Post Game - Celtics vs. Indiana Pacers - Saturday, May 25, 2024 - Game 3 Eastern Finals (W 3-0)

+8
Celtics17
jrleftfoot
cowens/oldschool
worcester
dbrown4
RosalieTCeltics
CorkyM
gyso
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Post Game - Celtics vs. Indiana Pacers - Saturday, May 25, 2024 - Game 3 Eastern Finals (W 3-0) - Page 2 Empty Re: Post Game - Celtics vs. Indiana Pacers - Saturday, May 25, 2024 - Game 3 Eastern Finals (W 3-0)

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun May 26, 2024 11:05 am

jrleftfoot wrote:PHEW. I couldn't sleep until the wee hours.Am I crazy in considering Jrue deliberately missing the second FT so time runs out before coach Cry-lisle can  advance the ball wuth 1.4 seconds left?

I thought of that too. If they were forced to rebound then call TO, would have had like .5 of a second to get a shot off.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post Game - Celtics vs. Indiana Pacers - Saturday, May 25, 2024 - Game 3 Eastern Finals (W 3-0) - Page 2 Empty Re: Post Game - Celtics vs. Indiana Pacers - Saturday, May 25, 2024 - Game 3 Eastern Finals (W 3-0)

Post by Celtics17 Sun May 26, 2024 11:25 am

What a game!! Celtics showed great poise and character. Nothing was going right and they stayed with it and gutted out an amazing win.

Got to credit the coach first. CJ kept the team focused despite the onslaught the Pacers unleased. He also ran up the sideline to call time up 112-111, when Holiday was going to be trapped on the sideline. This guy has grown and he is a heckeva coach.

It's hard to say who was the player of the game because the entire starting lineup was sensational. Jrue is getting the well deserved credit for the huge plays at the end of the game. His "and 1" gave us the lead, then the amazing steal, and then calmly nailing two FTs. However, JT was great all night. 36 points, 10 rebounds, 8 assists. That behind the back pass to Al was just gorgeous. He played like an MVP last night. Then their is the OG, Big Al. Seven huge three pointers, but how about that huge rebound of Nembhard's miss when we were up 112-111? He is still a big time player. Let's not forget what JB and D White contributed. They were both all over the floor, getting key buckets, making plays. Just a great all around team effort, and we needed every one of them.

I'm a little disappointed in Sam. He had 3 good looks and came up empty. One was wide open that could have tied the game and he shot an airball. He hasn't had a three this entire series. However, I'm not giving up on him. He still played good defense. I really think he will break out of this slump. He's too good a shooter. I'm hoping Monday night he finds his form.

No reason to let the Pacers hang around. Carlisle is saying they are going to bring it hard tomorrow, so lets meet it head on and end this thing and on to the Finals!
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Sun May 26, 2024 11:39 am

Hi,
My take on the game, in general, is the Pacers just ran out of gas. They were outrunning, out shooting, outhustling, out-everything us for 2+ quarters and then that burst fizzled out. That "out-everything" almost worked in G1, kept them in the fight for the better part of G2. They decided to crank it up a notch in G3. But not enough experience, not enough talent to sustain such high level of "speed" and intensity made them in.
On the other side, have to give credit to Celtics. They didn't panic, kept "chugging" along and reached the finish line first.
I hope the Cs don't shoot themselves in the foot and finish ECF tomorrow or Wednesday.
11 down, 5 to go.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun May 26, 2024 12:23 pm

3 down and 1 to go.

Pacers can run but not hide.  Celtics reeled them in.

Truly amazing basketball.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun May 26, 2024 12:56 pm

Celtics go on a 48-29 run in the last 18 minutes on the road.  I know the Pacers were without Haliburton but, still, that's a helluva rally.

Jay King @ByJayKing
about 12 hours ago
During one of the third-quarter huddles, Jayson Tatum said Joe Mazzulla told the Celtics to stop feeling sorry for themselves. "It was one of those timeouts, maybe like five minutes left in the third, when we kind of turned it around."

11 blocks.  11-1.  Horford with 3 and Derrick White with 4.  I can't ever remember a time when a guard had 4 blocks in a game.

Big Al with 23 on 8-14 and 7-12 from 3 and the aforementioned 3 blocks.  Maybe the best game from Al all year, maybe two years.  We need to sweep these guys so the OG can get his beauty sleep.

