Post-Game Thread: Celts vs.Knicks 10/16/10 and Opening Night Roster Poll

+4
beat
bobc33
dboss
Sam
8 posters

Go down

Celts-Knicks Post-Game Poll: Pick up to 15 players who will be on the opening night roster.

Post-Game Thread: Celts vs.Knicks 10/16/10 and Opening Night Roster Poll Vote_lcap7%Post-Game Thread: Celts vs.Knicks 10/16/10 and Opening Night Roster Poll Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 16 ]
Post-Game Thread: Celts vs.Knicks 10/16/10 and Opening Night Roster Poll Vote_lcap7%Post-Game Thread: Celts vs.Knicks 10/16/10 and Opening Night Roster Poll Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 16 ]
[ 16 ]
[ 16 ]
[ 16 ]
[ 15 ]
[ 15 ]
Post-Game Thread: Celts vs.Knicks 10/16/10 and Opening Night Roster Poll Vote_lcap0%Post-Game Thread: Celts vs.Knicks 10/16/10 and Opening Night Roster Poll Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 1 ]
[ 15 ]
[ 15 ]
Post-Game Thread: Celts vs.Knicks 10/16/10 and Opening Night Roster Poll Vote_lcap6%Post-Game Thread: Celts vs.Knicks 10/16/10 and Opening Night Roster Poll Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 14 ]
[ 15 ]
[ 15 ]
[ 15 ]
Post-Game Thread: Celts vs.Knicks 10/16/10 and Opening Night Roster Poll Vote_lcap1%Post-Game Thread: Celts vs.Knicks 10/16/10 and Opening Night Roster Poll Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 3 ]
Post-Game Thread: Celts vs.Knicks 10/16/10 and Opening Night Roster Poll Vote_lcap6%Post-Game Thread: Celts vs.Knicks 10/16/10 and Opening Night Roster Poll Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 14 ]
[ 13 ]

Total Votes : 230

Poll closed

Post-Game Thread: Celts vs.Knicks 10/16/10 and Opening Night Roster Poll Empty Post-Game Thread: Celts vs.Knicks 10/16/10 and Opening Night Roster Poll

Post by Sam Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:15 am

Another curtailed sparring match for the veterans and extended Romper Room, eventuating in a Celtics win against a team with a lot of flaws. Feel free to comment on this post-game thread. But I'm also making this a poll. Pick up to 15 players you think will be on the opening night roster for the Celts. Remember that Perk counts on the roster. There's no such thing as Injured Reserve now.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post-Game Thread: Celts vs.Knicks 10/16/10 and Opening Night Roster Poll Empty Re: Post-Game Thread: Celts vs.Knicks 10/16/10 and Opening Night Roster Poll

Post by dboss Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:50 am

At 6-1 The Boston Celtics are looking pretty good.

Last night KG had an impressive 20 point game in 20 minutes but it was not the scoring part that impressed me. It was his defense. That quickness to the ball that was missing last year is back and with it Boston will again become a stingy defensive squad.

The overall defensive rotations of the entire team look precise when they simply flicked on their defensive intensity.

The battle for potentially slot # 15 (also heard rumors that DA may only keep 14) continues between Wafer and Lasme. I have seen enough of Wafer to determine that he can shoot the deep ball. Lasme just continues to hustle and play solid defense.

My vote is in. I voted for Lasme because he is the best defensive wing player on the team plus he can get up and down, rebound and score in the post area. I think he probably can defend the 2, 3 and quick power forwards at the 4 spot.

His abilities on the defensive end will make us forget about TA.

I think it is clear that DA has addressed every weakness on last year's team. The Celtics will be a better rebounding team and their defense will be more difficult to score against. They have exceptional depth at every position. The roster is stocked with a wide variety of players with multiple skill sets.

As I watch this team play and start thinbking about their style of play, I am starting realize that they do not have a distinct style of play. They look like they can beat teams any way that they want to.

They have the size and strength to literally pound teams inside in a grind em out contest. They have the speed to play uptempo in a small ball game. They have the ability to cover the perimeter against those high scoring 3 point shooting teams (Magic) They have the diversity to use a countless number of combinations against thier opponents. They have enough shooters to spread the floor. They have guys that can drive the lane.

In other words, a really like this team.

dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post-Game Thread: Celts vs.Knicks 10/16/10 and Opening Night Roster Poll Empty Re: Post-Game Thread: Celts vs.Knicks 10/16/10 and Opening Night Roster Poll

Post by bobc33 Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:08 am

Wafer and Mario West are my bets to go. Though having two players of their skill not make the team shows we are deep. When injuries occur as they will our bench should be able to step up, and then end of the bench can step up too. It bodes well.

I'll be very interested to see how Doc does mpg for the over 30 crew this year. Actually for the whole team as some good players will not get the minutes they are used to. Will egos be a problem? My thought is KG and Doc won't let that happen. It sounds like Shaq, Jermaine and Nate get the fact this team is different with a different culture and an emphasis on what is best for the whole. We'll see on this one.

15 on the roster, 12 can dress, do Harangody and Bradley go to the D league? The question comes up almost every year, does a rookie learn more by being with and practicing with the big boys, or is it better to get a lot of playing time in the DL? I can't make up my mind on this one.

I think the players and caoches returning from last years team are in general very pissed at not winning it all, the heroic effort be damned. I'm hoping we see an angry, focused team all season.

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:15 pm

Bob

I voted the same way. Think the last 3-4 guys might rotate a bit in street clothes and suit up or perhaps stints in the D league. Not sure if there are limits in doing this.

