Post Game - Celtics vs. Knicks - Monday, November 13 (W)

+5
bobheckler
cowens/oldschool
dbrown4
prakash
gyso
9 posters

Go down

Post Game - Celtics vs. Knicks - Monday, November 13 (W) Empty Post Game - Celtics vs. Knicks - Monday, November 13 (W)

Post by gyso Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:38 pm

Celtics-Knicks takeaways: Tatum catches fire in fourth, C's win third straight

https://sports.yahoo.com/celtics-knicks-takeaways-tatum-catches-032416766.html

Justin Leger
Mon, Nov 13, 2023, 10:24 PM EST·4 min read

Post Game - Celtics vs. Knicks - Monday, November 13 (W) Scree424

Celtics-Knicks takeaways: Tatum catches fire in fourth, C's win third straight originally appeared on NBC Sports Boston

Three Key Storylines

Jayson Tatum takes over
Sam Hauser can't miss
Jrue Holiday makes history

The Boston Celtics earned their third consecutive victory while snapping the New York Knicks' three-game win streak on Monday night.

For the most part, it was an entertaining, back-and-forth affair between the Eastern Conference rivals at TD Garden. The Knicks, despite the absence of RJ Barrett (migraine) and it being the second night of a back-to-back, looked like the more energized team in the first half as they took an eight-point lead into the final 1:15 of the second quarter. That's when the momentum shifted in the Celtics' favor.

The C's closed the first half on a 9-2 run to cut the deficit to one. Jaylen Brown put the exclamation point on the impressive finish to the second quarter with a buzzer-beater 3-pointer.

Boston pulled away in a hard-fought second half -- which included a 17-4 Celtics run in the fourth quarter -- to send the TD Garden crowd home happy with a 114-98 win.

Jayson Tatum (35 points), Jaylen Brown (22 points), and Kristaps Porzingis (21 points) each crossed the 20-point threshold for the second consecutive game. Jalen Brunson (26 points) and Julius Randle (25 points) led the Knicks in the scoring column.

Next up for the C's (8-2) is a trip to Philadelphia to take on the 76ers (8-1) on Wednesday night. First, here are our takeaways from Monday's triumph.

Jayson Tatum: The closer

The Knicks couldn't keep Tatum quiet for long.

The Celtics superstar started the night 0-for-6 from 3-point range and was largely held in check by New York throughout the first half. After halftime, Tatum flipped a switch.

Tatum hit four of his next five shots from deep and almost single-handedly gave the Celtics a commanding lead in the fourth quarter. He tallied 23 second-half points, including 17 in the dominant fourth.

Tatum has now scored at least 30 points in six of the Celtics' 10 games this season. His 35 points were a season-high, though it probably won't be long before the MVP candidate tops that mark.

Sam Hauser becoming more than just a shooter  [My comment: Yeah, get Mannix to admit that!!]

To say Hauser has found his groove after his slow start to the season would be a massive understatement. He carried the momentum from Saturday's strong performance into Monday's action.

Hauser started 3-for-3 from 3-point range to stay red-hot in November. He ended up 4-of-6 from beyond the arc to finish with 12 points in 21 minutes, making him now 25-for-44 (56.8 percent) from beyond the arc this month.

OH MY 😳

When Tatum's shots weren't falling in the first half, it was Hauser picking up the slack. But this season, Hauser's value hasn't been limited to his shooting. He has also made an impact with his defense.

Hauser has looked like a legitimate 3-and-D wing through the Celtics' first 10 games of the campaign. His improved rebounding and defense were on display throughout Monday's win, especially in the first half when he notched three quick boards. He finished with four rebounds.

Jrue Holiday joins elite company

Holiday enjoyed another rock-solid all-around performance in Monday's win and he made some history in the process.

The veteran guard became the 147th player in NBA history to tally 15,000 career points. He's one of 19 active players who have accomplished the feat.

Holiday crossed the 15,000-point threshold with this 3-pointer at the end of the third quarter:

In addition, Holiday became only the ninth active player with 15,000 career points and 5,000 assists. He joins LeBron James, James Harden, Russell Westbrook, Stephen Curry, Chris Paul, Damian Lillard, Kyle Lowry, and Mike Conley in that elite category.