Sean Grande @SeanGrandePBP
about 10 hours ago
Jayson Tatum in Game 3.... 36 points 10 rebounds 8 assists 0 turnovers Only five have ever done it in NBA history (Bird, Drexler, Vince, Giannis and Jokic (twice))...all in the regular season. It had never been done in an NBA Playoff game.

Jay King @ByJayKing
about 12 hours ago
Jaylen Brown on Jayson Tatum’s pass to Al Horford: “Hang it in the flip* Louvre.”

Sean Grande
@SeanGrandePBP
Another top 20 list for Jayson Tatum at age 26.

Jaylen should join him Monday night.

Post Game - Celtics vs. Indiana Pacers - Saturday, May 25, 2024 - Game 3 Eastern Finals (W 3-0) - Page 2 GOfPBNRXwAAD1sa?format=png

I love Marcus Smart as much as anybody but, damn, Jrue is something else.  His final steal (had had 3 total) was a great recovery off of a stumble.  He guessed right.  He played Numbnuts to go to his right and overplayed him to go that way and then used his LEFT hand to go for the ball.  If he had used his right it out have been a foul, guaranteed.  What I love, and Rick Carlisle didn't see (or ignored) is that Numby just lay there facedown on the court after the steal.  He knew he screwed up.  Carlisle was screaming for a whistle, of course, but Numby Knew.

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
about 12 hours ago
Jayson Tatum on Jrue Holiday: "His instincts are second to none on both sides of the floor. "Joe gives Jrue so much freedom throughout the game. Obviously, we have coverages, but Jrue is the one guy who can roam or whatever he sees, whether it’s a gamble or he wants to switch

Jay King @ByJayKing
about 2 hours ago
“Joe Mazzulla called it his trademark steal where he just cuts off the ball handler going to the right. This time it was Nembhard. Just the ability to move his feet and beat him to the spot and then be able to reach out with the hand and poke it away in that moment of the game.”

I don't understand Rick Carlisle's last out of bounds play.  He had Nembhard (aka 'Numbnuts') take the ball out.  Numbnuts had 32 on 12-21 shooting.  He was 4-7 from 3.  I can understand using him as a decoy for Nesmith or Turner or some other 3pt shooter but, by having him inbound the ball, he took him out of the play completely.  On the other hand, Carlisle had all his players other than Numbnuts in the back court.  As soon as the ball was given to him by the ref they all started running towards the basket which created some chaos for our defense.

Post Game - Celtics vs. Indiana Pacers - Saturday, May 25, 2024 - Game 3 Eastern Finals (W 3-0) - Page 2 GOek3MrWgAAfZkV?format=jpg

Post Game - Celtics vs. Indiana Pacers - Saturday, May 25, 2024 - Game 3 Eastern Finals (W 3-0) - Page 2 GOek3PqW4AAzmhW?format=jpg

Sean Grande @SeanGrandePBP
10 hours ago
11 WINS IN 13 GAMES - CELTICS PLAYOFF HISTORY 1986 - 12-1 2024 - 11-2 End of list.

Sean Grande
@SeanGrandePBP
Of the Boston Celtics' 22 trips to the NBA Finals, only one included a sweep in the Conference Finals.

Post Game - Celtics vs. Indiana Pacers - Saturday, May 25, 2024 - Game 3 Eastern Finals (W 3-0) - Page 2 GOfP-V8WUAA5r53?format=png

11 down, 5 to go.  Dallas is up 2-0 vs Minny.  That series will probably end early too, so it'd be good to finish this on Monday if we can and give our warriors some much deserved rest.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun May 26, 2024 1:38 pm

This is from the Globe:

"Holiday, who applied full-court pressure on Nembhard, lost his footing at the 3-point line but was able to put a hand on the floor and keep himself from falling. He recovered in time to slide in front of Nembhard and poke the ball away.

“I tried to get a shot up and he got in front of me. I lost the ball, slipped, turnover,” Nembhard said."

