PART 2 The Celtics will have some tough financial decisions to make if they keep the Jays together.

4 posters

Go down

PART 2  The Celtics will have some tough financial decisions to make if they keep the Jays together. Empty PART 2 The Celtics will have some tough financial decisions to make if they keep the Jays together.

Post by 112288 Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:44 pm

PART 2 - The Celtics will have some tough financial decisions to make if they keep the Jays together.

NBC SPORTS BOSTON By Chris Forsberg, Celtics Insider • Published 2 hours ago • Updated 2 hours ago

In the second episode of “Cooking Up a New CBA with Chris Forsberg”, we look at how much of the Celtics salary “pie” will be committed to Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum if they were to sign super-max contract extensions in the next two off-seasons.

On Monday, we laid out how the NBA's new collective bargaining agreement, with its draconian penalties for teams exceeding a certain spending threshold, could force the Boston Celtics to alter their roster-building strategy.

Now, it's time to provide examples.

For the purposes of illustrating the challenges in roster construction with both Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum eventually on supermax deals, let’s do a sample roster build for the upcoming 2023-24 season. But first, a disclaimer: All salary numbers for future seasons are estimates -- especially those of Tatum and Brown, whose salaries will be based on 35 percent of wherever the salary cap lands in two years. (The NBA typically announces the following year's salary cap and tax line in late June after final accounting on this season is complete.)

FORSBERGS VIDEO EXPLAINATIONS

HTTPS://WWW.NBCSPORTSBOSTON.COM/NBA/BOSTON-CELTICS/NEW-CBA-WITH-FORSBERG-HOW-TAX-PENALTIES-COULD-CHALLENGE-CELTICS-FRONT-OFFICE/534680/

HTTPS://WWW.NBCSPORTSBOSTON.COM/NBA/BOSTON-CELTICS/CELTICS-VIDEOS/THE-NEW-CBA-WITH-FORSBERG-HOW-MUCH-IS-LEFT-IF-THE-JAYS-ARE-SUPER-MAXED/534921/

New CBA With Forsberg: How tax penalties could challenge Celtics' front office

Let's get into the exercise, which assumes the following happens in the summer of 2023:

• Jaylen Brown inks a supermax extension (five years, $295 million, or 35 percent of the salary cap).

• The Celtics re-sign soon-to-be restricted free agent Grant Williams on a four-year, $52 million deal (flat rate of $13 million per season to ease
        tax burdens in later years).

• Danilo Gallinari triggers his player option ($6.8 million).

• The Celtics trigger their team option on Mike Muscala ($3.5 million)

• The Celtics sign a veteran center (maybe Blake Griffin is retained?) on a 1-year veteran minimum deal.

• The Celtics sign their No. 35 pick using the new rookie-scale exception available for second-rounders in the new CBA.

In this extremely "run it back!" scenario, the Celtics end up with a very familiar looking 15-man roster that costs $181 million, or already $19 million over the tax line. They’re looking at another hefty tax bill (roughly $40 million) and simply banking on being less inconsistent than they were a year ago.

The Celtics already would be a second-apron team, though the league’s decision to phase in the penalties attached to that designation could help entice Boston to consider splurging for the 2023-24 season. Alas, that brings repeater issues into play, which could really sting by the time the Jays’ new deals kick in.

All of which could entice Boston to entertain the idea of trading a high-priced guard (Marcus Smart, Derrick White or Malcolm Brogdon) now, potentially filling its frontcourt need at a lesser salary and freeing playing time for Pritchard. If that doesn’t happen, Pritchard likely needs to be moved and maybe Boston considers cutting a little cost by carrying 2022 draft pick J.D. Davison as a fourth guard.

But the point here is this: Running it back is still costly, even with the Jays still on bargain deals, and the team will be scrambling to cut costs in future years.

Look ahead to 2024-25, when the first year of Brown’s contract kicks in at 35 percent of a a projected $143 million cap. Boston would be committed to roughly $186 million with five roster spots still to be filled. Boston essentially would be a second-apron team even if it filled out its roster with minimum signings.

Something has to give, sooner than later. Maybe that means simply moving on from Grant Williams this summer. But if you’re re-signing him, then it feels like one of the high-priced guard trio has to be moved no later than the offseason before the 2024-25 campaign. And that’s not even taking into account the possibility of an early White extension that could spike his number that same summer.

By 2025-26, when Brown and Tatum could be making a combined $109 million and eating up 70 percent of the cap, it gets even harder to make the math work.

Even with only Smart, Williams, Williams III, and the No. 35 pick on the roster, the Celtics would still be over the cap and roughly $31 million away from the second apron line — with a whopping nine (NINE!) spots to fill.

If that’s not enough, luxury tax rates repeater rates spike for the 2025-26 campaign, which means Boston has to think hard about ways to get below the cap in seasons before the Jays’ deals kick in.

