cowens/oldschool
Ktron
dboss
bobheckler
9 posters

Go down

Celtics Camp Roster Empty Celtics Camp Roster

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:01 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2022/09/celtics-sign-justin-jackson-denzel-valentine-to-training-camp-roster.html

DEPTH CHART

Guards (7): Smart, Brown, Brogdon, White, Pritchard, Valentine, Davison (two-way)

Forwards (7): Tatum, Gallinari (injured), G. Williams, Hauser, Jackson, Layman, Caboclo

Bigs (5): R. Williams, Horford, Kornet, Kabengele (two-way), Vonleh

Boston will have anywhere from 2-3 roster spots available for the best fits out of Valentine, Jackson, Layman, Caboclo, Vonleh and Kornet. It’s also possible a two-way player like Kabengele earns a 15-man roster spot with a strong training camp. The competition should be fierce with the added opportunity available following Gallinari’s ACL tear so expect Ime Udoka to try to get a good look at these guys in preseason action as he attempts to round out his roster.

Bob
MY NOTE:  We need a shooter off the bench to replace Gallinari.  Sam Hauser could be that player but he's very inexperienced.  Furthermore, Hauser is almost strictly a 3pt catch-and-shooter.  Gallo (or Carmelo) were more than just that.  Justin Jackson shot well from 3 in SL but his career numbers against NBA talent isn't that great.  There's also the need for another Big.  We need a beast, we need beef.  We need a player that can body up Embiid and Jokic and the rest of the massive bigs in the NBA.  Kabengele has the beef but not the height.  Vonleh might have the height and length but not the beef.  Kornet isn't it.  Brad's trying to stay on the right side of 30 but having veteran like Dwight Howard come in an spell Horford is sounding pretty good right now.  He isn't what he used to be but he can still rebound, block the occasional shot and nobody is going to bullyball him out of position.

Camp opens 9/28, 13 days from now.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics Camp Roster Empty Re: Celtics Camp Roster

Post by dboss Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:40 pm

Hope the Celtics stop dicking around.  The obvious replacement for Gallo is Melo.

And then you got 3 more spots to fill.

This team is right there.  No need to screw around with if, ands or buts.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:51 am

Agree. Melo is the fellow. Stop dicking around!!

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:13 am

ktron

I hope Hauser can help.  I like him a lot but at the same time his offensive limitations and defensive abilities are probably baked into the cake.

If he is truly ready to take the next step and the Celtics were on the same page from jump, they would not have signed Gallo.

There can be no excuses.  Brad has more than enough open roster spots to make this team a juggernaut.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:50 pm

bobheckler wrote:https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2022/09/celtics-sign-justin-jackson-denzel-valentine-to-training-camp-roster.html

DEPTH CHART

Guards (7): Smart, Brown, Brogdon, White, Pritchard, Valentine, Davison (two-way)

Forwards (7): Tatum, Gallinari (injured), G. Williams, Hauser, Jackson, Layman, Caboclo

Boston will have anywhere from 2-3 roster spots available for the best fits out of Valentine, Jackson, Layman, Caboclo, Vonleh and Kornet. It’s also possible a two-way player like Kabengele earns a 15-man roster spot with a strong training camp. The competition should be fierce with the added opportunity available following Gallinari’s ACL tear so expect Ime Udoka to try to get a good look at these guys in preseason action as he attempts to round out his roster.

Bob
MY NOTE:  We need a shooter off the bench to replace Gallinari.  Sam Hauser could be that player but he's very inexperienced.  Furthermore, Hauser is almost strictly a 3pt catch-and-shooter.  Gallo (or Carmelo) were more than just that.  Justin Jackson shot well from 3 in SL but his career numbers against NBA talent isn't that great.  There's also the need for another Big.  We need a beast, we need beef.  We need a player that can body up Embiid and Jokic and the rest of the massive bigs in the NBA.  Kabengele has the beef but not the height.  Vonleh might have the height and length but not the beef.  Kornet isn't it.  Brad's trying to stay on the right side of 30 but having veteran like Dwight Howard come in an spell Horford is sounding pretty good right now.  He isn't what he used to be but he can still rebound, block the occasional shot and nobody is going to bullyball him out of position.

