Post Game - Celtics vs. New Orleans Pelicans - Saturday, March 30 (W)

+4
bobheckler
Celtics17
cowens/oldschool
gyso
8 posters

Go down

Post Game - Celtics vs. New Orleans Pelicans - Saturday, March 30 (W) Empty Post Game - Celtics vs. New Orleans Pelicans - Saturday, March 30 (W)

Post by gyso Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:25 pm

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401585702

Post Game - Celtics vs. New Orleans Pelicans - Saturday, March 30 (W) Box_s207
Post Game - Celtics vs. New Orleans Pelicans - Saturday, March 30 (W) Box_s208
Post Game - Celtics vs. New Orleans Pelicans - Saturday, March 30 (W) Box_s209

Back to top Go down

Post Game - Celtics vs. New Orleans Pelicans - Saturday, March 30 (W) Empty Re: Post Game - Celtics vs. New Orleans Pelicans - Saturday, March 30 (W)

Post by gyso Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:25 pm

Post Game - Celtics vs. New Orleans Pelicans - Saturday, March 30 (W) Game_f75

Back to top Go down

Post Game - Celtics vs. New Orleans Pelicans - Saturday, March 30 (W) Empty Re: Post Game - Celtics vs. New Orleans Pelicans - Saturday, March 30 (W)

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:09 am

Great comeback game from Zinger, he rebounded and defended well, as a team we outrebounded them by 10. Some missed bunnies by us throughout the game, but we won this game with defense. Holding a team to 92 points is rare these days and Pelicans came in on a hot streak, having just dismantled the Bucks.

Zion started 5-5 in the first carrying Thunder, then Jaylen showed what a stud he is, putting the clamps on him with defense that reminded me of vintage Ron Artest/Scottie Pippen. Zion went 4-12 after the first, Jaylen providing the physical wall/presence that very few can do to him. He was listed with one steal, I thought he had at least 3 all right on Zion. While I haven’t seen every Pelicans game, I have seen a few and love Zions game; glad he’s been healthy, it’s good for the game. This game showcased Jaylens defensive versatility at the highest primal level, we know he can shutdown points, and here he was muscling with Zion and stopping him over and over. The Pelicans own broadcasters noticed, complimenting Jaylon’s effectiveness and tenacity over and over. Who was the poster that said were in trouble, we have no one to match up with Zion?

To me this game had to ice Jaylen’s accession to first team all defensive, name me a better defensive wing? It’s not Kawhi, who was powerless as Zion put up 38 in a big Pelicans victory, as he just did to Giannis and Bucks last game. Tatum with some strong offensive play, turnarounds, dunks in transition and 3’s, but can you stop with the whining? Can anyone on the team control him? Great to see Holiday back, he and D White were instrumental both ends, always making the right play and hitting big shots. How great was Pritch swooping in and grabbing offensive boards over and over?

Great game plan and defensive game plan by Joe, ofcourse you need the horses to execute that game plan and we have them. Loved hearing the Pelicans announcers saying “they are led by the 2 best wings in the game, and they both can do so many things”

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:14 pm

Cowens

You stole my thunder. Totally agree Jaylen was just tremendous. He took on Zion (who is definitely a load) and neutralized him. Loved the way he took on the challenge. Totally agree he has to make the all-defensive team. He is pretty dinged up. I hope his hand is ok. We should give him plenty of time off these last 8 games.

Also agree the Zinger really played great on the defensive end. That's exactly what we need from him.

All in all this may have been the best defense I have seen from the Celtics this year. Horford was stellar as always, and I thought Tillman provided some tough hard nosed D as well.

Holiday looked good. I thought he was a little rusty the other night in Atlanta, but he was sharp in this game.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:08 pm

Celtics17 wrote:Cowens

You stole my thunder. Totally agree Jaylen was just tremendous. He took on Zion (who is definitely a load) and neutralized him. Loved the way he took on the challenge. Totally agree he has to make the all-defensive team. He is pretty dinged up. I hope his hand is ok. We should give him plenty of time off these last 8 games.

Also agree the Zinger really played great on the defensive end. That's exactly what we need from him.

All in all this may have been the best defense I have seen from the Celtics this year. Horford was stellar as always, and I thought Tillman provided some tough hard nosed D as well.

Holiday looked good. I thought he was a little rusty the other night in Atlanta, but he was sharp in this game.

Before the game I thought we would be getting a heavy dose of Tillman on Zion, turned out to be not the case lol

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:09 pm

Just when I thought we'd never win again (just kidding!).