Get over it, Rick, your guys lost.  It was understandable, you were down Haliburton, but you weren't robbed.  Your own guy admitted he slipped and turned it over.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun May 26, 2024 2:16 pm

Three series now Rick has been the one complaining constantly. It is one thing when players do it, but, after a while, watching a coach do it, it rubs off on his players. Sean Grande made a remark last night after a foul was called against Indy. "Another foul they did not commit" something to that effect. I know Tatum is bad this way, I will admit it is a very bad habit. Carlisle is too smart to believe that his team is abused. They look to foul almost everytime down the floor. Sorry you blew an 18 point lead, got out defensed and you know it. Monday is another day. Let's see
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun May 26, 2024 5:35 pm

The Last Two Minutes (L2M) Report for last night's game.

https://official.nba.com/l2m/L2MReport.html?gameId=0042300303

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sun May 26, 2024 6:17 pm

OK. Here's the G4 prediction.

Boston in an unmitigated blowout.

Here's why.

Fact - IND has been playing way out of their brains with the hot shooting against one of the best defenses ever assembled. Gime IND credit. Dont' know how they do it, but it is what it is so far.

Fact - The Law of Averages catches up with IND every game in regards to their shooting. They crap out at some point. Always the same pattern. Hot early and falling of precipitously thereafter.

Fact - Despite all the IND shooting pyrotechnics, BOS is in every game pplaying pretty well themselves. They're not stinking up the joint. Not great, but pretty darn good.

Fact - Rick Carlisle, in his post-game presser, has just asked his team to do something in G4 that they are incapable of doing as currently constructed. IND cannot play any better. You cannot shoot sustained 70%+ even for one game. They could play better defense but their run and gun, chaotic offense does not lend itself to that kind of defensive mindset. They are simply set up to outscore you.

Fact - Boston has not played anywhere near their potential, especially with KP out. The team we have out there right now is last year's playoff team sans Marcus Smart swapped fro Jrue. We have managed to just about max this line up out to this point. (Good time to bring back KP!!) Some better, more smothering defense is what is needed wihich we saw bits and pieces of int he 2nd half, But all the time? Oh that coming!!

Fact - Boston's highly heralded, much advertised and ALWAYS criticised 3-point shooting hasn't even gotten close. Last night's game brought our attention back to it with good volume makes but is still nowhere near where it is going to be.

That's enough irrefutable evidence. What do these facts bore out? IND is long overdue for a bad game. And we are just as long overdue for a great game. The Law of Averages has not let us down yet. If Cry Baby Rick, by asking his players to given even more and "punch back harder" and come after us even harder" and this results in an deliberate injury to any of our players, his coaching career will be over before he leaves the arena after G4. The I could care less, always careless and reckless Nesmith would seem like the best candidate to pull this off. Best to get your head out of your ass there, Rick. But by asking for that from his players, it will have quite the reverse effect.

Boston will remove all doubt about our readiness to get to and through both the ECF and the Finals. Monday will drive that home. We're not coming back to Boston for a G5. Not going to happen.

Boston in an unmitigated blowout. Book it again, Danno.

db

P.S. In an extra bonus prediction, Rick Carlisle at some point will need to be restrained and will be ejected from G4 in a blaze of...well something!
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun May 26, 2024 6:26 pm

From your fingers to Gods power!!!!!!! I can only hope this really happens. It is time for a full grown blow out to leave no doubt we belong. I keep tossing around if I want KP back for this one, i really think it is time to work off some of the rust, but. ?????
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun May 26, 2024 6:32 pm

Kp would benefit from an extra week of recupe time.
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun May 26, 2024 10:01 pm

Winning close games like game1 and 3 to me are more impressive.  I think it really shows the mental toughness of this team.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun May 26, 2024 11:24 pm

Great job by Mazzulla, creating the right matchups as the gap closed. Throw in his usual understated but direct motivation keeping players focused.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by CorkyM Mon May 27, 2024 9:50 am

Any real reports as to when we can see Porzingis?
CorkyM
CorkyM

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon May 27, 2024 10:16 am

There has been all kinds of rumors around KP's comeback, none of them definitive. Mazulla said one thing, the media is running all over the place as is their game. If the G4 KP-Comeback rumor is true, coupled with my prediction, I'd bring him in at trash time which would be immediately after halftime or end of 3rd quarter at the latest. Not sure at which part of G4 Rick is going to melt down and get tossed to make that call for his starting team to be pulled, but if KP is good to go, I wouldn't push it or put him in any stressful situations. Provided things go as planned for both DAL and BOS, we're going to possibly be off for a week and a half. So everyone is going to be rusty come G1 Finals. But this is all speculation. G4 ECF is all the matters right now.

