Post Game - Celtics vs. Detroit Pistons - Monday, March 18 (W)

+2
bobheckler
gyso
6 posters

Go down

Post Game - Celtics vs. Detroit Pistons - Monday, March 18 (W) Empty Post Game - Celtics vs. Detroit Pistons - Monday, March 18 (W)

Post by gyso Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:42 pm

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401585612

Post Game - Celtics vs. Detroit Pistons - Monday, March 18 (W) Box_s189
Post Game - Celtics vs. Detroit Pistons - Monday, March 18 (W) Box_s190
Post Game - Celtics vs. Detroit Pistons - Monday, March 18 (W) Box_s191

Back to top Go down

Post Game - Celtics vs. Detroit Pistons - Monday, March 18 (W) Empty Re: Post Game - Celtics vs. Detroit Pistons - Monday, March 18 (W)

Post by gyso Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:43 pm

Post Game - Celtics vs. Detroit Pistons - Monday, March 18 (W) Game_f69

Back to top Go down

Post Game - Celtics vs. Detroit Pistons - Monday, March 18 (W) Empty Re: Post Game - Celtics vs. Detroit Pistons - Monday, March 18 (W)

Post by gyso Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:48 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:49 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:18 pm

Celtics-Pistons takeaways: White notches first triple-double in C's win

https://sports.yahoo.com/celtics-pistons-takeaways-white-notches-015849107.html

Justin Leger
Mon, Mar 18, 2024, 9:58 PM EDT·4 min read

Post Game - Celtics vs. Detroit Pistons - Monday, March 18 (W) Scree510

Celtics-Pistons takeaways: White notches first triple-double in C's win originally appeared on NBC Sports Boston

Three Key Storylines

Derrick White notches first career triple-double
Payton Pritchard taking advantage of playing time
No rust for Kristaps Porzingis

The Boston Celtics took down the Detroit Pistons for their sixth consecutive victory Monday night at TD Garden.

They kept the streak going despite missing Jayson Tatum (right ankle impingement), Jrue Holiday (right shoulder contusion), Al Horford (left big toe sprain), and Sam Hauser (left ankle sprain). Luke Kornet and Payton Pritchard started in place of Tatum and Holiday.

While short-handed, Boston did get Kristaps Porzingis back in the lineup after a five-game absence. Jaylen Brown also returned after missing Sunday's win over the Washington Wizards.

After a tightly contested first quarter, the Celtics took a 13-point lead into the half and put on cruise control. They led by as many as 29 points in their 119-94 win to improve to a league-best 10-2 on the second night of back-to-backs this season. They've led by 20 or more points in 13 of their last 15 games.

Brown dropped a game-high 31 points and Pritchard wasn't far behind with 23 of his own. Derrick White and Porzingis added added 22 and 20, respectively.

For the Pistons, it was Jaden Ivey (21 points) doing most of the damage.

The Celtics (54-14) will host the second-place Milwaukee Bucks (44-24) in a marquee Wednesday night matchup. First, here are three takeaways from Monday's game.

Derrick White notches first triple-double

It was only a matter of time until Derrick White logged his first career triple-double. The versatile C's guard has done a bit of everything to help Boston win throughout his two-and-a-half years with the team.

White nearly accomplished the feat in the first half of Monday's matchup. He logged 17 points, seven assists, and seven rebounds while shooting 5-of-10 from 3-point range through the first two quarters. He made more 3s than the entire Pistons team (4) did in the first half.

White slowed down in the second half, but he finally earned his first triple-double with 22 points (8-20 FG, 6-12 3-PT), 10 rebounds, and 10 assists. He also tallied two steals and a block.

It's likely the first of several triple-doubles for White, who excels as a scorer, playmaker, and defender. Next on his checklist is a championship banner, followed by his first All-Star nod.

Payton Pritchard taking advantage of playing time

Pritchard made it clear last season that he wanted an expanded role. For a while, it looked like he might be traded to create a larger opportunity for him elsewhere.

Fortunately for the Celtics, Pritchard stuck around and has settled into his role as a difference-maker off the bench. On Monday though, he showed what he can do in a starting role.