Holiday finished with 14 points on 5-of-9 shooting (3-5 3-PT) to go with seven rebounds and two assists.

Back to top Go down

Post Game - Celtics vs. Knicks - Monday, November 13 (W) Empty Re: Post Game - Celtics vs. Knicks - Monday, November 13 (W)

Post by gyso Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:46 pm

From another perspective:

Knicks takeaways from Monday's 114-98 loss to Celtics, including too much Jayson Tatum in crunch time

https://sports.yahoo.com/knicks-takeaways-mondays-114-98-031450872.html

David Vertsberger
Mon, Nov 13, 2023, 10:14 PM EST·3 min read

Post Game - Celtics vs. Knicks - Monday, November 13 (W) Scree426

Down a starter and on the second night of a back-to-back, the Knicks fell 114-98 to their rival Boston Celtics. Jayson Tatum closed out what was mostly a tight affair en route to 35 points, six rebounds and seven assists on 13-of-23 shooting from the field.

Jalen Brunson led the way for New York with 26 points on 10-of-21 shooting, followed by Julius Randle with 25 points on 7-of-19. Josh Hart and Quentin Grimes had 16 and 12 points respectively, while Immanuel Quickley struggled with seven points on 1-of-10 shooting.

Jaylen Brown chipped in 22 points for Boston, while Kristaps Porzingis totaled 21. RJ Barrett was a late scratch due to migraines.

Here are the takeaways...

- Despite missing their lead scorer and facing the third-best defense in the early season, the Knicks looked poised offensively out of the gates. Their two other stars, Brunson and Randle, got off to hot starts in Barrett's absence.

Brunson manipulated the pick-and-roll to his liking, burying three in-between shots for six quick points, while Randle knocked down a three and aggressively got into the paint. They had 11 of Knicks' first 15 as they led by one at the media timeout.

- Unfortunately, the bench struggled to keep pace as Quickley went 0-for-5 to start, and Boston took a 25-24 lead at the end of one.

- Randle went after it to start the second, scoring a quick five capped by a tough and-1 floater down the baseline over Al Horford. The Knicks had a chance to break things open before a shot-clock-beating deep three from Sam Hauser cut the New York lead to 37-32 midway through the period.

- The Knicks kept fighting defensively and riding their stars offensively, as Brunson and Randle had 15 and 14 points, respectively, at halftime. Back-to-back Randle and Grimes threes gave the Knicks some room in the closing minutes of the half, but a chaotic last-minute Boston run tightened the game to 53-52 New York at the half.

- An early third quarter 9-3 Celtics run helped them go up 63-59 midway through the quarter, as Boston started making New York feel their three-point threat. The Celtics hit five in the period as Porzingis and Tatum took command with their offensive talents. The former Knick had 21 and Tatum had 18 after three, as Boston stormed ahead 84-76.

- Hart, starting for Barrett, pulled out an all-time streetball move early in the fourth. After getting caught in the air out of the corner with Jrue Holiday draped on him, Hart hung and threw the ball off Holiday's back, getting it back and drilling the corner three.

Despite the highlight, the Knicks lost their earlier spark come the final frame. Boston ground them down defensively and New York couldn't contain their three-point assault.

- The Celtics took a double-digit lead multiple times before the midway point, but took over behind Tatum from there. A shifty euro-step divided two Knicks for an easy layup, which was followed up by back-to-back dagger isolation threes over Mitchell Robinson and Randle.

Boston went up 16 and didn't look back from there.

Highlights

What's next

The Knicks travel to Atlanta to take on the Hawks on Wednesday, Nov. 15 at 7:30 p.m.

Back to top Go down

Post Game - Celtics vs. Knicks - Monday, November 13 (W) Empty Re: Post Game - Celtics vs. Knicks - Monday, November 13 (W)

Post by prakash Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:43 pm

Such a pleasing win against a hard nosed team!

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:45 am

We seem to have something that we have not had in recent years.  When we are down, we have a great ability and the fortitude to close the gap very quickly.  This is because of the number of offensive and defensive weapons we have at our disposal.  We've had some of one and some of the other over the last 5-6 years but never both at the same time at this level.    

