Oshae Brissett declines his $2.5 million player option.

5 posters

Go down

Oshae Brissett declines his $2.5 million player option. Empty Oshae Brissett declines his $2.5 million player option.

Post by steve3344 Sun Jun 23, 2024 6:56 pm

Will become an unrestricted free agent. Would still hope we can bring him back. He's a good defender and rebounder with energy and an ok three point threat. Let's see what offers are out there for him. Don't see him getting much more than what he turned down.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/oshae-brissett-declines-player-option-sunday/

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Oshae Brissett declines his $2.5 million player option. Empty Re: Oshae Brissett declines his $2.5 million player option.

Post by dboss Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:37 pm

I can see him getting more.  

Maybe around $5 million per on a 3 year deal.

Although he did not get to play much, his profile has been elevated by being a part of the Celtics Championship win.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Oshae Brissett declines his $2.5 million player option. Empty Re: Oshae Brissett declines his $2.5 million player option.

Post by bobheckler Sun Jun 23, 2024 10:58 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2024/06/celtics-reserve-declines-player-option-becomes-free-agent-report.html

Celtics reserve declines player option, becomes free agent (report)

Published: Jun. 23, 2024, 7:01 p.m.

By Brian Robb | brobb@masslive.com

The Celtics offseason is underway and one reserve forward is planning on at least testing the free agent waters. Boston forward Oshae Brissett is opting out of his $2.46 million player option for the 2024-25 season and will become an unrestricted free agent according to Keith Smith from Spotrac. Brissett signed a two-year contract last offseason with Boston for the veteran’s minimum and averaged 3.7 points and 2.9 rebounds in 11.5 minutes per game over 55 contests including one start.

Brissett was on the fringes of the rotation during the regular season, seeing minutes when Boston was down bodies primarily in the front court. He saw minimal meaningful action in the postseason but did provide a spark in Game 2 of the East Finals with three rebounds and three steals off the bench in 12 minutes with Kristaps Porzingis sidelined. He posted just 1.6 points and 1.4 rebounds per game in 10 postseason appearances overall with the majority of those minutes coming in garbage time.

The 6-foot-7 forward will be entering his sixth NBA season after going undrafted out of Syracuse in 2019. He spent a year with the Raptors before playing parts of three seasons in Indiana before joining Boston last summer.

MassLive analysis: The move isn’t a surprising one on a couple of fronts. The Celtics still have the option to bring back Brissett on a veteran’s minimum deal or with Non-Bird Rights, paying him up to 120 percent of his previous salary ($2.1 million). If the Celtics offer him the full amount, that would give him the option to sign a deal at $2.6 million, a slight bump from his player option that he’s declining at $2.46 million.

Beyond the money for Brissett, there’s also the matter of opportunity as he weighs his options. The reserve forward saw his minutes decline sharply from his time with the Pacers on a loaded Celtics squad, leaving him with the fewest minutes per game average since his rookie season. If Brissett wants to a chance to play more, it’s hard to see him carving out many more minutes for himself in Boston if the team stays healthy.

Brissett probably can find plenty of options for a minimum contract around the league but it’s fair to guess he won’t see much more money than that given his subpar shooting numbers (27 percent from 3) last year. If he wants the familiarity of Boston and a chance at another ring, a reunion is very possible. If he wants to better chance at breaking out beyond being a minimum player, Brissett could look for greener pastures.

The Celtics also get an extra measure of flexibility here with Brissett opting out. The team has limited open roster spots entering this offseason (currently 11 players under contract including team options). It’s unlikely they can do much better than Brissett for a veteran’s minimum but this could help them test the market. Rookie Jordan Walsh could be a cheaper option as well to move up the depth chart.

NBA free agency begins on June 30th at 6 p.m. ET.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:37 pm

Brissett has been in the league for 5 years now.  If he opted-in to his contract, his total career earnings would be in the $9 million range.  He knows that he is not going to be getting anything close to a big money contract.

However the Celtics players get playoff bonus money because of their playoff championship win.

"Take the Boston Celtics, for instance. The team wound up the season as the No. 1 seed with a warrior-like record of 64-18. This winning streak will see each player earn $804,000 if they triumph in the championship."

I am not sure how accurate that number is until I check multiple sources (Name Your Source)

Brissett could get more guaranteed money elsewhere but getting a championship bonus check is rare in deed. A team that has the Bi-Annual exception could pay him approximately $4.7 million. The BAE can be used to sign players for up to two years, with a 5% raise after year one. - Hoopshype

Like other exceptions a team could use a portion of it.

The Celtics will still have to make decisions about Kornet, Tillman and Svi. I also think they have to make decisions about Queta, JD Davidson and Drew Peterson.

With Brissett all but gone, Walsh should have an opportunity to move up the depth chart.

Every year there will be roster additions and subtractions.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:40 pm

dboss wrote:I can see him getting more.  

Although he did not get to play much, his profile has been elevated by being a part of the Celtics Championship win.

If he can get that kind of money he had to go. I liked his hustle, rebounding and defense. Sorry to see him go, but we cannot go $5 million a year for him. I hope we can sign Tillman for something like that. Wish Oshae the best.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:54 pm

We're going to be pushing that tax number to the limit in order to sign White and pay Tatum. If they want to lock up Hauser they may need to address that now too, rather than wait, before his value increases too much to keep.

Players like Brissett, Kornet, Svi and Tillman might need to be elsewhere to make the money work. Brissett and Tillman might be looking for more playing time too.

As a contender, I'm sure we'll look to backfill with serviceable vet minimum types looking for a title shot.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:42 pm

Celtics17 wrote:
dboss wrote:I can see him getting more.  

If he can get that kind of money he had to go. I liked his hustle, rebounding and defense. Sorry to see him go, but we cannot go $5 million a year for him. I hope we can sign Tillman for something like that. Wish Oshae the best.
Celtics17

I really do not know how much he can get.  Given his career earnings he would walk for even $3.5 million.  I wish him the best.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:46 pm

NYCelt wrote:We're going to be pushing that tax number to the limit in order to sign White and pay Tatum. If they want to lock up Hauser they may need to address that now too, rather than wait, before his value increases too much to keep.

Players like Brissett, Kornet, Svi and Tillman might need to be elsewhere to make the money work. Brissett and Tillman might be looking for more playing time too.

As a contender, I'm sure we'll look to backfill with serviceable vet minimum types looking for a title shot.
100% agree.

If SH is extension eligible they should do it now.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down