Pritchard went off for 23 points while shooting 5-of-9 from deep (8-14 FG). The 26-year-old also showed off his playmaking ability for the second straight night, dishing seven assists after racking up 13 against Washington.

Whenever he's been called upon, Pritchard has risen to the occasion. That bodes well for the Oregon product as head coach Joe Mazzulla ponders the best way to utilize him come playoff time.

No rust for Kristaps Porzingis

Porzingis returned to the Celtics starting lineup after missing the last five games due to a right hamstring strain. The Latvian big man didn't miss a beat, scoring eight of Boston's first 12 points. He drilled a pair of 3-pointers and also recorded five rebounds in the opening frame.

Porzingis hopped onto the exercise bike and missed the entire second quarter. It wasn't a cause for concern as he returned for the second half and picked up where he left off.

"The Unicorn" ended up with 20 points (7-14 FG, 5-9 3-PT), eight rebounds, an assist, a block, and a steal in 21 minutes. He appeared to be fully healthy, which is great news heading into Wednesday's must-see matchup against Giannis Antetokounmpo and the Bucks.

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:24 pm

From another perspective:

Pistons vs. Celtics final score: Shorthanded Pistons demolished in Boston

https://www.detroitbadboys.com/2024/3/18/24105448/pistons-vs-celtics-final-score-shorthanded-pistons-demolished-in-boston-nba

No Cade. No Fontecchio. Did you expect anything less?

By Brady Fredericksen@Brady_Fred  Mar 18, 2024, 9:35pm EDT  4 Comments / 4 New

Post Game - Celtics vs. Detroit Pistons - Monday, March 18 (W) Scree511

The Detroit Pistons may have been without Cade Cunningham and Simone Fontecchio in Boston against the Celtics on Monday night, but there were reasons to be excited.

What would Jaden Ivey look like as The Man in the starting lineup? Would Marcus Sasser do well with an expanded role? Does Jalen Duren’s recent offensive success still carry over without Cade around?

Well, none of those things went particularly well.

Ivey had a meh 21 points, Sasser was outplayed by Peyton Pritchard, and Jalen Duren looked a hell of a lot less demonstrative. Oh, and the Pistons rolled over in the second half, losing a laugher to the Celtics, 119-94.

I really had high hopes for Ivey tonight. His jumper has been such a mess for the last month or two, but I thought the lead ball handler role would help give him a little more confidence. It did, in some ways, as he knocked down 10 of his 19 shots.

But he didn’t really do anything else. It was just an empty offensive outing until some token assists when the game was very out of reach late.

In his defense, Sasser did a lot the playmaking stuff that I hoped Ivey would, finishing with six assists, but he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. I’m still not sure what the role is for him on this team. Feels like he needs the ball in his hands, which is tough because so do Ivey and, to a lesser extent, Cade.

Duren was just a guy. His offense and rebounding weren’t good enough to offset the defense, which wasn’t as egregious tonight as it was last game. With his general lack of energy on D, he had no chance guarding a big man like Kristaps Porzingis.

The big man had 20 for the Celtics while Derrick White had 22 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists to notch his first career triple-double. He nailed six threes as the Pistons were unable to phase him in the slightest. It was an embarrassing showing for any guard who tried to take on that match up.

Whatever the opposite of “rising to the challenge” is, that was what the Pistons guards did against White tonight.

James Wiseman continued his little Killian-Hayes-in-Winter-2022 revival tour tonight with 12 points and five rebounds. I’m at peace with the idea that he’s coming back — nothing I can do about that — but I just hope he comes back as the third center in 2024-25.

Not sure there’s anything else to cover, really. The Pistons were lifeless.

Let us know what caught your eye — good or bad — in the comments.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:06 am

The Green Kornet with 10 boards, 6 offensive, 2 steals, 3 blocks in 28 minutes.  You might say "well, they're Detroit", but they have the #2 pick in the 2020 draft, James Wiseman, and he outplayed him and the starting center.  Do they suck?  Hell yeah, but Luke's our #3 big.  He's the guy Joe sends in when our top two bigs are loafing, for Pete's Sake.