I absolutely second Cowens' opinion of Jaylen's defense on Zion.  Zion outweighs Jaylen by 64# (284# vs 220#), and that's with a scale that 5-10# lighter for Zion.  Same height, Jaylen might even be slightly taller, 64# difference.  Zion should have pulverized Jaylen, but he didn't and that's because Jaylen was playing phenomenal defense.  He did what you have to do against Zion, you have to try to get him to go a little east-west.  If Zion is allowed to hold his line to the rim you are doomed, he's just too strong and heavy.  Jaylen angled him off just enough.  Zion scored 25 on 9-17, but he was 7-14 from the line.  Jaylen didn't make him miss from the stripe, he got a lot of favorable whistles, but he did make Zion work for everything.  I was really impressed with Jaylen's commitment to defending their best player.  Jaylen had 6 assists and only 2 turnovers and is playing dinged up.  We need to clinch #1 overall asap and then rest him.

Gary Washburn @GwashburnGlobe
yesterday
Jaylen Brown said his left hand has been bothering him recently and he's going to get it "looked at" when the #Celtics get back to Boston. Didn't have it wrapped or iced.

Chris Forsberg @ChrisForsberg_
about 3 hours ago
The Pelicans were 2 of 14 shooting (14.3%) when Jaylen Brown was the primary defender on Saturday. Zion defended by JB via NBA tracking: 7:15 matchup time 35.6 possessions 3 PTS 1-6 FG 3 TO

The Unicorn with 19 and 10.  3 blocks.  His counterpart, Jonas Valanciunas, was 2 and 5, zero blocks.  Z vs V.  Immigrants with long last names, making it acceptable to use initials.

As a team we was 39-82 (47.6%) for 114 points, 15-37 from 3, 51 rebounds 8 offensive, 27 assists and 12 turnovers, 7 steals and 7 blocks.  Our bench was 7-16 (43.8%) for 17 points, 14 rebounds 3 offensive, 4 assists, 1 turnover, 2 steals, 1 block.  My point in crunching these numbers is to highlight how well our bench did.  A little off on fg%, but not too much.  A high % of the total rebounds as well as a high % of the offensive rebounds (Payton, of course, with 2 offensive boards).  We don't expect bench players to come in and play better than the starters, especially on this starter-rich team, but we do expect them to "hold the fort", we certainly expect them to play well against the other team's bench, and they did.  Every one of the 4 bench players Joe played had positive +/-.  

Bench.........Points....FG%....O-boards.....Total boards....Assists....Turnovers....Steals....Blocks
Boston........17........43.8.....3................15.................4.............1...............2...........1
NOP............12........31.3.....3................11.................6.............2...............2...........1

It's nice to have Jrue back.  We went down 9 early and he hit a couple of 3s, played very sticky defense and rallied us.  He ended up with 13 points on 5-10, 3-6 from 3, 7 assists, 2 blocks and 2 steals.  A nice boxscore, but it doesn't tell you when he did this.  He did it when we needed it.

Because our back court starters can both defend and score they can take turns exerting their energies.  This season it has mostly been Derrick who has scored more and Jrue who had the more physical defensive assignments, but you're not going to gain much if they switch.  We saw what we're like without Derrick for a few games, and it wasn't pretty.  Last night we were reminded of what we were missing when Jrue was out.

Sean Grande @SeanGrandePBP
yesterday
Narrative alert. "The Celtics are always blowing leads" 2023-24 BOSTON CELTICS When leading by 10: 55-8 When trailing by 10: 7-8

Yeah, and how about the rest of the league?

Post Game - Celtics vs. New Orleans Pelicans - Saturday, March 30 (W) GJ9sc9aWIAEtigD?format=jpg

Post Game - Celtics vs. New Orleans Pelicans - Saturday, March 30 (W) GJ9sc-vXgAAph0R?format=jpg

Sean Grande
@SeanGrandePBP
And more chicken soup for the Celtics' fan's soul...

Post Game - Celtics vs. New Orleans Pelicans - Saturday, March 30 (W) GJ9jU6WXgAExAHF?format=jpg

Sean Grande
@SeanGrandePBP
Another double-digit road win as well, the Celtics' 17th of the year.

Post Game - Celtics vs. New Orleans Pelicans - Saturday, March 30 (W) GJ9ichVXoAEFU3N?format=jpg

Sean Grande
@SeanGrandePBP
Yes, because so many have asked how many of these tams went on to win the NBA Championship, I added gold to indicate it.

The things I do for you guys....

