bobc33
cowens/oldschool
sinus007
dboss
8 posters

Go down

Celts over Hornets Preseason Game #1 Empty Celts over Hornets Preseason Game #1

Post by dboss Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:32 pm

The Celtics demolished the Hornets in their 1st preseason game by 41 points (134-93)

Here are my Takeaways:

Jaylen Brown is noticeably thicker and looked in midseason form (24 Pts 8-11)

The Celtics pushed the ball on offense all game long and consistently played with tremendous pace even when the Hornets scored.  This is what fast break basketball looks like.  At times they did turn the ball over but they never took their foot off the gas.  They had 23 turnovers but their 41 assists more than made up for the mistakes.

Some guys that can be in the mix for rotation minutes played very well.  Sam Hauser did not hesitate a second and his movement on defense looks much improved.  If he can shoot like this, we may have solved  our need for an off the bench marksman.

With Rob and Kornet out we had a chance to see Noah Vonleh and Mfiondu Kabengele.  Both were very active, Both knocked down a 3 point shot.  Kaben was particularly active and very athletic.  We saw some Rob Williams out there in his vertical presence.

Big surprise was seeing how quick Brogdon is off the bounce.  

It looks like rookie JD Davidson could develop into a good player.

PP was quick and aggressive at both ends.

I know this was just a preseason game but the Celtics looked much deeper than the team did last year.

Grant and D White also played well.

Last edited by dboss on Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Celts over Hornets Preseason Game #1 Empty Re: Celts over Hornets Preseason Game #1

Post by sinus007 Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:24 pm

Hi,
Finally, basketball is back.
Just one point about the game. Sam Houser performed better than I expected on defense. Hopefully, he continues to improve in that department.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Celts over Hornets Preseason Game #1 Empty Re: Celts over Hornets Preseason Game #1

Post by dboss Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:05 pm

sinus007 wrote:Hi,
Finally, basketball is back.
Just one point about the game. Sam Houser performed better than I expected on defense. Hopefully, he continues to improve in that department.

AK

Sinus

With Gallo likely gone for the year, Sam has a realistic opportunity.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:56 pm

We exceeded my expectations and kept on attacking them over and over relentlessly. Our defense looked like our calling card from last year. We do seem to have plenty of depth and Timelord and Blake didn’t even play. MK looked really good, didn’t miss a shot; he actually reminds me of the prototypical Raptors big, long mobile and active. There were some sloppy passes/play, but that is expected in the first preseason game of the season. Brogden looked like he had been playing with us for years, he fit in so well. Trying not to get too excited about one preseason game, but we sure looked deep and good both ends.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:11 am

Kabengele gives me hope that we can survive the loss of Luke.

Last edited by worcester on Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:11 am

Hauser and Vonleh put up damn good numbers. Davison with 4 assists in 6 minutes. That would average out to 24 ast over 36. Not too shabby.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:50 am

Brogdon is a difference maker. Very impressed with his game, and I think he will be a good locker room influence.

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:40 am

All great observations. Here's what I saw.

1) Go back either in your memory or watch the 2008 Finals again. Any game will do and watch the shot clock as soon as the Celtics gain possession, but in particular Game 6. On average, you will see the ball is at mid-court and the shot clock for the Celtics is at 22 seconds...darn near very possession. When I got into last night's game, I thought, well, damn, this is Rondo Ball. Welcome back, Rondo. We've missed you.

2) Ime who? Looks like the players are way over all that. So should we be. New coach unfortunately has the deer in the headlights look in his eyes and looks young enough so that he could suit up at any time, but we'll see. Hopefully, he'll be our Norm Sloan. Hope we didn't play everything good out in one game and it's all uphill from here, but great start nonetheless more or less.

3) The Assist/FGM percentage was off the charts. Never seen a game in recent memory like that. And they were all legitimate assists, not like a hockey assist. Scary. Scary good. Wow!

4) Had to do a double take on JB. Thought he was one of the new guys I didn't recognize. All that time under water and in the gym during the summer clearly paid off. With the 2 J's, it doesn't look like we will need both of them to go off every night to win. That's nice to know. If those do ever get consistent superstar performances night-in night-out, we'll go 98-0 with a +25 winning spread. JT was still JT as far as inconsistency. He stuck to it, though, and finished with a nice game. Give him credit for plowing through. He'll get there. This may be his year. Looks like JB has thrown down the gauntlet early, though.

5) Pritchard's shot looks good. So does Doogie Houser's. His looks real good from 3-ville.