We saw this last night to end the 2nd quarter and we saw it against PHI last week, almost sending the game to OT, which we would have won by 15.  The major difference between these two games was WHEN it happened.  Against PHI, it was late in the game down 15 with 3 minutes left.  Unfortunately, it was too little too late and we lost the game to a contender.  Can't do that.  Last night, it was at the end of the 2nd quarter.  That had a much better outcome.  

I like all of us want the Celtics to come out each night, score the first basket, never look back, lead wire-to-wire and win by 32 points each night no matter who the competition is.  But since that hasn't happened since the dawn of the league, we have to settle for come what may.

Like I've said in other threads, the table is set but not everyone has taken a seat.  IMHBAO, 6 are clear, JT, JB KP, JH, DW and SH.  Al and Pritch are taking their seat but Coach Joe is still holding the chair for both of them and can use the old pull the chair gag at anytime as of right now based on the following.  Al has a high +/- but sucking wind at everything else on the scoring line.  Pritch is doing everything else good but scoring consistently.

But you have to ask is this the proper mix?  Even though the bench isn't scoring lights out they aren't losing the lead as much as they did in that preseason game where they were up by 38 to start the 4th and then only won by 19 or 18.  

The bench last night was positive on the +/- scale.  Not like the starters +/- but positive.  That's come a long way.  I won't pass judgment until after tomorrow night's game but that's quite a move over one month for the bench.  The Knicks are no joke.  And we haven't even played them at Full Tilt.

Starters have really come together quickly.  This is beginning to remind me of the 80's but with WAY more game-to-game coverage and no tape delays!!   Ahhhh, the good old days!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:24 am

Tatum looked like the real deal closing the game, just heard on NBA TV he is at an all time high from 2 pt FG% at over 60%. The hard work he put in his post game this off season is really showing. He is obviously also a much stronger driver than years before. Zinger and Jaylen are the perfect 2nd and 3rd options. Hauser hitting 3’s also adds so much. Love seeing Pritch press and attack defensively, the little guy has so much dog in him. All these core guys are 25-28.

Knicks actually played really well and was a back and forth game of runs the whole game. Randle is a load, a much better rebounder than Zion and can actually get to and play hard in the playoffs. Quickley usually has good moments against us, our perimeter defenders smothered him the whole game. We have such a fun team to watch both ends. To have a unicorn like Zinger paired with wings like J’s and see them work, improvise and move the ball and play to their strengths and dunk alot sure is fun. Also gotta love how versatile the defense is, seeing Jaylen pressing on a pg and Jrue covering 4’s and it works shows how unique this team is and the coaches are open to things, not holding the players back.

Post game post up post game, that’s one of the biggest differences in this years team to last years team. I’ve been begging the team to really post up more for years, knew the J’s had the talent to do it. Now it’s really a staple in the offense. I’ve read Sam Casell is responsible for getting that ingrained in the offense this year. Teams don’t have the personnel to combat our best players in the post. What I also love about the post up, our top guys are so good at it and it gets the other team in foul trouble right away.

Come on Kuminga, Brandon Ingram, Kawhi, Paul George, Jimmy Butler….come on, any great wing want to be’s. Let’s see how you do against the J’s, we’re coming after you mofokers!!! Bring it on!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:45 am

cowens/oldschool,

Love the taunting! We are going to lock some big names up ala KD/BKN playoffs a couple of years ago. Let's get through Wednesday first. I need to see something better than I saw a week ago. i.e. a win for one! If we lose again, we've got a problem. I just want this team steamrolling. No problems.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:46 am

Forgot to give ex Celtic coach Thibs any props, he’s got that team playing very tough and very well. Mitchell Robinson and Randle are a load in the the paint and they have alot of very good perimeter players. They would have been even better if RJ Barett played, as he’s the only bonafide wing that can actually match up physicality with the J’s and has been playing very well this year. Knicks have a very good deep team, they will be a good match up every game with us.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:51 am

dbrown4 wrote:cowens/oldschool,

Love the taunting!  We are going to lock some big names up ala KD/BKN playoffs a couple of years ago.  Let's get through Wednesday first.  I need to see something better than I saw a week ago.  i.e. a win for one!  If we lose again, we've got a problem.  I just want this team steamrolling.  No problems.    

db

Oh thanks dbrown forgot to mention Durant and Luka, we will have plenty of defenders ready to after that string bean, Durant too.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:09 am

Today was an early travel day for me and I couldn't watch the game last night.