Our #1 big picked up where he left off.  I'm waiting to hear that his hamstring didn't tighten up overnight but the Unicorn played well.  I keep reminding myself that we gave up Marcus Smart for Kristaps Porzingis, and I keep reminding myself how much how much I love Smart, but the Zinger changes the game for us.  We are FAR more balanced, and with the Js that means 'unstoppable', with him.

Name a Boston Celtic that is feistier, pound-for-pound, than Payton Pritchard.  That guy is a dawg.  He was posting people up tonight, and he's 6'1".  23 points on 8-14, 5-9 from 3, 7 assists and two turnovers.  Brad had to make a choice.  Does he keep disgruntled but very talented NBA 6th Man Malcolm Brogdon, a starter on any other team in the league, or does he move him and open up minutes for Payton Pritchard, who he signs to a long-term contract?  Brad made the right decision...again.  For a 3rd year GM he seems to be good at this.

Jaylen with 31 points of bullyball.  20 fgas, only 6 threes, and 8 fritos.  More than a couple +1s.  We are not just lucky to have him AND Jayson, we are lucky they have learned to co-exist with each other, root for each other, but take over games when the other is laying back or having a bad game.  Jaylen didn't have to defer to Jayson tonight so he just attacked all game.  And he went left...a lot...so shut up...

Springer with a good showing.  Not much scoring, 2-5, but 5 rebounds, ALL OFFENSIVE, and 4 assists with zero turnovers and two blocks.  Let's remember, his calling card is defense.  We didn't get him for points, we got him to lock shooters down.  He was a +11 in 21 minutes.

96 fgas, 49 3pt fgas.  I'm not sure I can say Joe Mazzulla is "changing the game", I think Steve Kerr and the Splash Brothers out on the Left Coast own that, but Joe has embraced it and it is working.  I LOVE watching bullyball, I LOVED watching Jaylen pound people into paste tonight, I LOVED watching smallfry Payton Pritchard be fearless in the paint, but Brad and Joe has made us into a regiment of howitzers and I cannot argue with the results.  

7'2" Luke Kornet and 7'3" Kristaps Porzingis might be the tallest starting front court in NBA history.

Derrick White with his first NBA triple-double.  That's hard to believe.  Payton Pritchard had his first, and only, career triple-double back in April of last year, and Derrick just got his first?!  To me that just shows what a total team player he is, because he definitely has what it takes to have more of them, he just does what's best for the team first.

9 turnovers for us total, Jaylen and Derrick both with 3. Not surprising, they took 40 of our total 96 fgas, they had the ball in their hands a lot, they're going to have the lion's share of turnovers. It's like an infielder in baseball. You field the ball more, you're going to have more errors of all kinds.

Sean Grande
@SeanGrandePBP
With a ridiculous 1.27 points/possession the last 19 games, the Celtics (17-2) not only have the NBA’s #1 offense, but the most efficient offense in league history.

The gap between them and #2 LA Lakers in that span, is larger than the gap between #2 LA and #18 Orlando.

Post Game - Celtics vs. Detroit Pistons - Monday, March 18 (W) GJANk6kWQAAeum6?format=jpg

Post Game - Celtics vs. Detroit Pistons - Monday, March 18 (W) GJAJrh4WcAALcjJ?format=jpg

Post Game - Celtics vs. Detroit Pistons - Monday, March 18 (W) GJAJrnKWMAAlden?format=jpg

ALL of our Magic Numbers are now single-digits.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:28 am

Pritch has had 2 phenomenal games in a row. Love the way he pushes the ball and the little scrapper is always right there competing for balls in traffic and out hustling bigger guys for rebounds. For stretches and bursts he reminds me of John Stockton. Luke has been blocking shots, crashing the boards and dunking like crazy, was great to see us with twin towers. Zinger and Luke looked so good and big together, just taking away everything inside, it’s actually a simple game. Zingers 3 point shot and post up are still a nightmare for teams to defend.

