dbrown4
Sam
bobc33
Matty
10 posters

Go down

all star game Empty all star game

Post by Matty Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:47 pm

the presentation already makes me want to turn it off..
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

all star game Empty Re: all star game

Post by Matty Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:55 pm

and here we go,, the Celtics East..
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:56 pm

ok, they been on th floor for a whole play, take them out, let 'em sit the rest of the game andput back in miami for the rest of the game... 'wear 'em out
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:48 pm

Matty wrote:the presentation already makes me want to turn it off..

Matty,

I watched the Saturday night events over a friends house and he has two boys 9 and 11. I must say they were enthralled with every moment of all the events. I did think the slam dunk contest had some really good efforts from all the participants, but every one of them had a "coach" which I thought was a tad overblown. I guess the NBA is not targeting us older traditionalists as their desired audience.

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:03 pm

bob, i think u are correct, it sucks to only be in my 30's and already wishing for the "good old days"

i ended up working yesterday and missed everything, though i seldom watch these events, the only slam dunks ive ever watchedwere to cheer on Celtics ditto for the 3 point challenge.

the last time i watched the all star game i ended up turning it off due to what i felt was an overly sexed up halftime show..

that must be the traditionalist in me wanting to keep my sex and my basketball seperate (avatars get a pass)
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:38 pm

Facebook entry:

Flossing, flossing, flossing. I just reached a bicuspid.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:43 pm

Sam i have the game on, but hardly paying attention, in fact probably wacthing my arm hairs grow more than paying attention to the game.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:31 am

Sam, as always, you kill me!

As for the point about the kids, bobc, mine were trying their best to stay up long enough to see the 3-point and Slam Dunk. My oldest, who made it the distance, couldn't understand why the Slam Dunk was on so late! I had to agree.

Ray and Paul did not look their regular selves in the 3-point and for the game for that matter. Not used to coming off the bench I suppose. Ray's shots were actually off center, which I very seldom see or can recall. But with the TV camera angle I may be sitting in the wrong seat to make that statement. However, RA hit it when it was needed most. As long as they are back on track starting tomorrow.

Despite the press's attempt to make KG look like the villian, he was cheering the hardest and loudest on the bench by far. Dumbasses!

The All-Star Game left me longing for the regualr season and reality. Hell, I could make all of those shots with an open court and no defense. I did like the way Ray left an imprint on Kobe's brain come playoff time. He was all over Kobe like a cheap suit.

I'm sure DWade will be OK and starting the first game after the break.

I fell asleep after the 3rd quarter.

Probably should have given LeBron the MVP in a losing cause ala Jerry West. Also, he and MJ are finally in the same breath, although without looking, I'm pretty sure MJ came away with the victory in his game. I'm one of those people who hope for now LeBron's career will be defined as Big Hat, No Cattle. Although, I am softening.

OK, injury status report, anyone? Anyone? Shaq back tomorrow for sure? Delonte not so sure?

P.S. Press is ignoring us again. That's fine. Chicago has stuggled soooo much with injuries to date. They've been without Noah and Boozer for the past 3 seasons. I just don't see how they are at the top of the conference 8 games ahead of the closest competition and they now have these guys coming back after the break. They are going to be even better.

OK, that's what I heard. If we get the chance, we will hand CHI their own heads on a platter along with ESPN's, otherwise we'll let MIA or ORL do the dirty work for us. I think this year we need homecourt more than we think. This isn't last season. The other top 4 in the East have all improved. So have we, though. And we're not anywhere close to Full Tilt yet. Our Death Star is just about to become full operational. There is going to be one series where will will need it, though. Probably not the finals. If the top 4 seeds make it to the next round in E & W, that's going to be some of the best basketball we may see in a long time.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:33 am

How did you like the lists that those idiot announcer's made up for their dream defensive teams? Not one of them included Russell! Barkley wanted to start his team with Iverson, best defensive point guard he could come up with. some of the
lists were crazy. MJ was left off, Bird was only on one list. These guys are supposed to be smart basketball men????? Crazy.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:12 pm

I've been working on getting our office moved into our new location with our new associates since Thursday and along with all the little surprises you get with furniture delivery and technology and telecommunictions changes (and expenses..."I'm paying how much for that? Every month?") this is the first chance I've had to sit at my new desk and log in. I've got to tell you that being able to log in here with all of you brings back a sense of normalcy to the headaches of the changes and the ever-present "did I do the right thing?" that goes through your mind with these transitions in your career and livelihood.