Post Game - Celtics vs. New Orleans Pelicans - Saturday, March 30 (W) GJ9h7V0WoAAqjCN?format=jpg

Next game is on the road vs Charlotte.  This is the last game of this 6 game road trip.  Finally.  Then, on Wednesday, we play a BIG game vs OKC in Boston.  Any combination of Celtic wins and other team's losses totaling 3 gets us there, so technically any win is as good as any other, but beating OKC counts as two since they are leading the West vs us.  If we win in Charlotte and beat OKC at home we have eliminated them and Minny.  Only Denver would be left and their MN would be no higher than 1.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:45 pm

Welcome back Celts. Adjusted. Played smart. Played with effort. Coasted to the win.

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:58 pm

Definitely a Tale of 1 1/2 then 2 1/2 Quarters. This game started out much how myself and probably most of us on this site were repressing as we come to the stretch run of the regular season leading up to the playoffs. Yet another team that was going to torch us from all over and have their biggest target run roughshod on us as our center(s) were about to be exposed for all the other playoff teams to see and chalk up another way to knock us out of the playoffs early and often.

Well guess what?! It didn't quite happen that way. Here's what I saw.

1. It was clear KP had been getting and reading some of the headlines that he was a soft center and was about to meet his maker. KP is a tough cookie, folks. He held his own and then some. He sent the message this time. He can give you 20 and push the big boys around, grabbing 10 defensive rebounds. That should shut up the critics a bit. This is the 2nd or 3rd game now with everyone back. And it needs to stay that way until and through the playoffs. Line up jostling is over. It's SHOWTIME.

2. Here's that Defensive Clinic showing up again, resurrecting itself from the GSW game. Got to give Eddie House credit for that term. The Pelicans looked like Pedestrians. This kind of defense wins championships. and it's just getting started. Need to see a few more games like this where the D goes apeshit, but I'm liking what I'm seeing.

3. Our Kevin McHale Clothesline is getting jacked up on the crappy refs. Like it or not but it works. We're not fight pickers. But we showed some fight tonight. It changes the way we play.

4. Bring back Ric Flair. If you want to be the best you have to beat the best. Well, all you media critics, this was one of the better teams in the league in their house. Just ask the Bucks. We took it right at Zion and even though he still scored 25 and 9 rebounds, he had to work for every point and every rebound. I think Joe Mazulla has opposing team bigs all figured out. Lopez, et al.

5. JT was much better FINALLY with the double teams. Found the wide open guy at least twice that I saw. That was some major progress.

6. We aren't winning anything without Derrick White. Book it, Danno. Said this before and I'll say it again. He's amazing on both sides of the ball. Better than anyone we've got. And that's saying a lot. And he's our 4th best scorer. But he can give you 30 if you need it.

7. The Bucks vs. NOP sealed MIL's fate. They may lose to NYK or CLE in the 2nd round. Not ready to push all-in on that prediction, but it's real close.

Can't wait to see this line up the last remaining 8 games up to the playoffs. @CHA tomorrow. Front row seats!

db

dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:48 pm

bobheckler wrote:Just when I thought we'd never win again (just kidding!).

I absolutely second Cowens' opinion of Jaylen's defense on Zion.  Zion outweighs Jaylen by 64# (284# vs 220#), and that's with a scale that 5-10# lighter for Zion.  Same height, Jaylen might even be slightly taller, 64# difference.  Zion should have pulverized Jaylen, but he didn't and that's because Jaylen was playing phenomenal defense.  He did what you have to do against Zion, you have to try to get him to go a little east-west.  If Zion is allowed to hold his line to the rim you are doomed, he's just too strong and heavy.  Jaylen angled him off just enough.  Zion scored 25 on 9-17, but he was 7-14 from the line.  Jaylen didn't make him miss from the stripe, he got a lot of favorable whistles, but he did make Zion work for everything.  I was really impressed with Jaylen's commitment to defending their best player.  Jaylen had 6 assists and only 2 turnovers and is playing dinged up.  We need to clinch #1 overall asap and then rest him.

Gary Washburn @GwashburnGlobe
yesterday
Jaylen Brown said his left hand has been bothering him recently and he's going to get it "looked at" when the #Celtics get back to Boston. Didn't have it wrapped or iced.

Chris Forsberg @ChrisForsberg_
about 3 hours ago
The Pelicans were 2 of 14 shooting (14.3%) when Jaylen Brown was the primary defender on Saturday. Zion defended by JB via NBA tracking: 7:15 matchup time 35.6 possessions 3 PTS 1-6 FG 3 TO

The Unicorn with 19 and 10.  3 blocks.  His counterpart, Jonas Valanciunas, was 2 and 5, zero blocks.  Z vs V.  Immigrants with long last names, making it acceptable to use initials.