Hauser is now 47.5% from 3 on the season.

27 assists on 40fgm is really good.

Our next game is another away at Philly? When do we start getting some home cooking against them?

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:37 am

bobh,

As soon as we beat the crap out of them tomorrow!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:57 am

After peeling myself off the ceiling following the Bills game, I couldn't sleep. Happens when your blood pressure skyrockets and your brain blows out of your ears.

So once I stopped sobbing and hung up from the emergency grief counseling line I watched the recording of last night's game. The counselors did tell me that while there is no reasonable explanation for what I had just witnessed it does not mean the Bills are directly trying to destroy my mental well-being. I think I may apply for their Offensive Coordinator's job that just opened up, however. Penn State and the Bills. My two teams fire their offensive coordinators within a day of each other. Pattern? Losing to Michigan is one thing, but the Broncos? On a penalty for 12 men on the field? I know, get ahold of myself...

OK, The Celtics. Thankfully that effort against a determined Knicks squad made me feel better. Jayson Tatum is by far the straw that stirs the drink for this team IMO. The team defense in the 2nd half was great to see. No let up in effort. Porzingis was an incredibly efficient scorer and Brown made nice contributions with some assists and boards as well as scoring. The bench was a short rotation and all three, Horford, Pritchard and Hauser, looked like mid-season form. Hauser is surprising me on both ends of the court. I hope it continues. We need someone to become the unexpected bench player to step into the rotation and give us depth. If Hauser can be part of that, we will be in really good shape.

I wonder if Pritchard or Hauser can run the football through the gaps effectively... Nah, never mind...
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:17 pm

I usually try to focus on bench players and what the Celtics need to do to improve, but I have to talk up JT today.

The guy is a true superstar. He is playing at such a high level. Every aspect of his game has improved. The threes he hit last night were just ridiculous, and his handle is smooth and effortless. (I wish Jaylen had his handle). He also has been making the right pass almost every time. As unstoppable as he is offensively, his rebounding and defense is also superb. He is just a pleasure to watch.

The knicks are a tough pesky team. This was not an easy game. It was a very good win.

Now it is on to Philly. This should an interesting game. I really want to see how Maxey performs against Holiday and D White. I think they will clamp down on him. It should be interesting.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:21 pm

We know Boston can score the basketball but last night's game was about how well they defended.  The Celtics handed the Knicks their worse loss of the season by 16 points. that was the Kicks first double digit loss (previous losses were by 4, 9, 6, and 5 points)

The Celtics defense was so engaged that they forced the Knicks into 4 shot clock violations.  That is an amazing stat.  The Knicks won the 2nd QTR by 2 (29-27)  The Celtis won the other 3 quarters and really put the screws to them in the 2nd half with a 32-23 3rd QTR followed by a close em' out 30-22 4th QTR.

CJ only went with an 8 man rotation which was surprising but that group played excellent basketball.  It appears to me that Joe wants to have his top eight clicking on all cylinders.    The more that they play together the better they will play together.  I still fully expect them to expand their everyday rotation as the season progresses.

JT with a signature game cemented in the 4th QTR as he demolished the Knicks defense in every which way imaginable.  JB and KP had strong nights on both ends.  Jrue hit the 15K scoring mark and Sam Hauser continues to knock down open looks from deep.  His spacing looks great as he continues to move to open areas and does not hesitate to shoot the rock.  PP seems to be regaining his swag a bit.  

At 8-2 the Celtics are off to a great first 10 games start and they lead the league in point differential at 13.7.  That is my most favorite stat because it really measures how much better they are than the competition.

The Celtics are one game above last year's pace (7-3) however the Celtics went on a 9 game winning streak beginning with game 8 through game 16.

The Celtics have a tough road schedule coming up where they will play 5 out of 6 on the road plus a home game vs the Bucks.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:41 pm

Dboss I’ve mentioned this before but it is worth repeating. You have the cutest grandkids!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down