So...

I think there are some real benefits to the NBA All-Star weekend and it's exactly for those younger fans talked about above. I think this is one of the places the NBA builds its fan base for the future and I think they do a better job of it than just about any other major sport.

Is the game itself anything? Not if you like defense and something a little better organized than a local playground pickup game.

But the biggest talents the game has to offer are there and it's offense, not defense, that the younger fan wants to see. They have to first learn a love of the game before they can appreciate the intricate beauty of it's parts. Start jacking up the threes and slam a few and you get them hooked on the excitement. As they tune back in more and more they start to understand the subtle parts of the game. It's no different from a person thinking for the first time "hey, that glass of wine was pretty good." That first real taste was probably something off the discount rack, but over time a finer taste is acquired. It's no different with any sport; especially a high level team sport like NCAA Division I or NBA basketball.

My son is almost 7 now and he's been starting to play at the local "Y". He's been watching more basketball and he loved the Saturday night skills challenge. Although he got tired and went to bed before the 3-point contest or the dunk competition we recorded it and he watched both on Sunday, completely thrilled with what he saw. He watched the start of last nights game and he and a friend watched the remainder today, amazed that all the big name stars they knew from other games they saw were playing together for this one game.

Baby steps.

Don't downplay the All-Star game and weekend; it isn't for us. It's for the new and growing fans. It's for the future.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:03 pm

When my son was about six, he joined the local boys and girls club and joined a basketball team. He had such a wonderful time that it encouraged him to go to the
local playgrounds in the summer and play ball with boys he didn't even know.

By the time he was in the fourth grade he was old enough to join a local basketball league and played there until he made the junior high team. He was so taken with Michael Jordan back then, he just loved him. He was lucky enough to go to the playoff game with his father here in Boston where Jordan went off for 63 points.
Boy, did he think that was the greatest thing!! So I never discouraged him from following Jordan even though I was a die hard Celtics fan/!!! I think it is great that the kids watch these games, let's face it this is their world, not ours.

Personally, I couldn't understand half of what they were singing but it looked like the young people were having a ball. NY keep encouraging him, maybe he will
eventuallly follow the same teams you do. It is great. ]
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:51 pm

and make him use that off hand!

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:15 pm

nycelt
Well stated nycelt. Its great that you still embrace the present game with the same enthusiasm that you did when you were growing up. Its quite easy to develope a "Good Old Days" attidude as we get older- resisting change like its the plague. Its your sons world now. Enjoy it with him .

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:24 pm

nyc

there isnt a less bah humbug guy than you on this whole board. I salute you openmindedness and your family.

regards

jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:53 pm

NYCelt,

It's great to hear that Michael is becoming really interested in basketball. For a while, I had thought he was going to specialize in baseball, but I should have known that that was highly unlikely with his dad an influence.

There's absolutely no question that all-star weekend serves as a major stimulus of interest in the game and the NBA, which is a great thing, given the difficult economics associated with the pro sport. We all owe a great debt to the later Walter Brown for basically forcing the game on the league in the early 50s, holding the first two games in Boston and I believe again in 1957. And to The Cooz for unquestionably being the single greatest catalyst for fan interest at that time and in those games.

I would hope that those who have stuck with the NBA since even before those days would be allowed to voice their individual concerns about both the direction of the sport and of all star weekend without being considered shallow enough to condemn or sanction interest in either by newer and older fans alike.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:58 pm

Sam,

Baseball, Football, Basketball; we're keeping him signed up for all of them because he can't get enough of any single one. Even winter indoor baseball. We're trying to figure were to fit in swimming which he has done and wants to continue and soccer because he tried it and wants to join a friends team.

I hope you and others didn't interpret my comments as a condemnation of other philosophies, but rather as a reminder to all of what the league is really doing...insuring it's future.

Jeb,

Thanks. Hope all is going well and that you've been keeping that pooch contained!

Swish,

Thanks for the kind words. Having a young son although I'm old enough to remember some of the "good old days" helps me keep a fresh perspective. It also frequently keeps me tired!

beat,

Whatever you say I'll try. It's worked awfully well for you! Have we heard anything from BobC on golf?

Rosalie,

Thanks for the encouragement. Michael has been cheering for a certain team from the west coast we won't mention here, but all of a sudden that's been tilting toward the Celts. First it was an interest in Shaq, but now it's another player that has his attention and has quickly become a favorite. You would be happy to know it's some guy who plays for the Celtics and wears #20.

