He needs a real personality with him and maybe that will help relight his fire. I’m available…

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:44 am

I watched the 2nd and 3rd quarters.  It was almost 4am and went back to sleep.  Too bad, this looks like it was a classic.  Twitter is saying we were down 10 with 5 minutes left in regulation.  This is why it's good to be Rosalie.  She never gives up on the Celtics.

Re: Game On! Celtics vs. Hornets - October 25, 2021
Post by RosalieTCeltics Yesterday at 8:36 pm

What a game, poor bob went to bed.  Ha, I do not think so I bet he is watching this

Nope, couldn't keep it going (I'm not really much of a night owl anyway), but I did go back and read all of the Game On! posts.   Very Happy

Ime says he doesn't want as much Hero Ball, but if you take even one quarter of the J's combined 48 fgas out of our 101 total we're sunk.  When your two studs, the ones Ime himself described as "our two pillars of the franchise", are a combined 26-48 you give them the ball, step back, and let the Big Dogs eat.

Parker saved our bacon in the 2nd quarter.  He's a Human Bucket and for short stretches where his defense can't be extensively exploited he's our new "in case of emergency, break glass" Gerald Green.

The Hornets were 36-75 after 3, 48%.  They ended up 46-103 for the game.  That means they shot 10-28, 36%, in the 4th quarter and OT.  Some of that might have been them just cooling off and some of it our defense.  As I said I didn't watch the 4th and OT, so I cannot say, although everybody seems to be saying Marcus Smart put his cape on and started locking people down.

Gary Washburn @GwashburnGlobe
yesterday
Marcus Smart said he has been suffering from migraines and vomited this morning but said he decided this afternoon to play. #Celtics

Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
yesterday
Rob Williams: "Smart is a dog."

reply retweet like
Brian Robb
Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
yesterday
Rob Williams: "We are building a good chemistry."

I cannot wait for the highlight films to be posted to YouTube so I can see this dunk. You know it's going to be good when you see the defender's mouth guard almost out of his mouth.

POST GAME CHARLOTTE HORNETS FCl7ExyXIA0kyGr?format=jpg

John Karalis @RedsArmy_John
yesterday
Udoka on not having Brown involved w/Tatum on the final play: The goal was to pick on Ball, so if they involved Jaylen then they're bringing over one of Charlotte's best defenders. By using Smart or someone else, they're trying to switch the weaker defender onto JT

Jared Weiss
Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
yesterday
Maybe the biggest difference between Ime Udoka and Brad Stevens is that Udoka is literally saying the Celtics wanted to pick on LaMelo Ball late in the game and I can't remember Stevens ever saying anything that didn't sound like the most effusive wedding toast about an opponent

Kelly Oubre is one annoying SOB.  So is Marcus Smart, but Smart backs his irritations with winning plays.  Oubre thinks he's a GQ model and should be an All-Star.  You got owned last night, superstar.  Jaylen Brown, with an iffy knee, dropped 30 on your ass in fewer minutes.

I thought Plumlee pretty much owned Robert Williams in the 2nd and 3rd quarters that I watched.  I know Cowens was getting frustrated on the Game On! thread too.  6 points and 9 rebounds in the 4th and OT.  Having said that I have to give credit to Mason Plumlee.  For a relatively unathletic white boy he gets the job done, he does really well at bully ball.  Plumlees > Zellers.  Same type of game, same skill sets but executed much better.

Schroder demanding a starting job.  He's a scorer and he had 8 assists and only 1 TO.  Ironically, the coup that Brad pulled off to get Schroder here and still stay under the cap is the same coup that will see him leave next year, but we get to enjoy this now.

I'm looking forward to the highlight films.

https://www.espn.in/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401359865

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:20 am

These highlights are with the Charlotte announcing crew. This is what I listened to for the 2nd and 3rd quarter. I eventually had to turn the sound off.

I see about Smart's defense at the end. It's what he does.

And that dunk in OT by Jaylen on Bridges was attempted murder.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:26 am

Well, it's time to ask for forgiveness, so please forgive my whining pre-game. It had all the makings of a huge loss for us and a 1-3 start.

What happened last night is what I'm paying for. We see this kind of effort from our two J's and Marcus being Marcus (which BTW just looking at his stats and not seeing the game due to blackout made me think Marcus might be on the trade block. Couldn't be further from the truth.) RWIII with 16 rebounds, Linus (it's easier to write and spell than Schroeder!!) pumping in 23...THAT team will be impossible to beat night-in, night-out.

Except for the apparent defense heading out the door final score, it appears we might be getting our corporate act together. A "W" is a "W". 4 games, 2 OT's (3 actually). That's a lot of time. A B2B sweep? Haven't said that in a while. But they're young and have two commas in their checking accounts. That should get you over just about any pain. The Bullets (just checking to see if anyone's paying attention!!) up next!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:27 am

This was a big time early season win on the road!