Agreed on Howard, I would also consider Demarcus Cousins, both these guys are at the later stages of their careers and lost a lot of athleticism; basically as athletic as Perk in his prime, well that’s all we need some grade A beef.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:02 am

My only question is why hasn't anyone signed him yet?! Something doesn't compute.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:02 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
bobheckler wrote:https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2022/09/celtics-sign-justin-jackson-denzel-valentine-to-training-camp-roster.html

DEPTH CHART

Bob

Agreed on Howard, I would also consider Demarcus Cousins, both these guys are at the later stages of their careers and lost a lot of athleticism; basically as athletic as Perk in his prime, well that’s all we need some grade A beef.

Agree 100%

And now with RWIII experiencing yet another knee procedure, the need is critical. Are Howard and Cousins the long term solution? No. They are each examples of relatively affordable stop-gaps, however. They offer enough experience to be able to do the job down low and the need for them to have a mid or long range shooting touch is non-existent. I believe we need two frontcourt players of this type, not just one. The front office better start figuring how to make it all fit given the cap and tax structure, if a return to the finals is the goal this year.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:42 pm

The Celtics have already waived Bruno Caboclo.

Didn't even make it to camp.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:33 pm

bobheckler wrote:The Celtics have already waived Bruno Caboclo.

Bob

I saw that. He was a longshot to make the team. His departure may open up a roster spot for Noah Vonleh.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:49 am

dboss wrote:

Bob

I saw that.  He was a longshot to make the team.  His departure may open up a roster spot for Noah Vonleh.  

dboss,

I now count only 12 NBA contracts:

Smart, JB, JT, Al, RWill, Brogdon, White, Pritchard, Gallo (inactive and unavailable, but his contract applies to the roster and salary cap), Kornet, Hauser, Grant.  So, really only 11 NBA players available but 12 on the books unless/until Brad does something with Gallo's.  The NBA CBA requires 13 minimum, 14 is allowed for a couple of weeks only with 15 being fully manned.  So we know, for absolutely sure, there will be another NBA contract signed before Opening Night.  It could be a two-way being upgraded (Kabengele?) or a free agent or a 2-for-1 NBA contract trade.  

Every other player is either on a camp invite (e.g. Layman, Vonleh, Jackson, Valentine) or a two-way (e.g. Davison, Kabengele).

I think, and this is stricty speculation on my part, is that Caboclo was waived to make room for two more bigs in camp.  We were already short one when RWill was thought healthy, we're down 2 now until he comes back.  Even then he'll be out of shape. If Brad was hoping he could skate with this roster until the trade deadline and then pull a rabbit out of his hat he cannot think that anymore.

We need a big BIG, a Dwight Howard type, and we need either a shot-blocker and/or outside shooting big.  Kabengele could be the shot blocker, although I think he lacks the height to fill the D12 role.  He has the beef, he's 250#, but he has the same problem Grant had when he played small ball 5, and I doubt he has Grant's BBIQ to offset that.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:12 am

bobheckler wrote:
dboss wrote:

Bob

I saw that.  He was a longshot to make the team.  His departure may open up a roster spot for Noah Vonleh.  

dboss,

I now count only 12 NBA contracts:

Smart, JB, JT, Al, RWill, Brogdon, White, Pritchard, Gallo (inactive and unavailable, but his contract applies to the roster and salary cap), Kornet, Hauser, Grant.  So, really only 11 NBA players available but 12 on the books unless/until Brad does something with Gallo's.  The NBA CBA requires 13 minimum, 14 is allowed for a couple of weeks only with 15 being fully manned.  So we know, for absolutely sure, there will be another NBA contract signed before Opening Night.  It could be a two-way being upgraded (Kabengele?) or a free agent or a 2-for-1 NBA contract trade.  

Every other player is either on a camp invite (e.g. Layman, Vonleh, Jackson, Valentine) or a two-way (e.g. Davison, Kabengele).

I think, and this is stricty speculation on my part, is that Caboclo was waived to make room for two more bigs in camp.  We were already short one when RWill was thought healthy, we're down 2 now until he comes back.  Even then he'll be out of shape.  If Brad was hoping he could skate with this roster until the trade deadline and then pull a rabbit out of his hat he cannot think that anymore.

We need a big BIG, a Dwight Howard type, and we need either a shot-blocker and/or outside shooting big.  Kabengele could be the shot blocker, although I think he lacks the height to fill the D12 role.  He has the beef, he's 250#, but he has the same problem Grant had when he played small ball 5, and I doubt he has Grant's BBIQ to offset that.