6) Kabengele looks like he was born to be a Celtic. At times motivationally crazed like a KG I dare say. We'll see. If you're going to get that jacked up for a pre-season game, look out regular season! Bring it on!

7) Brogden does fit in seamlessly. Huge asset added to the mix. Nice move, Brad.

Cool Michael needs to sell the franchise and quit kidding himself as far as being a legit NBA owner goes. If one game a season makes, Charlotte is soon going to take over for Sacramento as the butt of any and all NBA jokes if they haven't already. Just being honest. Nothing against His Airness, but owning a team just ain't his thing. I'm sure it's the gift that keeps on giving the whole year like the Jelly of the Month Club and looks good on his resume after retiring from the game, but let's get real here. Charlotte sucks. Maybe they can turn it around by the 14th when we play them again but I see no hope there.

That's enough for now. All the summer crap is over and let's hope that was a statement game made by the entire team that says it's time to lace up and move on.

Go Celtics!!

db

P.S. Over the summer, we finally switched to streaming via FUBO and Sling until the lawyers figure out a way to put TBS/TNT on FUBO, but one thing I like immediately about streaming is when you hit record, it records the team, so whenever Boston is playing and whatever network or channel they are playing on and whatever time, it records them. You don't have to go looking for times and cross-check, search, scroll through a thousand channels, etc. Now most of the games will be on League Pass and to a lesser degree on TNT, ESPN and NBATV, but trying to find games and recording them on cable are over. Nice feature. I hate having to scramble to find where/when our games are once they are off LP. Yeah, I'm spoiled.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:09 am

MY NOTE:  This is a cut-and-paste from the Preseason thread.  This Post-Game thread didn't exist when I posted this.  I made a change or two because I got some numbers wrong.  We had 23 turnovers and not 29 like I said.  We had 29 personal fouls, I read the wrong column.

134-93.  That's a 41 point win.

JB was smoking hot with 24 on 8-11, 3-5 from 3 in 24 minutes.  Tatum was not with 4-11.

Vonleh and Fi both had good showings.  Vonleh with some solid defense but some bad decisions for fouls.  9 rebounds and 7 points in 13 minutes for Vonleh, but 5 fouls.  Fi looked very good indeed.  10 points, 3 rebs in 11 mins.  They don't credit him with any blocks but I saw 2 minimum.  One game, but a tough decision here so far.

Brogdon with 11 points on 4-9 and 9 assists in 24 mins.  VERY solid performance.  Very poised, very crafty.  He's going to move the needle for us this year if he stays healthy.

Howsah with 14 on 5-6, 4-5 from 3.  We lost a shooter with Gallo, we might have already had his replacement on the squad.  Good D by Sam too.  Mike called him "Sam the Show".

Pritchard not shooting that well, but he had 5 assists in 18 mins.  His defense on Dennis Smith Jr., who was shooting every time he touched the ball because he's playing for a contract, was impressive.  I really liked his intensity and stickiness on Smith.  Right up there in his chest.

Davison only played 6 mins but he looks like a natural.  4 points and 4 assists in 6 minutes is pretty f'ing good.

We had 23 turnovers.  NOT good.  We also had 41 assists and that's remarkable.  That's because we shot 57% on the game and 47% from 3.  (Addition:  41 assists vs 23 turnovers is a more acceptable 1.78:1 assist-to-turnover ratio.  Obviously it was much uglier when I thought we had 29 turnovers).

41 assists, 48 fgm.  That is a mind-blowing 85.4% assist-to-fgm percentage.  

They shot 35% but 101 fgas.  That's because they had 13 steals and a lot of our 29 turnovers were live balls.  We need to clean that up, and I'm sure Joe will.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401474845

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:21 am

Bob, there you go, proving you are human:

"They shot 35% but 101 fgas. That's because they had 13 steals and a lot of our 29 turnovers were live balls. We need to clean that up, and I'm sure Joe will."

FYI, We finally figured out how to run the mag and overcome my own human errors. Unfortunately I'll be in Texas the next two weekends so our treasure hunt is on hold until after that.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:38 am

worcester wrote:Bob, there you go, proving you are human:

"They shot 35% but 101 fgas.  That's because they had 13 steals and a lot of our 29 turnovers were live balls.  We need to clean that up, and I'm sure Joe will."

FYI, We finally figured out how to run the mag and overcome my own human errors. Unfortunately I'll be in Texas the next two weekends so our treasure hunt is on hold until after that.