Hey, look at that; I'm becoming better organized with my time. I've stayed in 5 conversations with one quick post. Ah the wonder of Sam's Celtics Forum!

Regards to all.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:36 pm

NYC

I never have pushed Marcus into any sport.......tried a bit (quite a bit actually to get him to go out for soccer in 7th grade but he wanted no part of it. Bribed him and everything too!!

Only advise I can give is let him try as much as he can reasonably fit in BUT eventually he'll have to make some choices as some of those seasons run at the same time, but there is no rush now. And having fun is always important too as is playing with friends.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:50 pm

beat wrote:NYC

I never have pushed Marcus into any sport.......tried a bit (quite a bit actually to get him to go out for soccer in 7th grade but he wanted no part of it. Bribed him and everything too!!

Only advise I can give is let him try as much as he can reasonably fit in BUT eventually he'll have to make some choices as some of those seasons run at the same time, but there is no rush now. And having fun is always important too as is playing with friends.

beat

Interesting points you make here. I know a local guy who is a very succesful high school basketball coach. His son has been developing some obvious skills at at the game and he has been getting the usual pressure to start the travel teams and constant training at too young an age. Despite his status in coaching his response has been no way. As he puts it "when is my kid going to have time to go ride his bike?"
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:59 pm

or throw rocks in the creek, go swimin at the beach, lay outside and watch the stars......................

I'm just waiting for the day Marcus takes note of the opposite sex. Right now all girls stil have cooties.

beat

PS and in a month.......................a learners permit! GOD SAVE US ALL
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:32 am

NYCelt,

No, of course not. Just as I have never criticized others for their enjoyment of the all-star festivities. I realize that, among other functions, all-star weekend sends important messages about NBA basketball to people of all ages. Ideally, I'd like those messages to be as realistic and constructive as possible. Each of us has his or her own interpretation of what "realistic" and "constructive" are and expresses his/her opinions and support accordingly.

Given his leanings toward the Lakers (which I understand may now be evolving in another direction), did Michael have any reactions to the naming of Kobe as the MVP?

Finally, good luck in the new iteration of your business. I know that all the time and energy you're so earnestly putting into it have acquired bittersweet dimensions that involve more than you and your family. All of which will add meaningful layers to the company's success in the future.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:43 am

deano

Welcome back buddy!!I can relate to clearing my mind somewhat with the pleasure of talking hoops and all things Celtic with a bunch of buddies.Great way to clear my head from everything,my kids loved the whole all star game weekend.Last year we were shouting so loud,high fiveing during Pierces 3 point heroics,enjoyed that event as much as any game.This year the highlight was seeing Pierce go over and hug Bill Russell right before the contest.Nothing more fun than watching a Celtic game with my sons and sharing a bag of potato chips,that to me is a Zen experience.

cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:04 pm

Cow,

Did Kobe go over and congratulate Russ too? I heard he did.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:19 pm

Sam and Cow,

Thanks for sending the nice thoughts guys; and Sam, thanks for remembering those special elements that have recently gone into our business evolution. I really appreciated your thoughts and encouragement in the messages we exchanged last month as I made the decision to bring that added part in.

Michael was happy to see Kobe get the MVP, but he really enjoyed seeing Ray Allen in the 3-point contest and Dwight Howard in with the 4 Celtic All-Stars. (I love Perk, but that one had me daydreaming!) There is hope; I just need to keep reminding him that his uncle the Laker fan isn't paying for our family's groceries.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:24 pm

NYCELT- JUST TELL HIM TO KEEP WATCHING THE WAY RAY SHOOTS, IT IS A GREAT LESSON FOR HIM. MY SON WATCHED LARRY BIRD, I SWEAR TO GOD HE SHOT JUST LIKE HIM!! HE HAD HIS TAPES THAT HE MADE WITH RED AND JUST WENT OUT TO THE PLAYGROUND DAY IN AND DAY OUT SHOOTING.

IT IS GREAT THAT THEY HAVE GUYS LIKE THIS AROUND WHO THE KIDS CAN LEARN FROM. I THINK IT IS TERRIFIC THAT YOUR SON IS SO INVOLVED IN SO MANY SPORTS, MINE ATE, DRANK AND SLEPT BASKETBALLL!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down