How good is Jaylen? He’s great and this stretch since ASG has me thinking he’s worthy of being first team all NBA. Some great players have good hang time, Jaylen has hangtime in midair on contact, he’s taking/dishing out punishment and he can still hang and finesse the shot in on his way down. He’s done this a few times in the last 3 games. The degree of difficulty that he pulls off on his finishes is a sight to behold. D White has also improved so much in the last 2 years, not surprised he got a triple double, with our line up he plays a stellar complimentary role. He will be first team all defensive, would like to see 2 Celtics on first team all NBA, Tatum and Brown and 2 C’s on first team all defensive Derrick and Jaylen.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:14 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:Pritch has had 2 phenomenal games in a row. Love the way he pushes the ball and the little scrapper is always right there competing for balls in traffic and out hustling bigger guys for rebounds. For stretches and bursts he reminds me of John Stockton. Luke has been blocking shots, crashing the boards and dunking like crazy, was great to see us with twin towers. Zinger and Luke looked so good and big together, just taking away everything inside, it’s actually a simple game. Zingers 3 point shot and post up are still a nightmare for teams to defend.

How good is Jaylen? He’s great and this stretch since ASG has me thinking he’s worthy of being first team all NBA. Some great players have good hang time, Jaylen has hangtime in midair on contact, he’s taking/dishing out punishment and he can still hang and finesse the shot in on his way down. He’s done this a few times in the last 3 games. The degree of difficulty that he pulls off on his finishes is a sight to behold. D White has also improved so much in the last 2 years, not surprised he got a triple double, with our line up he plays a stellar complimentary role. He will be first team all defensive, would like to see 2 Celtics on first team all NBA, Tatum and Brown and 2 C’s on first team all defensive Derrick and Jaylen.

Cowens

+1

The only thing holding back Jaylen from being a top 5 player is his FT shooting. If he could get that up to at least between 75% and 80% I think he is a top 5 player because he checks every other box. I know your gonna say Giannis doesn't shoot FTs well, but he is a little more dominant than Jaylen. Just my take.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:13 pm

The Celtics earned their 54 win of the season and went 40 games over .500 as a result.

There accomplishments jump right off of the page

The remainder of this regular season provide opportunities to play our deep rotation.

I enjoyed seeing Jayden Springer guard all over the court.  He certainly has a knack for playing on the ball defense .  He can rebound in traffic and plays with noticeable physicality.  I thought that another scorer was the way to go but in retrospect adding two legit physical defenders (Tillman and Springer) makes the Celtics a better overall team.

Many pundits continue to doubt this team.  In 68 games this team has banished all the ghosts of things gone awry.  With 14 games remaining the Celtics will continue to improve.  They still have 6 games against playoff bound teams which will give them a chance to sharpen their metal and add to their league leading 28-13 record against .500+ teams.

The Celtics have the best home record and the best road record.  They  are also increasing their league leading point differential (11.7)  

The Celtics have a chance to hit or surpass the 60 win mark for the fist time since the 2008-09 season when they won 62 games.  That is a 15 year stretch.

The Celtics are averaging 121 PPG.  During the 1961-62 season they averaged 121.1  We are talking about a 62 year gap.1962-2024.    Our team is historically great on offense.

The  Celtics teams with the best point differential (all games combined)  was the 2007-08 team. Their total season point differential was 841 points  in 82 games.  This  team is right on pace to surpass that record setting mark.  Currently it is 792 points in 68 games.  

It was great to see KP play.  

Celtics are a league leading 10-2 on the second game of B2B.

Congratulations to Derrick White for recording his 1st triple double.

The game of basketball has changed dramatically since our 2008 title. That team only averaged 76.7 FGA per game. They only took 19.3 3PA per game and made 7.3

That 08 team won because of a dominant defense and a good offense.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:19 am

I’m trying to get bad boy Heckler to help me out. Maybe he already did it, there’s a you tube video of JJ Reddick and Tim Legler discussing our Celtics, if anyone can find it and post it….Some interesting facts Jaylen is avg 32.5 ppg in games this year without Tatum. He’s avg 29 ppg since the ASG. He’s been our best player since the all star game. These guys compliment his physicality, his defense and insistence on taking on the top scorer on opposing teams.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:58 pm

Cow, is this it?

https://youtu.be/jsyaxWXc-nQ?si=tcXF1yCthiJclgRQ
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:04 pm

willjr wrote:Cow, is this it?

https://youtu.be/jsyaxWXc-nQ?si=tcXF1yCthiJclgRQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down