As a team we was 39-82 (47.6%) for 114 points, 15-37 from 3, 51 rebounds 8 offensive, 27 assists and 12 turnovers, 7 steals and 7 blocks.  Our bench was 7-16 (43.8%) for 17 points, 14 rebounds 3 offensive, 4 assists, 1 turnover, 2 steals, 1 block.  My point in crunching these numbers is to highlight how well our bench did.  A little off on fg%, but not too much.  A high % of the total rebounds as well as a high % of the offensive rebounds (Payton, of course, with 2 offensive boards).  We don't expect bench players to come in and play better than the starters, especially on this starter-rich team, but we do expect them to "hold the fort", we certainly expect them to play well against the other team's bench, and they did.  Every one of the 4 bench players Joe played had positive +/-.  

Bench.........Points....FG%....O-boards.....Total boards....Assists....Turnovers....Steals....Blocks
Boston........17........43.8.....3................15.................4.............1...............2...........1
NOP............12........31.3.....3................11.................6.............2...............2...........1

It's nice to have Jrue back.  We went down 9 early and he hit a couple of 3s, played very sticky defense and rallied us.  He ended up with 13 points on 5-10, 3-6 from 3, 7 assists, 2 blocks and 2 steals.  A nice boxscore, but it doesn't tell you when he did this.  He did it when we needed it.

Because our back court starters can both defend and score they can take turns exerting their energies.  This season it has mostly been Derrick who has scored more and Jrue who had the more physical defensive assignments, but you're not going to gain much if they switch.  We saw what we're like without Derrick for a few games, and it wasn't pretty.  Last night we were reminded of what we were missing when Jrue was out.

Sean Grande @SeanGrandePBP
yesterday
Narrative alert. "The Celtics are always blowing leads" 2023-24 BOSTON CELTICS When leading by 10: 55-8 When trailing by 10: 7-8

Yeah, and how about the rest of the league?

Post Game - Celtics vs. New Orleans Pelicans - Saturday, March 30 (W) GJ9sc9aWIAEtigD?format=jpg

Post Game - Celtics vs. New Orleans Pelicans - Saturday, March 30 (W) GJ9sc-vXgAAph0R?format=jpg

Sean Grande
@SeanGrandePBP
And more chicken soup for the Celtics' fan's soul...

Post Game - Celtics vs. New Orleans Pelicans - Saturday, March 30 (W) GJ9jU6WXgAExAHF?format=jpg

Sean Grande
@SeanGrandePBP
Another double-digit road win as well, the Celtics' 17th of the year.

Post Game - Celtics vs. New Orleans Pelicans - Saturday, March 30 (W) GJ9ichVXoAEFU3N?format=jpg

Sean Grande
@SeanGrandePBP
Yes, because so many have asked how many of these tams went on to win the NBA Championship, I added gold to indicate it.

The things I do for you guys....

Post Game - Celtics vs. New Orleans Pelicans - Saturday, March 30 (W) GJ9h7V0WoAAqjCN?format=jpg

Next game is on the road vs Charlotte.  This is the last game of this 6 game road trip.  Finally.  Then, on Wednesday, we play a BIG game vs OKC in Boston.  Any combination of Celtic wins and other team's losses totaling 3 gets us there, so technically any win is as good as any other, but beating OKC counts as two since they are leading the West vs us.  If we win in Charlotte and beat OKC at home we have eliminated them and Minny.  Only Denver would be left and their MN would be no higher than 1.

Bob

Right I think Jaylen is closer to 230 than 220, he’s got alot of that Ron Artest old man strength with alot more speed and hops. I never saw Artest smother and chase points all over the floor like Jaylen can/does. Zion has Barkley type strength, he did an end to end finish recently right thru Giannis and Brook Lopez that was pretty impressive. Jaylen along with Lebron are the 2 strongest wings in the league, Zion is in another category, I guess he’s PF, but this is positionless basketball now, so maybe the labels don’t matter. Just glad Jaylen is a Celtic with the heart of a lion.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:32 pm

Defense was impressive.

JB really got after it. And the team played great defense. KP was engaged.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:14 am

I know Jaylen is listed at 220, but that's nonsense. He stated recently that he weighed 240.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:28 am

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:59 pm

We don't make mistakes for very long.  That's what I heard from Zion.  That's what a champion does.  They make the least mistakes than everyone that has come before them.  Everyone messes up in a game.  Everyone can score at this level.  So it comes down to defense and who messes up the least.  Plain and simple.

Same with Brad and Coach Joe.  Brad doesn't have to assemble the perfect team.  It just has to be better than everyone else's.  Coach Joe same thing.  He's made mistakes.  We document them here.  But if he makes the least mistakes than all the other 7 teams in the playoffs, odds are very good we're going to hoist the trophy.  

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down