beat
dbrown4
13 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

What's right with the Heat - Page 3 Empty Re: What's right with the Heat

Post by beat Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:48 pm

Dbrown

sort of on the same topic............. I always thougth a player who makes a pass to a teamate for a layup (but the guy gets fouled on the shot and misses) should be given an assist if the shooter makes both free throws, ( or even half an assist if he makes one )

But that is NOT the case either.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:49 pm

Speaking of foul shots and counted in the paint I do not think you can get goaltending/offensive interference called on continuation plays. Go KG! Very Happy

And on the same subject it annoyed the crap out of me last year in the playoffs with Howard and how he get free shots on a lot of people. Since he came in as weak side defense a lot of the time he got to take free shots on people that were already fouled. Grrrr....
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:56 pm

Statkeeping in the NBA... where illogical happens!

My favorite is that they award a team rebound when a player misses the first of two free throws. Wha?

Points in the paint is a completely subjective and essentially made-up stat, so someone needs to provide an alternative stat service for this kind of crucial information. I nominate BobH. "Send all inquiries and complaints to noonecares@fifthcircleofhell.com."
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:01 pm

swede

Most certainly a goaltenting/offensive or defensive, can be called on a continuation play. For example Pierce is going in for a close in shot and is hit as he shoots the ball. On it's downward flight a player on the other team swats it away. The shot counts and PP goes to the line for one shot. Also the same shot may appear to be a bit short and KG "helps" it to go in Once KG touched the shot the BALL is dead and PP goes to the line for 2.

Many times you will see KG jump and grab (next to the rim) an outside shot when there is a whistle. If that shot has a chance to go in KG could be whistled for a goaltending.

Another interesting rule is (at least in NYState HS hoops a player is shooting a foul shot that hangs on the rim partially over the cylinder. If an offensive player was to touch it goaltending is called and the shot would not count if it goes in. If a defensive player touches the same Foul shot that is hanging on the rim the same way and knocks it off the rim not one point but 2 points are awarded as once it's touched in the cylinder it is no longer considered a foul shot but a live ball that happens to go thru the rim for 2 points.

One last one is shooting at the wrong basket. IF a player attempts a shot at the wrong basket and is FOULED in the act of shooting at it what happens. It the shot goes in it's 2or 3 points for the teams basket that the ball scored in. But if it does not go in it is just a personal foul on the defender and no foul shots are awarded. Shooting at the wrong hoop is NOT A legal try for goal.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:04 pm

Swede

Here is a site that helps with rules, granted these are High School federation rules but it is interesting

http://longislandbasketball.com/AskTheRef2.html

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:07 pm

Yeah I saw that I misread it.

Howabout "secondary" fouls? Pretty OT now but I am guessing the Heat subject is dead until they do something new Very Happy
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:09 pm

The KG after-snag is interesting. He really seems to know what he is doing by never swatting away a live shot in that context. He can't be looking at the ref for a telling signal since he's blocking the shot. He always seems to do it when one of the opponents just playfully tosses it up there well after the play is over and hence no chance of it being goaltending.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:13 pm

Back to the original topic, I forgot the Heat have Dallas on their schedule tonight. I hope Dirk and the boys don't eff this one up. Should be a good game. Maybe the Heat can lose twice this week for a dose of reality. Merry Christmas, Miami!
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:15 pm

Sinus

Not sure what you mean by Secondary fouls. If a player is driving to the basket and gets fouled twice, the first foul is the only one that counts as long as the second foul is not flagrant.

If i'm driving to the hoop and get fouled outside and take anothe dribble and couple of steps and then get fouled as I am shooting as long as the outside foul is called the second foul does not matter but if I am deemed in the act of shooting I will get 2 shots regardles if a get fouled a second time. (as long as the shot misses)

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:16 pm

dbrown4 wrote:The KG after-snag is interesting. He really seems to know what he is doing by never swatting away a live shot in that context. He can't be looking at the ref for a telling signal since he's blocking the shot. He always seems to do it when one of the opponents just playfully tosses it up there well after the play is over and hence no chance of it being goaltending.
Yeah the times he does it seem to be well after the play and well after the whistle...........that said there could alwys be a first time too.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:18 pm

dbrown4 wrote:Back to the original topic, I forgot the Heat have Dallas on their schedule tonight. I hope Dirk and the boys don't eff this one up. Should be a good game. Maybe the Heat can lose twice this week for a dose of reality. Merry Christmas, Miami!

I'll check in on it from time to time. Hopefully the Mavs can kick some arses!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:24 pm

beat wrote:Sinus

Not sure what you mean by Secondary fouls. If a player is driving to the basket and gets fouled twice, the first foul is the only one that counts as long as the second foul is not flagrant.

If i'm driving to the hoop and get fouled outside and take anothe dribble and couple of steps and then get fouled as I am shooting as long as the outside foul is called the second foul does not matter but if I am deemed in the act of shooting I will get 2 shots regardles if a get fouled a second time. (as long as the shot misses)

beat

Yes it is the foul after the foul I was talking about. It happened a lot last year in the series vs. Orlando when Howard came jumping in from the weak side. It is a good move really, he will either get the block or just get free bumps versus the offensive players which can be pretty tough since he usually comes flying in.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:09 pm

Back to splitting infinitives...Good job of delineating it, Outside...
I also came across this example:
I want to live simply.
I simply want to live.
I want to simply live.
Three different statements with different meanings...and that made possible with a split infinitive adding nuance to the language...
There are several good writers on this board...Sam (contrary to his opinion of his ability), Spike, you...and others that make up this board.
Okay, I'm going back to my comics now.
Go Celtics.

LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:44 am

dallas beat the Heat in Miami...Heat have little to no offense. Pretty good d.

Dallas just rose up when it mattered and took it.

So no more streak and again they fail against an elite (top 5) team.

Be interested to see how bad the Lakes whip em.

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:23 am

jeb they have no post players on offense,Lebron actually tried a few times,but hes not there yet.They're perimeter game is very inconsistant.....now they're banking on Mike Miller coming back from a broken shooting hand,hes not gonna be effective this year.I don't think they have the energy to run as much as they need to to win.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:57 am

cow

their o is iso crap, as such being a fan of ball movement its hard to watch their games
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:52 am

Finally, order is restored. Now if on Thursday, PHX can rise above, play some (zone defense)...OK, rise above and set up MIA for 3 in a row come Saturday, that would be an awesome Christmas present! Laker posters, we're counting on you. Dallas made it look pretty easy, and on the road. Not their best game, but you won't need that.

Time for another team meeting, DWade. Still watching ORL coming in for a landing Saturday. They are going to be pissed. Hopefully, we will give them the final nail in the coffin for the week, 0-4.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:05 pm

OK, here's another one. When they quote the "record" say, Miami has against teams with a winning/losing record, is it as of the day the game is played? What happens if a "losing team" record changes to a "winning team" record over time? What if when they play, the team in question is 13-13? Do they wait until after the game to break the tie?

Always Plenty Of Confusion In NC
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:45 pm

Dbrown,

Spoken like a true mathematician (lol). As a matter of practicality (aka being able to locate the relevant stats), I think the statement implicitly refers to the situation at the time the statement is made. And, since the frame of reference is usually multiple teams (e.g., "teams over .500") rather than just a single team, it probably doesn't matter a lot if one of the teams in question has fluctuated above and below the .500 mark for a while. At least the fluctuating team has displayed the ability to be above .500 and probably won't have a major bearing on the validity of the statement.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3