Joe Mazzulla cuts down on practices as Celtics work through hectic portion of schedule

+2
bobc33
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Joe Mazzulla cuts down on practices as Celtics work through hectic portion of schedule Empty Joe Mazzulla cuts down on practices as Celtics work through hectic portion of schedule

Post by bobheckler Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:05 pm

Joe Mazzulla cuts down on practices as Celtics work through hectic portion of schedule

By Gary Washburn Globe Staff,Updated November 25, 2022, 8:22 p.m.

Celtics coach Joe Mazzulla has cut down on practices to give his team ample rest during a hectic schedule.

The Celtics don’t have more than one day off until Dec. 8-9, a stretch that includes two back-to-backs and a two-games-in-three-days against the rival Miami Heat.

Mazzulla said he doesn’t sense the players are tired.

“I feel like they’re fresh physically,” he said. “I feel like they’re fresh mentally. We always have to find ways to get guys rest and steal minutes here are there. I think guys are in a great spot physically and mentally.”

There are times when Mazzulla could squeeze in practices, such as Thanksgiving or Saturday prior to Sunday’s game with Washington, but he hasn’t.

“I think it’s based on the guys, kind of what they need,” Mazzulla said. “The NBA season presents so many opportunities to do different things and you don’t have to practice to practice. There’s a lot of other ways to get better. I think you have to highlight ways you can grow as a team and get better, whether it’s through film, whether it’s through conversation, or a walkthrough, or a day off.

“I think it’s just a matter of feeling what our guys need and putting them in their best situation.”

Focusing on hoop

Jaylen Brown said he has been pulled by a lot of off-court forces, such as the Kyrie Irving issue, and he wants to refocus on the game. Brown has been dealing with the Irving issue as one of the vice presidents in the NBA Players Association. He has also gotten criticism for a Tweet that appeared to express support for Black Israelites who gathered outside of the Barclays Center to support the return of Irving from suspension.

“I’m just focusing more on what’s in front of me,” he said. “There’s been a lot of stuff that’s been going on outside of basketball. Taking care of the ball and helping us win games has been my emphasis right now.”

When asked how he tries to focus solely on basketball, Brown said: “Do the best you can and balance everything, regardless of what you say, some people are going to disagree or try to form an opinion [on your stance]. Just come out and do what I’ve been doing, try to uplift my community, spreading kindness, spreading love, just trying to be the best version of myself with any and everybody around me. That’s what I’ve been since I came into this league and that’s what I am doing to continue to do.”

Award winner

Malcolm Brogdon was presented with the Muhammad Ali Award for Humanity from the Muhammad Ali Center on Nov. 5. Brogdon, 29, has organized programs to provide clean water to countries such as Tanzania. Brogdon’s mother, Kay Adams, accepted the award in his honor during the ceremony in Louisville. Brogdon said he was humbled.

“It’s a huge honor,” he said. “Definitely if not the best, one of the best honors I’ve received. Just to be able to represent Muhammad Ali, in any way, who was an idol of mine is a honor, a blessing. I’m very thankful to have received that award. It’s acknowledgment. It’s a nod to say that you’re doing great work, you’re making an impact, but you have to keep going. You have to continue to impact people with the platform you have, with the resources you have. Now it’s your duty to continue to keep going.”

Layups

The Celtics’ normal pre-game routine was postponed because of the overtime Bruins game, which delayed the transformation of the hockey rink to a basketball floor. When several players hit the floor ready for shooting, there was only one basket stanchion prepared. Mazzulla said the delay had no effect on their preparation . . . Former Celtics guard Leandro Barbosa is a Kings assistant, joining coach Mike Brown after a stint with the Golden State Warriors . . . The Celtics only reported Danilo Gallinari and Robert Williams on their injury report, as Jayson Tatum made it through his ankle sprain to play Wednesday and participated in Friday’s shootaround.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Joe Mazzulla cuts down on practices as Celtics work through hectic portion of schedule Empty Re: Joe Mazzulla cuts down on practices as Celtics work through hectic portion of schedule

Post by bobc33 Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:13 pm

Malcolm Brogdon seems to be a heck of a person doing good things around the world.

Sober sleep seems to be important in the NBA today, more important than practice. A tad different from years ago when a few beers after a game was standard practice.

Back to top Go down

Joe Mazzulla cuts down on practices as Celtics work through hectic portion of schedule Empty Re: Joe Mazzulla cuts down on practices as Celtics work through hectic portion of schedule

Post by dbrown4 Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:03 pm

That's some great work by Brogden.  Most people like Brogden don't want the world to know what they are doing privately, just God.  And sometimes, they are so generous and hjmble, they don't even want God to know. But it is good to hear more is going on with giving than we will ever know.  He seems like a private person simply doing great works for others.  Shaq is another great example we've spoken about before.  Just some great individuals and example setters for us all.  

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:52 pm

Its great to see players getting involved civically. They can make a huge difference.
Wouldn’t quite put Shaq in the same conversation with the Brogdans and Browns but anything thats positive and uplifting makes the community a better place to live.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:34 am

Kudos to Malcolm Brogdon!!! Great on and off the floor. I watched him play for years and always wished he was a Celtic.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:25 pm

Nice move by the Head Coach,and it will pay off more and more as the season progresses. I coached (not at his level) for lots of years and it took me most of those years to be finally able to take some practice days off, and the players really responded way better than I would have ever imagined both mentally and physically.

If you have a veteran team (lie the Cs finally do), taking mental and physical days off is easier, but lots of coaches grew up with never having a day off so many of them still pound the practices on their teams.

Good for Brogdan with this award. I also love it when professional players do so much for people who are not as well off as they are.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down