Antoine Walker - Does He Make Sense To Get?

+8
steve3344
worcester
beat
mrkleen09
sinus007
Sam
NYCelt
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Antoine Walker - Does He Make Sense To Get? - Page 2 Empty Re: Antoine Walker - Does He Make Sense To Get?

Post by gyso Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:40 pm

I think the Lakers should sign Walker. That is the answer to the question, "How could Antoine Walker best serve the current Celtic team."

IMNMO

Back to top Go down

Antoine Walker - Does He Make Sense To Get? - Page 2 Empty Re: Antoine Walker - Does He Make Sense To Get?

Post by beat Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:42 pm

GYSO

Ditto

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:26 pm

Funny, I'm not usually considered "narrow-minded." I thought my reasons for not wanting him were fairly clear, but perhaps I should have augmented them.

1. He has never been either a 3 or a 4. He lacks the speed to defend 3s and the strength and lift to battle 4s.

2. I have seen every Celtic since 1960, and Toine is rivaled by only Sidney Wicks and Curtis Rowe as a chemistry killer. Just look at the great chemistry that characterizes the current Celtics offense that (considering the discontinuity on the team) is vastly smoother than it has any right to be at this juncture of the season. I'd go as far as to say that the offensive chemistry has so far been more consistently effective than their vaunted defense this season. To consider foisting Toine's chemistry-killing tendencies on this major asset is...(I can't think of a word I want to share on this board).

3. Who cares if he had a couple of good games years ago? He had a lot of skills—especially his passing. When a player with some skills has played hundreds of games, the Law of Averages almost dictates that he'll have a good game once in a while.

4. But he was too often without a clue as to when to use a given skill. He totally overrated his outside shooting ability and killed rally after rally by ill-timed clangers. And it would have to be proven to me that what skills he did possess are not eroded by now.

5. Marquis Daniels may not be the perfect backup 3 on this team. But he meshes really nicely with both the starters and the bench to the point where they're probably playing right now above their capabilities. Meshing was the antithesis of Antoine's attributes.

6. One of the good things the Celtics are doing this season is using the three-pointer more effectively. By which I mean they're shooting it less and making a higher percentage, so they're having an advantage over opponents in terms of the number of threes they miss. In case it's not obvious, missed threes are often an open invitation to a transition score for the enemy. Toine is ready-made to contribute to thiat terrible pattern.

If these points are insufficient to shake the moniker of "narrow-minded," I can easily come up with more.

Sam

Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:21 pm

It may be time to look at this with less statistical analysis, with an intangible-heavy slant.

Walkers high points;

Won a ring as a 3 with Miami by replacing J Posey as the starting 3 near the end of the regular season in the Heat's championship year.

A fan favorite in Boston because he was the final, indirect, link to the Bird years. An all-star who actually understood the meaning of being a Celtic and wanted to be here when we were at our lowest point.

Where he stands now;

Out of the league and aging.

Just now starting his attempt at a comeback.

Motivated because he needs to use his biggest asset, which is the ability to play basketball at some higher level for pay.

Add a look at current Celtics team needs;

Without being funny about it, health.

A defensive minded rebounding center. We have 4 on the roster if you count J O'Neal who is generally thought of as a 4/5...all are injured to some degree.

Depth at SF. Daniels play of late is making this a lot less an issue, but our third 3 is really Ray Allen. 3 guard lineups are common as well, but work better with a solid center who can defend and rebound. Even with D West out we've certainly got guards. With Bradley starting to show something you can argue we are among the strongest and deepest in the league at guard.

...It sounds to me like perhaps if anything we might need a 5, but the way the team has fallen into synch I doubt there is a reason to panic and add anyone now.

This could be one of those times it pays to get down to the signing deadline, assess needs and see who is the best player available; likely a front-line spot player.

It may be too soon to judge either Walker or our true needs at this point. Some tougher opponents and upcoming road games may reveal more.

Certainly all reasonable ideas and opinions are welcome for valid debate here, with the possible exception of resigning Mark Blount (couldn't resist!). Walker certainly did have value at one time, we just can't say if he does now or if so does his skill-set match our greatest need. I think Walker's past love-hate relationship with/from the fans makes him a polarizing topic.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:45 pm

When asked why he shoots so many threes, Antoine Walker said "because there are no fours."

Love him or hate him, that's one of the funniest NBA quotes ever.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2