"Truck was full of dead deer and empty bottles of Jack Daniels" - Bill Walton

3 posters

Go down

"Truck was full of dead deer and empty bottles of Jack Daniels" - Bill Walton Empty "Truck was full of dead deer and empty bottles of Jack Daniels" - Bill Walton

Post by NYCelt Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:41 pm

This one was posted to the Basketball Network recently. I always enjoy a good Bill Walton story and could not resist re-posting this tale about his visit to Larry Bird's home following the '86 title.

"Truck was full of dead deer and empty bottles of Jack Daniels" - After winning the championship in '86 Bill Walton travelled to French Lick with Larry Bird

Big Red took a souvenir from his insane French Lick trip.

YAKSHPAT BHARGAVADEC 9, 2023

In the heart of Indiana lies the quaint town of French Lick, where Larry Bird spent his formative years. Despite the town's unhurried pace, encounters with Boston Celtics players like Rick Robey and Chris Ford were a regular occurrence for the residents.

The bond between French Lick and Celtics players reached a celebratory peak when, following the team's championship triumph in 1986, Bill Walton graced the town for a quick celebration.

Having played basketball at UCLA, Big Red was accustomed to a lifestyle different from the traditional lives in this town. When he visited Bird's residence, Walton was starstruck as he encountered the unique and distinct lifestyle of the town.

Bill on witnessing French Lick in a nutshell

In an interview in 1997, Walton told Sports Illustrated about his particular trip and stated how it left a lasting impression in his mind.

"I'll never forget that trip," Walton said. "The sun was just coming up, and we're sitting in Larry's house. His mom was cooking us breakfast. Then all of a sudden, his buddies pull in, back from a hunting trip. The back of the truck was full of dead deer and empty bottles of Jack Daniels. That's French Lick in a nutshell."

Before leaving the town, Walton made sure to take a tangible memory of French Lick. To do this, he knelt, scooped up some soil from the front yard, and carefully stored it in a jar. Upon reaching San Diego, the former UCLA Bruin sprinkled the symbolic dirt in his backyard, ensuring he continued embodying and living that unique experience.

Walton had every reason to celebrate the '86 championship

Since joining the league in 1974, Walton grappled with injuries that often sidelined him and overshadowed his dominance as a big man. However, driven by his longstanding desire to play for the Celtics, he saw his wish fulfilled in a standout season.

Walton not only played 80 games, a rare feat in his career, but he also did so as a vital member of the Celtics, earning the coveted Sixth Man of the Year award.

Most importantly, his impactful presence played a pivotal role in the Celtics' success, particularly in the NBA Finals, where they successfully contained the imposing Twin Tower duo of the Houston Rockets - Hakeem Olajuwon and Ralph Sampson.

Though Bill struggled to replicate the same level of performance for Boston in the following years due to continuous injuries, it is safe to say that Walton truly deserved every bit of that trip to French Lick in '86.

https://www.basketballnetwork.net/old-school/after-winning-the-championship-in-86-bill-walton-travelled-to-french-lick-with-larry-bird
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

"Truck was full of dead deer and empty bottles of Jack Daniels" - Bill Walton Empty Re: "Truck was full of dead deer and empty bottles of Jack Daniels" - Bill Walton

Post by bobc33 Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:57 am

So great to hear Walton stories, one of my all time favorites!

The recent 30 for 30 four part series on Bill Walton was absolutely superb. I highly recommend it.

Back to top Go down

"Truck was full of dead deer and empty bottles of Jack Daniels" - Bill Walton Empty Re: "Truck was full of dead deer and empty bottles of Jack Daniels" - Bill Walton

Post by dbrown4 Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:02 pm

Yes it was, bobc33. I have never seen a poorly done 30 for 30. Each are superb and so was that one on Bill Walton to which you refer. Each time I see a new one, it out does the last one I saw! It really is amazing!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down