Of course the MIA stories from last year are pouring out of the media. Anything to save themselves!! Coach Joe nailed it, though. All in stride.

db

P.S. Rosalie, I have a very good hunch that you alone can pray the Celtics to G4 victory! The prayers of the righteous person are powerful and effective. (James 5:16)
P.S.S. I made that prediction above independently or whether Halliburton was present or not.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon May 27, 2024 10:59 am

This YouTuber talks defense, and he's pretty astute.  He's a screamer, though, so turn down your volume or expect to hear someone losing his mind. You'd think he was at the game, yelling to be heard over the crowd and on a adrenaline high, by his volume and frenetic tone of voice.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon May 27, 2024 11:11 am

As I was watching the game and the Celtics fell behind by 18 points I knew they were going to come back.  It was an improbable belief.  Indy won on most the margins but Boston made 16 3 pointers to only 5 for Indy and Boston scored 20 points at the line and Indy scored just 14.  Yes Indy won the rebounding battle +7 and the assists battle  +8  and they were +18 in the paint.  That performance was still not  enough to beat us.  

They lost their 1st home game during the playoffs  and the Celtics won their 5 straight road game.

In the end the Celtics defense turned the tide.  They gave up a whopping 69 points in the first half but held the Pacers to only 42 second half points by holding them to 21 points in the 3rd and 21 points in the 4th.

We got great contributions for just about everyone.  JT finally broke out of his long distance shooting slump (5-10) and almost notched a triple double while scoring 36 points to go along with 10 rebounds and 8 assist.  He had zero turnovers!  JB is our steady Eddie with yet another efficient game with 24 points and going 10-18 from the field with only 1 turnover.  The eye popping performance has to be AH knocking down a career high 7 3 pointers.  He will not do that game after game but he can make shots when we need him.

Holiday and White were engaged defensively and made big plays on both ends when we needed them the most.  Holiday's late game heroics is  submitted as Exhibit A.

Hats off to the Pacers who pushed us as far as possible and a special shout out to Nembhard who earned a career scoring high of 32 points and proved to be unstoppable up until Jrue Holiday said enough is enough.

Our bench did not take many shots and did not make many shots.  They went 2-7 from the field for what has to be a season low total of 4 points.  Sam Hauser still cannot find the bottom of the net and I am really starting to wonder if this stage is too big for him to dance on.

Tonight's game 4 should be a humdinger.  Indy is not going to simply pack up and leave.  You will have to throw them out of the club.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon May 27, 2024 12:29 pm

Go ahead and hold the door open for me, dboss!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon May 27, 2024 12:36 pm

Jrue is mentally tough as are JB, JT, AH, and DW. Sam can shoot, but he's not so mentally tough.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon May 27, 2024 3:32 pm

NYCelt wrote:Great job by Mazzulla, creating the right matchups as the gap closed. Throw in his usual understated but direct motivation keeping players focused.
+1
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon May 27, 2024 3:43 pm

Sam Hauser is going through a bad shooting spell, as was Tatum. Tatum has come out of his, hopefully Sam will soon.

Sam still has gravity, meaning he pulls defenders to him because historically, he is a very good shooter. Even in the playoffs, the other team still covers him very tightly.

I hope he can work through whatever is causing his recent shooting woes. I'll say no more.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon May 27, 2024 3:48 pm

My sentiments exactly. I keep saying, just one one or two go thru the net, it will open everything up for him. That is what shooters always say, The kid is out there, working hard, rebounding and staying active, I hope for his sake this is the night he breaks out of his slump
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon May 27, 2024 4:08 pm

But Sam is not the defender our starters are. He is a shooter and as gyso says someone who spaces the floor. When Jayson's shot is off he still contributes in other important ways
When you are a one trick pony, your value ultimately comed from performing that trick. In the playoffs. Sam's problems are mental. He needs to focus on that during the off season.

I once knew Don Burkett who was a progenitor of sports psychology. He would say it is not that difficult. Just train your mind to visualizr the result. Put it in your mind and make it so. Chrissie Evert was his disciple among many others. Sam needs some psychological coaching. Nuff said.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2