Ktron
gyso
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

The Process Empty The Process

Post by bobheckler Mon May 15, 2023 11:58 am

BY JAY HART

Chalk another L up for The Process. That’s 10 now, a decade’s worth for the process that was to get the Philadelphia 76ers back to being championship contenders.

The Process has brought the Sixers to six straight playoff appearances. But it has also brought six early exits, three at the hands of the Boston Celtics, who are simultaneously in the midst of their own process, albeit one without a catchy name but one you can actually trust.

Whereas the Sixers' Process involved tanking in order to stock high draft picks, the Celtics’ process involved trading assets when their value was high in return for more draft picks, no tanking required.

The two processes first collided in 2016. Thanks to the tanking, the Sixers ended up with the No. 1 pick. Thanks to the trading of assets — shipping aging Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce to the Nets for three unprotected first-rounders — the Celtics, fresh off a 48-win season, had the No. 3 pick. The Sixers took Markelle Fultz; the Celtics Jaylen Brown.

The next year, the processes collided once again. Thanks to more tanking, the Sixers ended up with the No. 3 pick, while the Celtics, a 53-win team that reached the Eastern Conference finals, got the No. 1 pick courtesy of the suddenly terrible Nets. With Ben Simmons dangling out there and no interest in him, the Celtics traded that No. 1 pick to … the Sixers, who took Simmons. Two picks later, Boston selected Jayson Tatum, plus added a future first-round pick.

Sunday night, the processes squared off one more time in a Game 7, with a trip to the Eastern Conference finals on the line. Joel Embiid, the first piece of The Process, was there. Fultz wasn’t, and neither was Simmons. James Harden was there in his stead. Tatum was there for Boston. So was Jaylen Brown.

The processes battled, and when it was over, Embiid and Harden had combined for 24 points on 8-for-29 shooting. On the flip side, Tatum and Brown went for 76. Needless to say, the Celtics won by a lot.

By extension, Boston’s still playing, a fifth conference finals appearance in seven seasons. That’s somewhere The Process has yet to bring the Sixers.

Philly owes its fate to, well, does it matter anymore? The Celtics owe theirs to Danny Ainge.

Ainge was a good complementary basketball player in Boston, but as GM he was Larry Bird. The Celtics won the 2008 NBA title with KG, Pierce and Ray Allen. Ainge, who built that core, turned them into Brown and Tatum without missing a beat. And the Celtics, as a result, have made the playoffs in 14 of the past 15 seasons.

Growing up an official fan of hating all things Boston, it’s painful to respect what the Celtics are building. I’m actually rooting for Brown to stay put next season because everyone leaves anymore.

They’re a core of a team that was built on winning, not tanking; on evaluating talent, not putting your finger up to the wind; and on staying one step ahead.

The Process was always a gimmick. It wasn’t ever innovative. Anyone can lose to generate high-valued draft capital. The real test is to do it while still winning. The Celtics have, and they just sent the Sixers home … again.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

The Process Empty Re: The Process

Post by gyso Mon May 15, 2023 1:19 pm

2016, Simons (1) and Brown (3)
2017, Fultz (1) and Tatum (3) with Romeo thrown in for the pick swap.

Just the facts, Ma'am.

I went to a Hornets - 6ers game 4 or 5 years ago.  We sat in the cheap seats my firefighter son-in-law got at a discount.  There were 6er's fans sitting behind us (in cheaper seats!) and they were chanting about "Trust the Process!!" and more.    It was funny and pathetic, at the same time.

Oh, yeah, the Hornets found a way to lose that game.  To the 6ers, during "The Process".  That was sad and pathetic, at the same time.

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon May 15, 2023 1:20 pm

Sorry, I forgot to add:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2016.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2017.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon May 15, 2023 5:43 pm

The results of "The Process" so far for the 76ers:

2022-23: Lost in Round 2

2021-22: Lost in Round 2

2020-21: Lost in Round 2

2019-20: Lost in Round 1

2018-19: Lost in Round 2

2017-18: Lost in Round 2

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Mon May 15, 2023 6:40 pm

I can't help but feel like maybe this is the 26ers karma calling from years of tanking for high draft picks such as:

-Drafting Fultz and overlooking Tatum
-Losing to a Kawhi Leonard Hail Mary
-Ben Simmons stunted his own growth, was grossly overpaid and never panned out
-They neglected to retain Jimmy Butler who has been very successful in MIA
-But perhaps most importantly, perpetually being good but not nearly good enough

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon May 15, 2023 7:53 pm

k_j_88 wrote:I can't help but feel like maybe this is the 26ers karma calling from years of tanking for high draft picks such as:

-But perhaps most importantly, perpetually being good but not nearly good enough

KJ

Hi KJ.  Nice to see you.   Hope all is well (and Dboss is giving you a night off occasionally by babysitting.   Very Happy

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon May 15, 2023 8:15 pm

This writer is pathetic, can’t even get the facts straight

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon May 15, 2023 11:41 pm

I always hough that proccess referred to jerri curls. My grandkids all prefer natural.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon May 15, 2023 11:59 pm

jrleftfoot wrote:I always hough that proccess referred to jerri curls. My grandkids all prefer natural.

No Bro. Back in the day, a “Process” was just an upscale and fancy name for a “Conk” . LOL

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Wed May 17, 2023 12:56 am

Ktron wrote:
jrleftfoot wrote:I always hough that proccess referred to jerri curls. My grandkids all prefer natural.