Worcester,

I hate revealing myself as mortal. It disrupts my universe-view.

Heading into nice diving weather in Florida.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:44 am

I need to revisit a couple of observations.

Let's start with Grant Williams.  He put the ball on the floor and looks smooth and decisive and quicker.  That drive off the bounce and his left hand finish was impressive.   Looks like I am going to have to find someone else to pick on (lol)

We have seen the Celtics play fast before but I do not recall them playing that way for an entire game.  When Charlotte scored, the ball was right back in play consistently.  The pass was used very effectively to move the ball across half court.  This style of play can be very effective if you use a deep rotation and have a level of discipline to push the pace.  Last season the Celtics were ranked around #20 in scoring fast break points.  FB basketball was not part of our identity.  If coach Joe is able to get his team to buy into this concept, this team will not go through scoring droughts because they are walking the ball up the court and settling for a half-court offense characterized by ISO basketball.

Both Kabengele and Vonleh where running dribble handoffs up top, setting screens and rolling. They both play with  intensity.  I loved the Cowens like dive on the floor play by Kabengele.  He wanted the ball and he went and got it.

The Celtics defense was very solid. We got tons of cover guys that can pressure the ball and switch.

I think that the Celtics have enough bigs to survive and win while Rob rehabs.

Game 2 is on Wednesday vs the Raptors.  That will be a challenging game because the Raptors have a plethora of long, active and athletic guys.  

Coach Joe has a lot of options at his disposal.  Let's see how he matches up against Nurse strategically.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:56 am

I think Kabengele and Vonleh are players that won’t make any difference on a team like say Orlando, they are role players that can do some dirty work. Now add Smart, Brogden, JB, JT and Al and all of a sudden their simple games/contributions can go a big way….

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:48 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:I think Kabengele and Vonleh are players that won’t make any difference on a team like say Orlando, they are role players that can do some dirty work. Now add Smart, Brogden, JB, JT and Al and all of a sudden their simple games/contributions can go a big way….

Kabengele is on a 2-way contract. Will he be given a regular contract? I think he should get one of the regular spots.

Will Noah Vonleh make the team?

Gallinari is out for the year. Does his roster spot on a 15 man roster go away? I think it may because Boston got a Disabled Player Exception. If that is the case we currently have 12 players under contract including Blake. That leaves 3 open roster spots.

Will any of our Exhibition 10/Exhibition 9 guys make the team?

The list includes Vonleh, Layman, Jackson, Thomas and Samanic

Will Brad add someone else to complete the roster? If so what else does this team need? Another shooter, defender or ball handler? Will he go with 14 guys to start the season?

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:26 pm

dbrown4 wrote:All great observations.  Here's what I saw.

1)  Go back either in your memory or watch the 2008 Finals again.  Any game will do and watch the shot clock as soon as the Celtics gain possession, but in particular Game 6.  On average, you will see the ball is at mid-court and the shot clock for the Celtics is at 22 seconds...darn near very possession.  When I got into last night's game, I thought, well, damn, this is Rondo Ball.  Welcome back, Rondo.  We've missed you.  

2)  Ime who?  Looks like the players are way over all that.  So should we be.  New coach unfortunately has the deer in the headlights look in his eyes and looks young enough so that he could suit up at any time, but we'll see.  Hopefully, he'll be our Norm Sloan.  Hope we didn't play everything good out in one game and it's all uphill from here, but great start nonetheless more or less.    

3)  The Assist/FGM percentage was off the charts.  Never seen a game in recent memory like that.  And they were all legitimate assists, not like a hockey assist.  Scary.  Scary good.  Wow!

4)  Had to do a double take on JB.  Thought he was one of the new guys I didn't recognize.  All that time under water and in the gym during the summer clearly paid off.  With the 2 J's, it doesn't look like we will need both of them to go off every night to win.  That's nice to know.  If those do ever get consistent superstar performances night-in night-out, we'll go 98-0 with a +25 winning spread.  JT was still JT as far as inconsistency.  He stuck to it, though, and finished with a nice game.  Give him credit for plowing through.  He'll get there.  This may be his year.  Looks like JB has thrown down the gauntlet early, though.    

5)  Pritchard's shot looks good.  So does Doogie Houser's.  His looks real good from 3-ville.  

6)  Kabengele looks like he was born to be a Celtic.  At times motivationally crazed like a KG I dare say.  We'll see.  If you're going to get that jacked up for a pre-season game, look out regular season!  Bring it on!