As to playing D or practicing/watching if I am Luke what do i want to do if I'm not one of the 12? I want to play.

And I to like all the various ways this team is constructed. We should be able to withstand "minor" injuries to anyone even a couple at the same time and not loose too much. Playing time will certainly be a concern to all the over 30 crowd.

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:32 pm

Bobc..

i concur with the heroics part completely, Celtics tradition revolves around championships and to take a line from Master Yoda, There is no try: do or do not." The celtics did not last year, nor the year before. No excuses, no reasons, they failed.

This team gets that. I fully expect this team to begin on october 26th to start their run at championship #18. Its been proposeded that the Celtics will take a page from the Spurs and take it easy during the reguler season and turn it up during the playoffs considering their ages.

I dont expect that, yep we got us some long toothed fella's on the squad. Yes minutes will have to be watched. On the other hand, look at the depth of our bench..

im sort of expecting perhaps less actaul manement of minutes as manegment of who might even play. Especialy once Delonte and Perk are back in the fold... Oh wait, Ray's knee is bothering him? Rest ray for a game and insert Delonte into the starting lineup.

back to back games? Ok, Perk is back, lets sit Shaq this game.

we're up by 22 heading into the 4th? Jermaine- baby-Daneils-Nate and delonte better hold that lead for the 4th quarter cuz thats whose getitng almost every minute.

While minutes will be watched, i really think we're going to be more than able to allow for situations where in the past we'd HAVE guys playing through injuries, not serious ones, but where someone is at less than 100%, now we just dont have to do that, we can wait out an injury get a guy back 100% and then continue on.

since this Big Three has come together, one thing every has pointed to is the ability of the team to not have to have paticuler people hot every night, one night Paul, the next Paul and KG, then next game Rondo or ray or whoever.. we've reached a point where we're deep enuff that now we dont have to even force guys to play, let alone demand of them huge minutes or game saving heroics..

ok back to the poll!

like everyone else, though i havent seen Wafer play yet, from all accounts he's failed to impress, M.West i just aint read enuff about, but the other canidates for the last couple spots-erden, harongody-lasme-and bradley all seem to have somethign the team likes- and demands.

I got to see Erden play and despite hearing that he was soft, i like what i saw, excelent hustle and good passing fro a big.. nice pickup by Danny, especialy knowing he wouldnt be availible right away, very Auerbachish of him...
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:25 am

Good point about Danny shutting everyone up by covering all the bases from last season.

It's about time to see the rebounding effort numbers pick up. The league ratio/average of defensive to offensive rebounds comes in around 3:1. On Saturday night, the Celtics bettered that number considerably coming in at just a little better than 2:1. While KG's number were impressive, there was no Amare, so I know KG was disappointed. There's no love loss between those two anyway as I recall. But it was good for KG to go off efficiently anyway.

8 days to the start!! Next Tuesday. I'd be very surprised if the Celtics don't take it to a confused, discombobulated Miami.

Looks like Doc implemented the go to the paint strategy with Amare out with over 1/2 our points coming from there.

Game must have been FoulFest 2010 with only 4 fastbreak points for us.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:53 am

Sam,

Romper Room?!! Now we're really going back. I barely remember that one. Upon further research, that show started back in 1953 and continued until 1994. I remember catching just a few episodes and then never seeing the show again. Late 60's probably.

How about the show that used to come on before Sesame Street, out of Boston? Circa 1972. Station WGBH-TV. Zoom!! I still remember the Boston zip code from their little tag, 02134. OK, way off topic. Sorry. db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:09 am

Sam,
I think you should re-do the poll.
I don't know how it functions but how you can have 6% for the guys who are 100%, e.g. KG, RR, etc. Also, I guess the main subject of the poll is who's out - right?
So far, there're 11 votes. So, the "lifers" should get 11 out of 11 = 100%. The guys who're fighting for the cut are Bradley, Wafer, Lasme and MWest. I guess somebody didn't read your note about Perk.

My vote is Wafer and MWest are out, as the majority thinks. I wonder if Doc will wait after the last pre-season game to announce the final roster?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:31 am

It looks like 6% is rounded down to nearest whole number as 7 would be 7X15 picks=105%, 6%X15 = 90%. I kept Bradley and dumped Wafer, I think, hence the discrepancy in the far right column. Each player kept represents ~6% of the total team. But I'm just guessing. db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:54 am

Sinus,

If the poll were redone, and if the same people voted the same way, the results would be the same. I think that you're saying you'd prefer to see the number of votes for a given player divided by the number of voters. So 12 divided by 12 would equal 100%. But that's not how this polling system does it.

Because most polls are looking for one winner, rather than 15 "winners," the percentages represent what proportion of the total votes each player got.

The numbers listed as I post this add up to 180 votes (obviously 15 votes by each of 12 voters). Most of the players received 12 of the 180 votes, or 6.7%. And, yes, those percentages were rounded to force a total of 100%. There may be some way to change the tabulation approach, but I can't find one.

Anyway, the absolute number of votes on the right clearly shows who the "winners" and "losers" are, as well as giving a pretty good idea of the margins of "victory." The one thing that's missing is clarification of the number of voters. It's obviously 12 in this case; but it wouldn't be so clear cut if the votes were spread over, say, 50 players.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:43 pm

I think Wafer shows flashes of the kind of athleticism and outside shooting that you dont find everyday. I am not sold on Lasme's offensive game, nor do I know where he fits in defensively. So I picked him and Mario West to get cut.

I think Avery Bradley goes to Portland - and Harengody stays until Perk is back...then maybe he too goes to Portland.

Should be fun either way.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down