The East is loaded.  Teams like the Hornets and the Bulls are no longer automatic W's.  The Hornets were off to their best start in franchise history. That is an impressive offensive team.  I never really watched much of LeMelo Ball but I was very impressed with his game and that of Bridges.  Michael Jordan finally has a team that can compete.

Ok.  Enough about them.  Now on to us.

After the game it was revealed that Marcus Smart was not feeling very good. He gutted it out and helped us snatch victory out of the jaws of defeat.  He made some bad plays but still managed to come up with enough good ones to help us win.  

The Jays both showed up.  Jayson was a smooth operator and Jaylen used his speed and strength to get downhill and to the rim.  Teams do not have enough defenders to shut those guys down when they are on their games.  71 points between them is huge.

Dennis Schroder had a very strong game as our 3rd scorer with 23 points.  He also had 8 assists and 6 rebounds and only 1 turnover.  Teams are going to load up on the Jays so you have to have one or two guys that can make shots.  That still looks like the one area that lacks consistency.

Actross made a point about this in relation to having Smart as the outlet for passes when the Jays have to kick it out.  Most of these look like late in the shot clock bailouts for catch and shoot opportunities.  Marcus went 1-9 from deep and several of those misses came from kickout plays. Some of those missed shots however came early in the shot clock.  Having a 1-9 night like that is no cause for concern for one game.  The problem is that Marcus is off to a horrible start shooting the ball.  He is now 7-29 from deep (24.1%)  Marcus takes too many 3 point shots but how do you reduce his volume when he is the primary outlet guy?  

Robert Williams played with great energy in this game.  The biggest problem with Robert Williams is not Robert Williams.  He went 5-7 last night for 12 points.  He also had 4 assists and 3 blocks.  He was all over the court, keeping balls alive and securing 16 rebounds with 6 off the offensive glass. The Celtics have a 70% shooter and they still do not get him enough opportunities to score.  The Celtics need to use his scoring ability a lot better and that will help to balance their offense.

Parker came in and scored a ton of points in a hurry.  He ran the floor well and looks quick.  With no AH he gave us a big offensive lift.  He also had 5 boards and a block.

We discussed rotations before the season started and so far Ime is going with a 9 man rotation.  We have only played one game with a full compliment of available players.  Hernangomez logged 4 uneventful minutes while Kanter and Nesmith and Fernando are stuck to the pine.  Romeo Langford was in street cloths.

With only 4 games under our belt you can expect that we will see other guys get an opportunity to play.  It seems that ime is going with his vets plus 3rd year guy GW.  I think he wants to establish chemistry with this group before integrating more players into the mix.  Also, each game played has been really close.  No blow outs this far and fewer opportunities to turn the game over to the bench.

Next up Washington on Wednesday and again on Saturday.  Jeff Goodman wanted to trade JB for Beal and now he wants to trade Marcus Smart for a PG.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:39 am

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:41 am

The Three Stooges
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:18 am

prakash wrote:
112288 wrote:prakash

AGREED!

Duh!

I just repeated what you had said in my own words.

Very Happy Very Happy

It was my tongue and cheek response. Of coarse I would agree LOL!

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:30 am

Hi,
Gutsy win.
This game showed much improvement. I hope it continues.
I liked Udoka performance, very good in-game adjustments.
As for Smart, it reminds me the story with Avery Bradley: Doc wanted make a PG/floor general out of him - didn't work out. Similar, Smart doesn't seem to poses those natural PG skills. DS, IMO, looks much better in the PG position.
It was sad to see the shadow of Hayward, his OG self. But I was impressed with Hornets otherwise.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:58 am

dboss wrote:

The Three Stooges

Dboss,
I think there's only one stooge, the one on the left.
As for Smart, like I mentioned in the previous post, he's not a PG and, most probably, won't become one. But trading him for a real PG - sure, find Playoff Rondo circa 2010 and I'd do it in a blink of eye. Otherwise, I don't see any feasible trade target.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:24 am

We have an adequate starting level/boerderline all star pg in Dennis Schroder, he can do the job both ends and will only get better. Some players improve their 3 point shot later in their career, Jason Kidd, Horford, why couldn’t he?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:40 am

Hi Sinus007, great to see you posting. I sent you an email a couple of weeks ago because I had not seen you post.

Gary Tanguay is stooge #1 When he suggests that the jays cannot play together Goodman, stooge #2 agrees with him. Bob Ryan does not discredit the premise that the jays cannot play together. Then Tanguay says that the Celtics need to trade Marcus Smart and neither Goodman nor Ryan disagree with him. I respect Bob Ryan's resume as it relates to Boston Sports and Celtics basketball in particular. With him being the more knowledgeable guy among the 3, he could have shared his 2 cents and set the record straight about the Jays fit and about trading Marcus.

Tanguay is an idiot and so is Jeff Goodman. I am changing to 2 stooges.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:26 pm

POST GAME CHARLOTTE HORNETS 3_stoo10

There are three types of sportscasters as well, I guess.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down