No Bro. Back in the day, a  “Process” was just an upscale and fancy name for a “Conk” . LOL
                        yeah. I remember now. Grazie
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Wed May 17, 2023 7:37 pm

bobheckler wrote:
k_j_88 wrote:I can't help but feel like maybe this is the 26ers karma calling from years of tanking for high draft picks such as:

KJ

Hi KJ.  Nice to see you.   Hope all is well (and Dboss is giving you a night off occasionally by babysitting.   Very Happy

Bob

Hey BobH,

Great to see you, too. We do have some nights from time to time - it does wonders for sanity Laughing

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri May 19, 2023 2:23 pm

Sixers’ James Harden expected to reunite with Rockets in free agency, sources say

Before hiring Ime Udoka, Houston asked head coaching candidates during the interview process how they would feel about coaching Harden, according to sources.

by Keith Pompey
Published  2 hours ago

CHICAGO — The belief among NBA executives is that James Harden will rejoin the Houston Rockets this summer.

Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta “loves” the 76ers point guard. The franchise expects to reunite with him, sources say. Before the Rockets hired Ime Udoka on April 25, head coaching candidates were asked for their opinion on coaching Harden during the interview process, according to sources.

Houston is positioned to have around $60 million in salary-cap space this offseason. That’s great for Harden, who intends to opt out of his $35.6 million deal for next season with the Sixers and become a free agent.

Sources have said his interest in returning to Houston is mutual and not a ploy to get a lucrative deal out of the Sixers. His mother still lives in the city. He has several business ventures there. And, as one source said, “he’s treated like a god in Houston.”

But the question is: What type of contract are the Rockets, Sixers or any other franchise willing to offer?

Harden could receive a maximum salary of $210 million over four years with the Sixers, who have his Bird rights. He could make up to $201.7 million with another team. But with Harden at 33 years old and prone to struggles in the postseason, it’s unlikely any team would want to max him out for four years.

But if the Sixers do not re-sign Harden, they would be put in a tough spot.

He led the league in assists at 10.7 per game this season, and was by far the Sixers’ best ball handler and facilitator. Not projecting to have salary-cap space available, they would not be able to replace him adequately in free agency.

So the Sixers cannot afford to let Harden walk for nothing, especially considering what they gave up to acquire him from the Brooklyn Nets in a trade on Feb. 10, 2022. Philly surrendered its unprotected first-round pick, which was deferred to June’s draft, in addition to giving up Ben Simmons, Seth Curry, and Andre Drummond.

But Houston will always be a special place for Harden. It’s also a place he frequented several times this season when time permitted.

Harden went from being a sixth man of the year to a 10-time All-Star after the Oklahoma City Thunder traded him to the Rockets on Oct. 27, 2012.

For Harden, playing at Houston’s Toyota Center is different than in any other arena.

He’s one of the Rockets’ all-time best players. He won the 2018 MVP award and numerous other accolades during his nine seasons as a Rocket. Fans are past being upset with him for forcing a trade to Brooklyn on Jan. 13, 2021. He’s still appreciated in the city.

“The love and feelings are mutual,” he said before facing the Rockets in Houston on Dec. 5. “That’s never going to change. Like I said, I still own my home here. A lot of family still lives here. That feeling won’t change. What I meant by the game is obviously there’s no greater win or loss [in Houston compared to other places], but having that family environment around me is a little different.”

Harden averaged 21.0 points and 6.1 rebounds this season in addition to being the first Sixer to win the NBA assists title since Wilt Chamberlain in 1967-68.

He was celebrated for winning two series games against the Celtics in the Eastern Conference semifinals.

He had an epic performance in Game 1 with Joel Embiid sidelined with a sprained right knee ligament. Harden had a game-high 45 points, tying a career playoff high. He also tied a season high with seven three-pointers in the 119-115 victory. Fifteen of his points came in the fourth quarter, including the go-ahead basket with 8.4 seconds left.

In Game 4, Harden had game highs of 42 points, nine assists, and four steals in the 116-115 victory. His wide-open, 24-foot three-pointer in front of the Sixers bench with 19 seconds left was the game-winner to cap his best home game as Sixer.

However, he was criticized for his struggles in Games 6 and 7.

Harden had 13 points on 4-for-16 shooting in the 95-86 Game 6 loss. He followed that with nine points on 3-for-11 shooting along with five turnovers in the 112-88 Game 7 defeat. And Harden failed to score in the fourth quarters of Games 5, 6, and 7 on a combined 0-for-6 shooting.

But that hasn’t deterred the Sixers, who are hopeful but not oblivious about his mutual interest in the Rockets.

“Scenario A would be to bring James back,” Sixers president Daryl Morey said. “Scenario B, if he’s not back, we’ll have to get creative.”

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri May 19, 2023 3:05 pm

I hope, for Damien Lillard's sanity and pride, that he resists the temptation of moving to Philly. I have a ton of respect for that guy, I would hope, if he decides to move, it will be to a classy ownership. My guess is he stays in Portland. Harden is probably hoping for a 3 plus year contract and will be willing to be creative with the Rockets if they are both amicable to this reunion. Good, let him go there. I could not care less. He is on the backside of his career (and I say that tongue in cheek since he loves to be on his backside alot trying to draw ridiculous fouls), He is only going down, I feel. Guys like this will have their "big" games, then take a few nights off. No love here for him.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Fri May 19, 2023 4:02 pm

I don’t think Philly lacks class they’re just plain dumb as rocks.

Other than their gate receipts being down and his jersey being hung in every strip club in Houston, I cannot see why Houston would want Harden back.

They have some good young players and Harden at this point doesn't give a damn about winning.
I don’t understand the point n bringing his Jelly belly back.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Fri May 19, 2023 4:28 pm

Pretty much sums it up-

The Process Img_3418
The Process Img_3416
The Process Img_3417

The Process Img_3419

Ktron

Back to top Go down