Celts @ Warriors - Championship Round - Game 2 - Pregame Thoughts

5 posters

Go down

Celts @ Warriors - Championship Round - Game 2 - Pregame Thoughts Empty Celts @ Warriors - Championship Round - Game 2 - Pregame Thoughts

Post by dboss Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:17 pm

Game one was a game of adjustments.

Going into this game my biggest concern was if our drop back defense off those high screens would become an issue.

It did in fact become an issue because the Warriors have shooters that only need a little space to get off quality shots.  The Celtics adjusted by the latter part of the 3rd when Ime went with a smaller lineup.

He wanted our guys to get up and into them.  Once we did that, the Warriors were struggling to make shots because they could not get into their 2nd and 3rd options with our guys right in their mug.

Game 2 will test other needed adjustments where we should see the Warriors attempt more backdoor cuts when we play them tight up top and they will try to dribble penetrate into the paint. Do not go for the fakes off of closeouts and just stay in front of them.

I would really like us to come out and not go into drop back coverage.  We need our guys including our 4's and5's to come up to defend on those top end screens.  Guys like Otto Porter should not be given space behind the arc.  He ain't taking anyone off the bounce.

On offense we know what really works.  Keep the ball moving while setting quality screens and be mindful of making too many mistakes with the ball.  Decision making needs to be at a high level.  We need to play with pace and precision.

Tatum had a poor game making shots but a great game getting the ball to teammates. He will shoot tonight and make more shots.   GS is under the illusion that they contained JT and we cannot possibly shoot that well again.  I do not think they will change their strategy on how they try to defend Jayson and Jaylen.  Boston however will be even more difficult to contain now that they have seen their coverage like those box and ones.

GS really got embarrassed in game one so they are going to come out hard and knock us down early in the fight.  The Celtics should be able to absorb that initial push and go right back to winning their matchups.

The Warriors will not flirt with going down 0-2 so we have to expect an all out war.

I remain confident that Boston can handle adversity.

Look for the Celtics to shock the Warriors again.  Look for our elite defense to be even better tonight.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Celts @ Warriors - Championship Round - Game 2 - Pregame Thoughts Empty Re: Celts @ Warriors - Championship Round - Game 2 - Pregame Thoughts

Post by Pumpsie Green Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:36 pm

I think the Celtics have, overall, the better team. The Warriors have the best player but after Curry our overall depth is better. We may lose the series but IMO it would be an upset. The key to the game today is to come out strong to start each half. We came back from far down in the first game but catchup basketball is usually losing basketball.
Pumpsie Green
Pumpsie Green

Back to top Go down

Celts @ Warriors - Championship Round - Game 2 - Pregame Thoughts Empty Re: Celts @ Warriors - Championship Round - Game 2 - Pregame Thoughts

Post by dboss Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:23 pm

Pumpsie Green wrote:I think the Celtics have, overall, the better team. The Warriors have the best player but after Curry our overall depth is better. We may lose the series but IMO it would be an upset. The key to the game today is to come out strong to start each half. We came back from far down in the first game but catchup basketball is usually losing basketball.

Pumpsie

I agree with you 100% about the Celtics having the overall better team. However, I disagree about them having the best player in Curry. I going with All NBA 1st teamer Jayson Tatum as the best player.

The Celtics did get off to a slow 1st QTR but still managed to be within 4 and we took a 2 point lead into halftime. I got a little nervous in the 3rd when it seemed as though everything they were throwing up was going in while our offense was pretty sporadic.

I too would like to see strong starts but finishing out quarters strong is just as important.

These teams are really good and each will go on runs during a game.

In the end, we are going to win because our defense is superior to theirs.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:36 pm

I see Jaylen going for 36 and Jayson 32 and us locking down on defense, winning by 18. Jaylen is on his way to Finals MVP, Klay Thompson cannot keep up with him.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:36 pm

Make or miss league. It will be in play today more than game 1. We may see a lot less of GWill and a lot more of White and PP. We should see the single big lineup quite a bit.

Just want Tatum to get Andrew Wiggins out of his head and shoot well tonight. It should be a fun game.

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:52 pm

dboss,

I agree with everything you've written up except the second to last sentence.  It's what makes a horse race.  I want to see it with my own eyes and then my opinion will change.  

Ime has set your stage with your prediction on his brilliant B2B TO's near the end of G1.  That ain't happenin' again.  That was like a Coach Red move early on with the Celtics before the 60's rolled in.  With a coach being able to slow the game down enough while watching it in-game and in real time to be able to make these decisions like that is setting the stage not only for this G2 but for far beyond this season.  Another big thing in your favor is JT coming off a "bad" game.  Some will argue his G1 game was bad.  From scoring, yes, but those 13 assist were more like 1.5X because most of the assists I saw from him were for 3's or And 1's.  Anyway, JT's going off tonight.  And if he follows up with another egg, he knows he's got all KINDS of help which we showed GS can't guard.  

My stage and my prediction has been set upon our past performances specific to these situations.  We typically have not done well in following a win, and this will come into play even more for G3 & G4 where we haven't done well either.  I think it's 5-4 overall and 5-4 just at home?  (BKN - after winning G1, we won 3 in-a-row, so that's 3-0 overall (2-0 at home).  MIL - Lost G1,won G2, Lost G3, Won G4, Lost G5, Won G6 & G7, so that 1-2 (2-2 at home).  MIA we lost G1, won G2, lost G3, won G4, won G5, lost G6 and won G7, so that's 1-2 (1-2 at home).  Which isn't as bad as I thought but not stellar for home playoff record.  It's better than a horse race.  So dboss, that gives you the edge!!        

Don't get me wrong.  Believe me, I don't want to be right.  But until the facts change, my opinion will not.

This is just another opportunity for Boston.  Lose, and it's business as usual.  That's what everyone's expecting.  Get ready for a long, Kingda Ka series.  If we win, we put the Warriors, the East and the rest of the league on notice.  This team won't be leaving the station any time soon.  You won't be able to beat for the next 7-8 years.  So move your all chess pieces around, go over the cap, trade all your future draft picks away on James Harden, try to build a super team, try to get Kryrie to come into work when everybody else is there...do whatever you have to do, but it will be fruitless.  

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout, Jack!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:41 pm

db

I think we are 4-2 in games 3 and 4.  I'll take that any day.

The big stats for me are our 9-2 road record and not losing B2B games.

Defense wins championships.  

Not the least concerned about Tatum, not afraid that Curry can make deep balls, and not concerned about their experience vs ours.  These teams are pretty even by our defensive gives us an edge.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:44 pm

With Iggy out we may see Kuminga get some run.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:30 pm

Thought I would mention something.

GSW have 1 PG. Looney and Green are it at center.

Basically they lack depth at 1 and 5.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:09 pm

dboss wrote:Thought I would mention something.

GSW have 1 PG.  Looney and Green are it at center.

Basically they lack depth at 1 and 5.

I don’t see a Giannis/Bam type of big man defender or force on GS, as a matter of fact our 2 elite wings tower over Draymond Green. After going head to head with slugfests in Milwaukee and Miami, this is like a walk on the beach to me. We are so much bigger and more athletic at every position.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:37 am

I think Draymond is enough!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:21 am

dbrown4 wrote:I think Draymond is enough!!

db

We played like a bunch of pussies

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down