Why Brad Stevens decided against becoming Celtics head coach during Ime Udoka’s suspension

3 posters

Go down

Why Brad Stevens decided against becoming Celtics head coach during Ime Udoka’s suspension Empty Why Brad Stevens decided against becoming Celtics head coach during Ime Udoka’s suspension

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:39 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2022/09/why-brad-stevens-decided-against-becoming-celtics-head-coach-during-ime-udokas-suspension.html

Why Brad Stevens decided against becoming Celtics head coach during Ime Udoka’s suspension

Updated: Sep. 23, 2022, 12:54 p.m.|Published: Sep. 23, 2022, 12:54 p.m.

By Brian Robb | brobb@masslive.com

BOSTON — There is no person in the Celtics organization with more coaching experience than team president of basketball operations Brad Stevens. So naturally, when the team made the decision to suspend head coach Ime Udoka for a full season for violations of the team’s code of conduct this week, some consideration was given within the team to see if Stevens wanted to fill the role. Those names included co-owner Wyc Grousbeck.

“We did have a conversation,” Grousbeck admitted Friday. “A brief one.”

Stevens however made it clear that he thought assistant Joe Mazzulla was the right man for the position over him for the interim role, naming him official as the head coach for the 2022-23 season in a press conference Thursday morning at the Auerbach Center.

“Joe is the best choice to do that by a long shot. So as you go through this whole process, it all hits you, but I think we have the best people in place to do that, and Joe is the best person to do that in our organization,” Stevens said. “I think the other part of it is, there’s a lot of factors in play of why I wouldn’t necessarily even want to do that,”

Stevens said he would be an asset for the 34-year-old Mazzulla as much as he needs but wants to make sure he isn’t crossing a line.

“I do think that - and I’ve told Joe this - I’m going to be there for him without stepping on his toes as much as he needs, but he doesn’t need much,” Stevens said. “I believe in that strongly. And hopefully, I can help him with any questions he has as he goes through it, but sometimes you just need someone who has been there next to you, to be able to go in and let your shoulders down and talk about what you’re going through, and hopefully, I can be that for him.”

Stevens also acknowledged that the team would consider adding an additional experienced assistant coach to the team’s staff in the wake of the Mazzulla promotion.

“We haven’t gone into a ton of discussions about adding to the staff,” Stevens said. “I think the staff checks a lot of boxes as is. There may be an addition. But I believe, we have several young coaches but several of them have years and years of experience. I referred to Damon Stoudamire and Ben (Sullivan) because I think they have the most experience and I think they’re really really going to help us. I think they’re people we considered too. They’re future head coaches.”

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Why Brad Stevens decided against becoming Celtics head coach during Ime Udoka’s suspension Empty Re: Why Brad Stevens decided against becoming Celtics head coach during Ime Udoka’s suspension

Post by gyso Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:26 pm

It has been discussed if Brad would add an experienced guy (Vogel?) to help his new young coach. So, they are still considering this.

I've also seen the question about the current group of assistant coaches brought in by our former coach. It seems like they are staying. That could help promote continuity, being so close to pre-season.

Back to top Go down

Why Brad Stevens decided against becoming Celtics head coach during Ime Udoka’s suspension Empty Re: Why Brad Stevens decided against becoming Celtics head coach during Ime Udoka’s suspension

Post by worcester Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:31 pm

And if the current coaching staff stays, many of whom are close friends with Ime, it may augur the unlikely return of Ime in a year.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down