Grant Williams gets stitches, has swelling after Joel Embiid head stomp

2 posters

Go down

Grant Williams gets stitches, has swelling after Joel Embiid head stomp Empty Grant Williams gets stitches, has swelling after Joel Embiid head stomp

Post by bobheckler Sat May 06, 2023 2:19 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2023/05/grant-williams-gets-stitches-has-swelling-after-joel-embiid-head-stomp.html

Grant Williams gets stitches, has swelling after Joel Embiid head stomp

Updated: May. 06, 2023, 2:09 p.m.|Published: May. 06, 2023, 1:45 p.m.

By Brian Robb | brobb@masslive.comSouichi Terada | sterada@masslive.com

PHILADELPHIA — One day after taking a scary stomp to the head from Joel Embiid in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals, Grant Williams is feeling a little bit better than expected.

“A swollen nose,” Williams said. “That’s about it and stitches in the mouth. I think it was three or four.”

Williams got the work done by the 76ers dentist after the team’s Game 3 win over the 76ers. However, that’s a far cry what could have been after Williams took the brunt of Embiid’s 300 pound frame to his head in a scrum for a loose ball midway through the fourth quarter. The episode will change how Williams plays on one front when he gets back on the floor for Game 4 on Sunday.

“I thought it would be a smart decision to throw a mouthpiece in there,” Williams said. “My parents have been getting on me for the past three years for not wearing a mouthpiece. Let’s just say last night didn’t help.”

Williams has had a reputation for being one of the toughest and most durable players on the Celtics before Game 3 and earned the praise of his teammates from being able to take the punishment in the win.

“When I saw Grant get his head stepped on by a 300-point individual — to see that live was crazy, seeing that in real time,” Jaylen Brown said. “It was probably the craziest thing I’ve seen on a basketball court.”

“That’s a testament to his character and him being a professional” Jayson Tatum added after game 3. “Staying ready. On off days, Grant is in there playing 5-on-5 with the low-minute guys, and not necessarily knowing when he’s going to play, but just being ready. We talk to him all the time of just keeping your head, we’re going to need you at some point. You’re going to play tonight. Tonight showed that.”

With Rob Williams indicating he doesn’t have any lingering issues with his arm after a hard fall in Game 3, it looks like the Celtics will be back at 100 percent for a pivotal Game 4 battle with the 76ers in Philadelphia on Sunday afternoon.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Grant Williams gets stitches, has swelling after Joel Embiid head stomp Empty Re: Grant Williams gets stitches, has swelling after Joel Embiid head stomp

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun May 07, 2023 7:54 am

Grant really proved his toughness. How many players would have come back from that? The average player would easily be out 2-3 games, and he came back in the same game a la Bird. I hope we resign GWill, he also covers multiple positions and can body up bigs in a Wes Unseld kind of way that no one else on the team can do.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down