Bob

Kabengele is listed at 6’10” with very good arm length, obviously hope that height stat is legit, at this stage of their careers, I gotta think he has better hops than Dwight Howard. I wouldn’t compare Kabengele to Grant, completely different players and positions. Kabengele is more a poor mans version of RWill IMHO.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:01 pm

IMO, Brad and Ime already understand that Dwight Howard is a clown who plays matador defense and has a tendency to play out of control and often injures his own teammates.  So, they are passing on him, ATM.

Likewise, Brad and Ime already understand that Cousins is often a hothead who plays matador defense and has a tendency to play out of control when he is upset.  So, they are passing on him, ATM.

They may change their minds, but I wouldn't bet the house on it.

Brad and Ime may prefer to see what the guys already on the preseason roster can do, especially on the defensive end.  They may be a little bit hungrier and they may actually accept coaching, unlike those old set in their ways guys many have suggested.

They may also be waiting to see what shakes out of the other team's rejects when all rosters are trimmed down going into the regular season.

There may be no quick decisions to calm the fans.  

My suggestion:

Celtics Camp Roster Keep_c11

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:01 am

At dentist but I'll leave this here.

Celtics Sign 6'10" Croatian.

https://heavy.com/sports/boston-celtics/luka-samanic-signed-contract/

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:32 am

bobheckler wrote:At dentist but I'll leave this here.

Bob

I usually go to the dentist after 2:30. drunken

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:31 pm

bobheckler wrote:At dentist but I'll leave this here.

Bob

Bobby Manning
@RealBobManning
Sources to
@CLNSMedia
: #celtics to sign Luka Šamanić to a training camp deal. The 22-year-old, 6-10 Croatian forward last played for the Westchester Knicks and was the Spurs' No. 19 overall pick in the 2019 NBA Draft.

27.9 PPG 10.6 RPG and 3.3 APG on 54.9% FG w/ WES.
2:27 PM · Sep 21, 2022
·Twitter Web App

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:10 pm

Celtics sign Luka!!! Celtics sign Luka!!! Celtics sign Luka!!!

Oh wait……..

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:44 pm

Good one bobc33.
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:06 pm

https://www.nba.com/celtics/news/boston-celtics-announce-2022-23-training-camp-roster

Boston Celtics Announce 2022-23 Training Camp Roster

September 27, 202211:33 AM EDT

BOSTON, MA – The Boston Celtics announced today that they finalized their training camp roster for the 2022-23 season by adding Justin Jackson, Jake Layman, Luka Samanic, Brodric Thomas, Denzel Valentine and Noah Vonleh to the roster. Per team policy, terms of the deals were not disclosed.

Jackson (6-8, 220), 27, has averaged 6.5 points (42.6% FG, 32.1% 3-PT, 79.9% FT), 2.5 rebounds and 18.7 minutes in 255 career games (61 starts) over five NBA seasons. He spent the 2021-22 season with two NBA call-ups to Boston and to Phoenix while playing for the Texas Legends of the NBA G-League where he averaged 17.8 points, 6.2 rebounds, 2.2 assists and 1.33 steals while shooting 37.7 percent from three in 38 games.

Layman (6-8, 209), 28, has played in six NBA seasons split between Portland and Minnesota where he has appeared in 243 career games with averages of 4.8 points (46.0% FG, 30.0% 3-PT, 71.9% FT) and 1.7 rebounds in 12.8 minutes per game. The Norwood, MA native was originally selected by the Orlando Magic with the 47th overall pick in the second round of the 2016 NBA draft.

Samanic (6-10, 215), 22, spent last season playing for the Westchester Knicks in the NBA G-League where he averaged 27.9 points (54.8% FG, 36.7% 3-PT, 87.0% FT), 10.4 rebounds and 3.3 assists in 32.3 minutes per game. The 19th overall pick in the 2019 NBA Draft by San Antonio has appeared in 36 career games in the NBA in San Antonio with career averages of 3.8 points and 2.2 rebounds.

Thomas (6-5, 185), 25, spent last season as one of the Celtics’ two-way players where he averaged 15.7 points (45.7% FG, 38.7% 3-PT, 5.6 rebounds, 3.8 assists and 1.72 steals in 30.6 minutes per game for the Maine Celtics. Thomas also appeared in 12 games for the Celtics last season.