Long story short: Brad Stevens has his work cut out for him over the next two years, with some potentially difficult decisions in his near future.

This article tagged under:Chris ForsbergCeltics offseason

Back to top Go down

PART 2  The Celtics will have some tough financial decisions to make if they keep the Jays together. Empty Re: PART 2 The Celtics will have some tough financial decisions to make if they keep the Jays together.

Post by worcester Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:10 pm

112288 - Early on I raised the issue of the salary cap and contracts of the two J's - and got hammered. I caved and said, "What the hell - let the billionaire owners pony up." I wish they would or could. But alas, financial realities will probably start to crush our basketball fantasies, and salary cap considerations will come into play.

When they do I'll say "Don't blame me. It was 112288 who cursed us with a grownup view of reality. I'm still a kid playing Atari."
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

PART 2  The Celtics will have some tough financial decisions to make if they keep the Jays together. Empty Re: PART 2 The Celtics will have some tough financial decisions to make if they keep the Jays together.

Post by 112288 Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:21 pm

worcester wrote:112288 - Early on I raised the issue of the salary cap and contracts of the two J's - and got hammered. I caved and said, "What the hell - let the billionaire owners pony up." I wish they would or could. But alas, financial realities will probably start to crush our basketball fantasies, and salary cap considerations  will come into play.

When they do I'll say "Don't blame me. It was 112288 who cursed us with a grownup view of reality. I'm still a kid playing Atari."

Worcester,

LOL You had me in tears! That was priceless!

But the stark reality is we are navigating in a shark infested financial structure and if not careful, we can destroy everything over the last 8 + years we carefully constructed. It now brings into play a partnersip of Ownership and MaxPlayers to structure something together to build a winning team. When I talk about partnership I mean: 1) The player(s) take less then max for 5 years, and 2) the player(s) now have a greater say on who we trade for or bring in as free agents!

Interesting times to say the least!

PART 2  The Celtics will have some tough financial decisions to make if they keep the Jays together. 1f602

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:40 pm

A very grownup suggestion 112288. I wouldn't be surprised if the J's would be ok with that, but their agents - who rake off 10% of the gross, would probably fight like hell against it. The CBA probably has a clause that restricts players from getting a % of ownership in the team, but in my ideal world, players would somehow be able to get a long-term piece of the pie in lieu of salary. That might help them out tax wise. When Dame says "Obviously Miami.," he may be thinking of more than being with his bro's. He may be aware the Florida has no state income tax. I think NY state has a 7% tax and NYC has a heft tax too. What's the Massachusetts tax burden? Canada's is steep. That I know.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:46 pm

Shhhh, the grownups are talking.

Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:13 pm

The only way I see players taking less is if the winning will raise their profile and hence, endorsements earning.

Some of Forsberg’s numbers are off as there is talk that the tax levels will be higher.

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:28 pm

prakash wrote:The only way I see players taking less is if the winning will raise their profile and hence, endorsements earning.

Some of Forsberg’s numbers are off as there is talk that the tax levels will be higher.

Once the league closes it's books for the season and they count all the beans, they will announce the salary cap, the apron, the second apron (the one Hobbits use for second breakfast?), etc., and then we can make some projections. Until then, all numbers are someone's guess.

From what I've read, they haven't finalized the CBA yet.

These articles are interesting, but IMO, they are a week or two premature. They are certainly no reason to go ALL CAPS!!! on.

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:33 pm

gyso wrote:
prakash wrote:The only way I see players taking less is if the winning will raise their profile and hence, endorsements earning.

Once the league closes it's books for the season and they count all the beans, they will announce the salary cap, the apron, the second apron  (the one Hobbits use for second breakfast?), etc., and then we can make some projections.  Until then, all numbers are someone's guess.

These articles are interesting, but IMO, they are a week or two premature.  They are certainly no reason to go ALL CAPS!!! on.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN “ALL CAPS ON!” I WAS NOT ALL CAPS ON. YES, I WAS NOT ALL LOWER CASE EITHER.

but then we are too polite here and perhaps, all caps on may be a good way to have some fun here.

🙂🙂

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:02 pm

prakash wrote:
gyso wrote:

Once the league closes it's books for the season and they count all the beans, they will announce the salary cap, the apron, the second apron  (the one Hobbits use for second breakfast?), etc., and then we can make some projections.  Until then, all numbers are someone's guess.

These articles are interesting, but IMO, they are a week or two premature.  They are certainly no reason to go ALL CAPS!!! on.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN “ALL CAPS ON!”  I WAS NOT ALL CAPS ON. YES, I WAS NOT ALL LOWER CASE EITHER.

but then we are too polite here and perhaps, all caps on may be a good way to have some fun here.

🙂🙂

PART 2  The Celtics will have some tough financial decisions to make if they keep the Jays together. 270c

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down