+3
dbrown4
gunesal
7 posters

Go down

Boston Celtics logo tweak suggestion Empty Boston Celtics logo tweak suggestion

Post by gunesal Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:08 am

Boston Celtics logo tweak suggestion Celtic10
its a time old classic and its my favorite nba team logo, not only because im a celtics fan but because its unique and powerful. But the fact that the smoking pipe being white instead of the same brown as the ball and the cane, because it made of wood, has been bugging me. Dont you agree that it looks more natural. I am not aware if this has ever been brought up or discussed by other people before but im not trying to waste anyones time, its a serious proposal for the authorities. I would love it if this at least made it on google images. I did send it to Celtics fan reltions.

Last edited by gunesal on Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:24 am; edited 2 times in total
gunesal
gunesal

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics logo tweak suggestion Empty Re: Boston Celtics logo tweak suggestion

Post by dbrown4 Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:08 pm

I'm with you. I never noticed that until you mentioned it. Keep it all brown. The "Lucky" sticker on the back of my iPhone has the "white" part. And with a quick check all my other "Lucky" Celtic paraphernalia has the white pipe! I like the full brown pipe.

And it is by far the coolest logo of all!! Now very distant 2nd Place? IMHBAO, I'd have to go with the Heat or Grizzles or new Hornets.

Thanks for bringing this up and for posting!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics logo tweak suggestion Empty Re: Boston Celtics logo tweak suggestion

Post by 112288 Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:43 pm

DO NOT CHANGE THE LUCK OF LUCKY AND THE CELTICS BY CHANGING IT. RED'S BROTHER WAS THE ILLUSTRATOR, SO DO NOT PISS RED OFF!

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:36 am

Hi Gunesal, welcome to the board.  A nice, original first post.  Chip in anytime and feel free to join us on the Game On! thread if that suits you.

I've been a bit put off by the white pipe, which makes no sense in really any universe, myself but I accepted it as "tradition".  I was mindful of Ralph Waldo Emerson's statement that "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" and preferred not to think of myself as such, so I let it go.  But now that you've resurrected it, yeah, it's annoying.

If you look at the Celtics now you rarely see them play in white with green letters.  They ALWAYS played in white at home when Red was alive.  Does that bother him now, I wonder?  In fact, there have been uniforms that don't have white or green in them.  Red must be spinning like a top in his grave, but did that affect our win/loss record while wearing them?  Not unless he was spinning so fast he threw the Earth off its axis and that affected how the ball bounced in Da Gahden.  Personally, I considered those uniforms to be abominations, but apparently "tradition" can be set aside if doing so helps to sell more merchandise.  Is money the only reason why traditions should be shelved?  It shouldn't be.  In fact, that should be one of the last reasons why.  Commerce is about progress, not tradition, so why should tradition bear the brunt of commerce's charge?  It should only if tradition is producing inferior results than the new ways populated by commerce.  

I have a healthy respect for tradition, one cannot be a die-hard, longtime Celtic fan without it, but respect is not the same thing as subservience.  New things become traditions through repetition and new repetitions come from flaunting old traditions.

Forgive my philosophical waxing, I think your "consistency of design" perspective makes sense.  I like it.  It appeals to my attraction to consistency, reliability and predictability.  If one believes in ghosts and spirits then perhaps a seance to commune with Red and his brother to determine their thoughts on the matter might be in order.  I'm willing to go along with whatever they say.  Barring clear direction from them I think we should do as we will.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:44 pm

I guess I am neutral. I never considered the color of the pipe. I just knew that Lucky had a pipe in his mouth. The logo is an exceptionally strong brand. Would changing the white pipe to a brown improve the way the logo looks?

The white pipe is not really an odd color when you consider the white trim around Lucky's derby, his white shirt, whites socks and even the Boston Celtics white lettering. The main color theme is Green and White

Would the Celtics organization be inclined to make an aesthetic change? I doubt that they would.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:29 pm

Welcome Gunesal, I hope you will join us here often.

I believe the reason behind the white pipe is it is supposed to be a traditional Irish clay pipe, which is usually white in color. They are sometimes black as well.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:59 pm

https://www.irishshop.com/clay-pipe.html
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:49 pm

NY Celt is probably correct about t hff e irish white clay pipe. Meerschaum white pipes were popular too.
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:35 am

worcester wrote:NY Celt is probably correct about t hff e irish white clay pipe. Meerschaum white pipes were popular too.

W -

Marry a girl from an Irish family and you learn these things!
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down