Valentine (6-4, 220), 28, has appeared in 256 career games in the NBA averaging 7.0 points (39.4% FG, 36.0% 3-PT, 78.7% FT), 3.3 rebounds and 1.8 assists in 18.8 minutes per game. The former 14th overall pick in the 2016 NBA draft by Chicago spent last season split between Cleveland and Utah in the NBA while also spending time with the Maine Celtics in the NBA G-League. While in Maine, Valentine averaged 14.6 points (44.0% FG, 35.2% 3-PT, 78.6% FT), 10.3 rebounds and 7.0 assists in 12 games.

Vonleh (6-10, 257), 27, played last season for the Shanghai Dongfang Sharks of the Chinese Basketball Association where he averaged 14.4 points (45.1% FG, 38.8% 3-PT, 71.6% FT), 9.2 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 1.75 steals and 1.32 blocks per game in 28 appearances. The former ninth overall pick by Charlotte in 2014 was born in Salem, MA and has appeared in 339 career NBA games split between Charlotte, Portland, New York, Minnesota, Chicago, Denver and Brooklyn.

Boston opens preseason action against the Hornets at TD Garden on Oct. 2, its first of four preseason contests.

NO PLAYER POS HT/WT DOB PRIOR TO NBA/HOME COUNTRY YEARS
13 Malcolm Brogdon G 6-5/229 12/11/96 Virginia/USA 6
7 Jaylen Brown F 6-6/220 10/24/96 California/USA 6
20 J.D. Davison* G 6-3/195 10/03/02 Alabama/USA R
8 Danilo Gallinari F 6-10/233 08/08/88 Olimpia Milano/Italy 13
30 Sam Hauser F 6-8/215 12/08/97 Virginia/USA 1
42 Al Horford C 6-9/240 06/03/86 Florida/Dominican Republic 15
43 Justin Jackson F 6-8/220 03/28/95 North Carolina/USA 5
28 Mfiondu Kabengele* F/C 6-10/250 08/14/97 Florida State/Canada 2
40 Luke Kornet C 7-2/252 07/15/95 Vanderbilt/USA 5
26 Jake Layman F 6-8/209 03/07/94 Maryland/USA 6
11 Payton Pritchard G 6-2/190 01/28/98 Oregon/USA 2
99 Luka Samanic F 6-10/215 01/09/00 KK Olimpija/Croatia 2
36 Marcus Smart G 6-3/220 03/06/94 Oklahoma State/USA 8
0 Jayson Tatum F 6-8/210 03/03/98 Duke/USA 5
97 Brodric Thomas G 6-5/185 01/28/97 Truman/USA 2
45 Denzel Valentine G/F 6-4/220 11/16/94 Michigan State/USA 5
4 Noah Vonleh F/C 6-10/257 08/24/95 Indiana/USA 7
9 Derrick White G 6-4/195 07/02/94 Colorado/USA 5
12 Grant Williams F 6-6/236 11/30/98 Tennessee/USA 3
44 Robert Williams C 6-8/240 10/17/97 Texas A&M/USA 4
*denotes two-way player

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:24 pm

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
about 1 hour ago
The Celtics are waiving Denzel Valentine, sources tell me and @Shams Charania.

Bob
MY NOTE: No surprise here.  Our back court is as deep as it has ever been and Valentine doesn't do anything exceptionally well.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:33 pm

Cameron 🎃 Tabatabaie
@CTabatabaie
KG is hilarious

https://twitter.com/CTabatabaie/status/1580604230800269319

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:27 am

Michael Scotto
@MikeAScotto
·
Follow
Sources: The Boston Celtics have waived Brodric Thomas, @hoopshype has learned. Thomas appeared in 12 games for the Celtics last season.

Bob
MY NOTE:  Not a big surprise here.  Our back court is stacked and he didn't shine much.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:45 am

If Vonleh and Jackson make the team we are at our 15 player max plus the two 2-way guys.

Vonleh has probably played himself into a roster spot but not too sure about Jackson.

Brad may want to keep that last roster spot open. That would give him more flexibility to add a player down the road.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:48 am

Keep the flexibility Brad.
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:59 pm

According to Adam Himmelsbach of the Globe, Noah Vonleh has all but secured a roster spot. Makes sense.  He's a big, we need bigs.

If true that would leave one open spot, if Brad chooses to fill it now.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down