7)  Brogden does fit in seamlessly.  Huge asset added to the mix.  Nice move, Brad.  

Cool  Michael needs to sell the franchise and quit kidding himself as far as being a legit NBA owner goes.  If one game a season makes, Charlotte is soon going to take over for Sacramento as the butt of any and all NBA jokes if they haven't already.  Just being honest.  Nothing against His Airness, but owning a team just ain't his thing.  I'm sure it's the gift that keeps on giving the whole year like the Jelly of the Month Club and looks good on his resume after retiring from the game, but let's get real here.  Charlotte sucks.  Maybe they can turn it around by the 14th when we play them again but I see no hope there.  

That's enough for now.  All the summer crap is over and let's hope that was a statement game made by the entire team that says it's time to lace up and move on.  

Go Celtics!!

db

P.S.  Over the summer, we finally switched to streaming via FUBO and Sling until the lawyers figure out a way to put TBS/TNT on FUBO, but one thing I like immediately about streaming is when you hit record, it records the team, so whenever Boston is playing and whatever network or channel they are playing on and whatever time, it records them.  You don't have to go looking for times and cross-check, search, scroll through a thousand channels, etc.  Now most of the games will be on League Pass and to a lesser degree on TNT, ESPN and NBATV, but trying to find games and recording them on cable are over.  Nice feature.  I hate having to scramble to find where/when our games are once they are off LP.  Yeah, I'm spoiled.                  

Dbrown, Nice Observations here.

I do think that coach Joe’s eyes are more “Son of” Larranaga and don’t think the deer in the headlights apply here. If a resurrected Aunt Esther attended yesterdays game she would have probably pulled him to the side and say “Watchu lookin at you Fish Eyed Fool”!  
Seriously though, He has a lot on his plate but appears pretty confident. Time will tell.

As for Michael, He has made some poor decisions throughout his tenures of management and now ownership.
But I don’t think he should sell the team. We have to consider that he more than likely doesn't have backing or $upport the likes of some of the other owners. His money is considered short compared to the Gilberts and Ballmers of the world.
I would venture to say he needs a fusion from elsewhere to grow his franchise.
If he’s able to accomplish that and then step aside and let others make the key personnel decisions (never been impressed with Kupcheck) i think his franchise will be in better standings, Sell? No. I think its good for the game to have more ex players involved with getting into ownership. The right ones that is.

Last edited by Ktron on Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:07 pm

dboss wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:I think Kabengele and Vonleh are players that won’t make any difference on a team like say Orlando, they are role players that can do some dirty work. Now add Smart, Brogden, JB, JT and Al and all of a sudden their simple games/contributions can go a big way….

Kabengele is on a 2-way contract.  Will he be given a regular contract?  I think he should get one of the regular spots.

Gallinari is out for the year.  Does his roster spot on a 15 man roster go away?  I think it may because Boston got a Disabled Player Exception.  If that is the case we currently have 12 players under contract including Blake.  That leaves 3 open roster spots.  

Will Brad add someone else to complete the roster?  If so what else does this team need?  Another shooter, defender or ball handler?  Will he go with 14 guys to start the season?

dboss,

Gallinari is out for the year.  Does his roster spot on a 15 man roster go away?  I think it may because Boston got a Disabled Player Exception.  If that is the case we currently have 12 players under contract including Blake.  That leaves 3 open roster spots.  

Cut-and-Paste from a Forbes article:

How does Disabled Player Exception work in NBA?
What is a Disabled Player Exception? The Disabled Player Exception is not a roster exception; no extra roster spot is gained. But it is a salary cap exception, awarded to provide extra spending power in the event of significant injury.Jan 31, 2022

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:20 pm

bobheckler wrote:
dboss wrote:

Kabengele is on a 2-way contract.  Will he be given a regular contract?  I think he should get one of the regular spots.

Will Brad add someone else to complete the roster?  If so what else does this team need?  Another shooter, defender or ball handler?  Will he go with 14 guys to start the season?

dboss,

Cut-and-Paste from a Forbes article:

How does Disabled Player Exception work in NBA?
What is a Disabled Player Exception? The Disabled Player Exception is not a roster exception; no extra roster spot is gained. But it is a salary cap exception, awarded to provide extra spending power in the event of significant injury.Jan 31, 2022

Bob

Bob

Great info. So that means 13 on and 2 spots open. Asa
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down